1. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul Member

Looking to Expand Your Writing Abilities?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by mypensmysoul, Nov 22, 2007.

I came up -well, okay, I was inspired by a dear friend, with a great idea to stretch my writing abilities.

I am going to write a story, 5 stories, each one dealing with a person who is without a sense. Each one will be from the perspective of a blind, deaf, mute, smell-less, and touch-less person. (Alright, I might twist it on those last two -maybe for touch, I'll do a person who cannot feel pain, etc.)

I'm really excited to start this and I really think it will improve my writing!

Feel free to join me on my 'quest.'

And if many are so inclined, I may just post the finished products here. :cool:

-What do you think?

2. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    This is interesting.
    From my own experience writing about a blind (or nearly blind) person is a nice challenge, that really expands your writing capabilities if done well.

As for the touchless, people with leprosy lose their sense of touch. So they don't feel pain and have trouble judging pressure, and other things. You might want to look that up in your research.

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Hmmmm....if only I had the time. This is actually funky. But I'll try.

4. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul Member

Dom -Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I looked up the sense touch and found something called CIPA as well. People with CIPA cannot judge between hot/cold temperatures, cannot sweat, and also cannot feel pain. But leprosy actually seems more intriguing to me; I might do leprosy instead.. :)

Anthraxx -I hope you do find the time to do this. I'm hoping to make my writing more detailled and tangible from this project/long excercise, and although I have no proof -yet- I really think it will help anyone's writing.

-P.S. I also looked up the technical term for someone who cannot smell, which is anosmia which is also linked with a person who cannot taste, called aguesia (sp?).

5. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

To me, this sounds like it will be very difficult. Let us know how you think you did once you're finished.

6. Esaul

Esaul Member

i might try sometime. Seems interesting enough.

7. Esaul

Esaul Member

Sorry! meant to click new topic >_<

8. Remas367

Remas367 Member

I think this is a good idea, I will try this because I am looking to raise my ability in writing in a fun way. I would also like to see your stories posted here also so I can see what direction you went with them...

9. Kit

Kit Contributing Member Contributor

Good luck :)

10. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul Member

Yeah, I can't wait! I don't normally have much time on the computer, but I'm getting a laptop for Christmas, so much work is ahead, and I cannot wait! :)

11. Edward

Edward Active Member

I once wrote a short (very short) story about a girl who was blind and could only see ghosts.

It was rather difficult, and it would probably be harder without the ghosts.