1. Mark Curry

Mark Curry New Member

Looking for someone who likes to Edit

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mark Curry, Dec 28, 2012.

im looking for somebody who would like to edit my book.. its called "Dancing with the Devil, how Puff burned the Bad Boys of Hip-Hop" if you like to just read and edit..

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Hi Mark,

I like to edit, but I'm quite busy, so how long is your book, and what genre are we talking about here? I'm not 100% sure I can do it, so don't get your hopes up just yet. :)

3. Mark Curry

Mark Curry New Member

300 Pages.. Non Fiction..

4. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

how many words?

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Sorry to disappoint you, but I do not read much nonfiction (as I do not like it) and therefore I would not be a suitable candiate for editing your book. Apologies. :(

6. domenic.p

domenic.p Banned

There are many people who can edit your book. They charge from $1,000 to $3,000 depending on the word count, and what you want done.
    The world of writing is like the medical field. If you can't afford it...you die.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

domenic's right... editing a whole book is way too much work to expect anyone who's competent to do for free... you need to learn how to edit your own work, if you hope to have a career as a writer...

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Professional editing services are for those writers who can do their own editing, but are constrained by contractual deadlines. In order to choose a professional editor, you must be able to evaluate how well the editor understands and respects your personal style. A mystery writer I know ended a relationship with her first editor, not bedcause the editing was bad, but the editor just didn't think the same way as she did, writing-wise. She took more than a year evaluating other prospective editors until she found one she was more attuned with. And because she had a mult-novel contract, it was worth the expense to offload some of the editing to the professional editor.

No unpublished writer should waste money on a professional editor. The act of finding and fixing all the problems yourself is invaluable to your growth as a writer.

A writing tutor is another matter. A good tutor will point out your writing weanesses, and may provide hints on how to address them, but will leave the actual editing to you.

One more thing: posting to seek professional services from members is a form of advertising, and is prohibited under the site rules.