1. SoulGalaxyWolf

SoulGalaxyWolf Active Member

Different Dimensions

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by SoulGalaxyWolf, Aug 4, 2016.

I hardly ever read books that use any mechanics such as different dimensions. I do know there are many types. I don't mean just the second dimension the third, the fourth dimension, although I'm curious how that could be implemented into a story as well. I mean like the small dimensions that are a slither out of reality that could easily fluctuate and change.
    I'm wondering if anyone ever wrote a story that includes these dynamics or if you are more knowledgeable about dimensions. How would you add different dimensions to your story?
    Would you think a dimension could be created by participating in time travel? How would you think a dimension is caused by natural causes? Is it just there?

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't know much about this subject but I do know that Youtube is quite the resource for this kind of thing. They have all kinds of videos there that could help you figure out what you want to know. Maybe inspire some ideas.

Also, I'm sure someone here will chime in with something poignant.

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Dimensions such as length, width, height and time? These are the four practical dimensions that we can observe. Or the concept of other world type 'dimensions', like space between space and alternate realities?

4. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

This makes me think of the book "House of Leaves." Research that, it definitely gets into that realm.

5. SoulGalaxyWolf

I would say alternate realities.

6. SoulGalaxyWolf

Thanks for the suggestion! I would definitely look into that.

7. SoulGalaxyWolf

Thank you, I looked it up on Youtube, and I did find good ideas. I found there are hidden dimensions that are called "hyperspace" fascinating. Why would you think someone will "Chime in with something poignant?"

8. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Science nitpick: "dimension" does not mean "place" the way that man scifi writers think that it does. If the concept "place" is more important to you than the word "dimension," then feel free to skip this, but if you'd like to know what scientists mean by "dimension":

When you have characters going to "the fourth dimension," but the place that they landed in still functions the same way that our world does, that simply means they went along an extra dimension into another 3-dimensional realm.

Like when you start on the x-axis of a graph (y = 0) and then go to a line that is 1 step up from the axis (y = 1), that new line is not "the second dimension".

There are small dimensions in addition to the large ones, but that doesn't mean small places hidden from "our dimension," that just means that you can't go as far along that dimension.

Like when you look at a power line from far away and it looks one dimensional, like an ant crawling across could only go back and forth, but the ant itself perceives that there are two dimensions: back-forth and clockwise-counterclockwise.

Which is important for modern physics because there can only be 3 large dimensions of space for reality to function the way we think it does, but our understanding of subatomic particles requires that there be at least 9 total dimensions of space, meaning that at least 6 of them have to be very very small in order not to mess up the math on the large scale.
    Now if you just mean "bubble of spacetime that is not easily accessible from the rest of spacetime," my understanding of modern physics is that you would have to make something up :p The closest thing that I am aware of to these isolated bubbles of spacetime is the Alcubierre Drive, a mathematical attempt at describing what a real-life Star Trek Warp Drive would look like.

It destroys everything in it's path. At faster-than-light speed. You may want something else.

... Any who, as for time travel, my favorite interpretations are:

changing the timeline rewrites the original reality, in which you might want to reference the idea that time might be 1 large dimension + some number of small dimensions (just as space is 3 large dimensions + at least 6 small dimensions), so that you can have a) a year 1900 "before" you changed anything, b) a year 2100 "before" you changed anything, c) a year 1900 "after" you changed something, and d) a year 2100 "after" you changed something.

or the timeline cannot be changed in the first place (whatever you're doing is because you already did it).​

9. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Refer to above post by @Simpson17866. That is the kind of relevant information that I was sure would show up. :D

SoulGalaxyWolf likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Or do you mean the alternate future implicit in going down the other leg in the trousers of time? In which case, A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

11. Vagrant Tale

Vagrant Tale Active Member

I don't have too much to add to this discussion, but you may want to look at 4D objects and related ideas.

Basically, objects that exist in the 4th dimension and above, that we cannot see

12. Yoav

Yoav Member

The most popular book that uses multiple dimensions should the Narnia chronicles, and The Magicians also follows, however they are usually focusing on Earth and one another dimension, and also the dimension between dimensions.

13. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Which I would call "realms" rather than "dimensions" :rolleyes:

tonguetied likes this.
  14. Sniam

Sniam Member

If you want some reference on how dimensions higher than the third might work, I highly suggest you watch the movie Interstellar by Christopher Nolan. It's 2h30 long but I think it is worth it to try to grasp the concept of relativity and 4th dimension.
    ...plus you get to see black holes and stars and big planets with frozen clouds you can walk on :bigeek: