1. khawlaazwar

khawlaazwar New Member

What comes the first?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by khawlaazwar, Sep 4, 2014.

I've a little doubt about what I read last week about character development.

For me there is no rules like, creating the story then letting characters melt into it. Sometime I reverse the process.

Am I right na? What comes first should not matter. For me only one thing that matters, to tell the story.

Please guide me on this issue.

2. Empty Bird

Empty Bird New Member

There y'are!

Of course, it's good to have some kind of strucutre going, otherwise your story will just decend into chaos (been there, done that, only survived by the skin of my fingers and five cups of tea a day).

I don't believe in rules, per-se to creating a story, but I do very strongly believe in structure. For those people who can write a story without planning, I glare at them in the utmost envy. I wish I could! But some people can...some people can't. I'd say it was a healthy dose of trial and error, see what works for you.

Some people come up with the characters first, other people the story. As you said, it really doesn't matter! :)

khawlaazwar likes this.
  3. khawlaazwar

khawlaazwar New Member

You are so right! Crowd arises. Then, it becomes very difficult to whom give the prfference (story or character)?

But, as a writer this question has many times arised in my mind.....
    What is more important to us Story or character? One unwanted answer was 50-50

4. Empty Bird

Empty Bird New Member

Well, I'd definitely say that really, they're one in the same.

What's a story without a character?

And what's a character without a story?

They're both extremely important things, to be honest, and I don't believe you can have either without the other. A story with rubbish characters is no story at all, but a good character with a rubbish story is nothing, too!

At least, that's my opinion! :)

khawlaazwar likes this.
  5. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Every story is the telling of the journey of something--be it human, animal, or object-- through whatever path that something happens to take, be it the life of a person, the manufacturing of an object, or the growth of a plant.

Your character(s) is the the gravity of your writing and pulls in all of your ideas to form a story. Without the character, you would just have a bunch of jumbled up ideas. It may seem like you can create a story first before inserting the characters, but every action has a cause. Even if you do not know the specifics, you already have the essence of the characters necessary for your story to take place. "Letting the characters melt into it" is just the process of refining the necessary characters, but they were already there to begin with.

So... ideas --> characters --> story --> refined characters.

Simpson17866 and khawlaazwar like this.
  6. khawlaazwar

khawlaazwar New Member

Thanks,
    I think the problem is of understanding. For me Story is the most amazing thing if story comes in my mind first.
    I've never given importance to character. I develop the characters as much only as story requires. Sometime, character wants to say more but story's requirement does not allow this. So, I give preference to characters.
    So far discussing with you, I've realized that story writing is so much subjective.

Everyone has their own ideas and ways to tell the story. There are no hard and fast rules. If you want to tell the story tell it which ever way you choose.

Bye thanks for advice!

7. khawlaazwar

khawlaazwar New Member

Thanks for you advice. You know, I read one article long ago.

It taught me very amazing part of writing. It was about whatever you are thinking, writing or any art related activity your own life will be reflected in it. If you like some kind of stories or some kind of words to choose, then there must be psychological reason to it.

If you are somewhat sad personality, your stories will also go there in the caves of sorrow and your words can easily witness the feeling of darkness.

Do you have something that helps to get out of the current life and work on different stories which are very far from reality?
    Suppose I'm not happy but I've story which has a theme of comedy. At that time justice to story becomes impossible.

As you can see that I'm becoming little greedy, but I really taking writing serious now!

8. CastleEra

CastleEra Member

A story is a tale about a person's reaction to the events around them. If someone close to me dies, how will I react? My reaction will be entirely based around my past, my experiences, and everything that has made me who I am as a person. If I had a rough childhood I would react differently than someone who always had what they wanted. Every decision we make as people is the mental calculation of every single experience we've ever had. If a character is kinda dark and cold, there's a reason. If this character is optimistic then there is a reason from his past that makes him see things that way. I'd argue that it is impossible to have a story without the characters first existing because there is no story if there are no characters.

No matter what time period it is, no matter the premise and no matter the moral; people will always be people. We will be driven by past events that molded us into who we are and which give insight into our every actions. It seems unrealistic to try and force a character into an already created story structure after-the-fact when the character you've now created may not emotionally fit into the role you crafted before. If you want a brooding, cold and calculating character then the story will need to focus on how someone like him would make decision and react to events. If you made the story first the the character isn't reacting to the events naturally like someone of his out view on life would; he is simply reacting how the story dictates me must act.

9. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

You will just have to get out into the world and experience the things that you want to write about. if you want to write comedy, you should expose yourself to more comedy and try to understand it just a little bit. If you want to write something far from reality, you will have to just let your imagination fly.