Looking to get into Fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by DvnMrtn, Jan 17, 2010.

1. aniolel

aniolel New Member

I have to concur that Lord of the rings, which has superb story-telling, is a excellent place to begin. After wards, read any Braden Sanderson works., for he is also very talented.

2. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

The bookstore I went to hardly had any of the suggestions! I was kinda disappointed but I did get a copy of The Hobbit :)

3. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

I buy a lot of books online. I especially love amazon.com because you can read reviews and see what people are saying about it. Plus there's usually used copies for a good price. Bookstores are limited by shelf space but the internet has no limits. Happy hunting.

4. Coldwriter

Coldwriter New Member

Some say in an idealistic bubble they cant wait to
    What bookstore did you go to? That's surprising. But Inkdream is right, Amazon is especially great. Good prices, I buy books from there every month.

5. SirSamkin

SirSamkin Member

How about Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy, or Tamora Pierce's "lioness" series. not the highest caliber stuff. but probably some of the most interesting books I've read.

6. Vacuum Eater

Vacuum Eater New Member

I'd recommend you check out the library first. Too many times, I've come across novels with rave reviews, and, after reading them, I was very glad to have checked them out for free instead of dishing out the cash . . . Sometimes, you just can't predict if you'll like a book or not until you're about halfway through it.

7. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Me too.

Though someday if I ever get published I may learn to despise this attitude...

8. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

Fantasy is probably my favorite genre, just ahead of sci-fi. Some fantasy books I've read and really enjoyed:

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
    The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
    The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

A lot of people rag on Paolini, but personally I like the series and look forward to the final book. I'm also really surprised no one mentioned Artemis Fowl. It is a great series.

9. SirSamkin

SirSamkin Member

Paolini is a thief. he took like half of his names from Beowulf, and robbed like six books to make his plot. I scribbled out the title on my copy of eragon, and wrote Beowulf 2 on it.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, but other than that, did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

11. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny is a must-read. I'm serious, you must read at least the first one. Nine Princes of Amber was the first fantasy book I picked up that made me go: "This is fantasy? You can actually write a fantasy book like this? Why didn't anyone tell me that sooner!?"

I also recommend the Cygnet duology by Patricia A McKillip, primarily because you will most likely never experiance anything else quite like them.

Finally, take look at the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.

Oh, and literally anything/everything by Terry Pratchett.

12. THX-1138

THX-1138 New Member

Terry Pratchetts Disc World series.

13. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

The Sword of Truth series. Book I is Wizard's First Rule.
    Oh, and of course The Redemption of Althalus, as well as being possibly the longest single fantasy book ever written, is a good book.

14. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I absolutely LOVE the Heir's Apperience. It's amazing and by far the best fantasy (hopefully I got the right genre) I've ever read!

Yes, I probably spelled the name wrong, so PLEASE correct me!

15. Atari

Atari Active Member

Something easy to get into would probably be A. Lee Martinez's books.
    Gills All Fright Diner, The Nameless Witch, In the Company of Ogres (My favorite) the Automatic Detective, among others.

Start with any, really, but Gills All Fright Diner is definitely a place that you cannot go wrong.
    The reason I suggest these is because they are basically light reading, and they are fantasy, but they are also comedies. (Of the absurd sort, and very clever)
    Great stuff.

16. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

That's what I think is the problem with fantasy. People expect it to be stale and cliche. I'd love to see more fantasy that has no swords, no crusader-type heroes, no dark evil overlord and above all, no dragons in it. They're probably out there, but it's discouraging to have to dig through so much crap based on dated romantic notions in order to find them.

If you know what I'm talking about, throw me a few titles!

17. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

The book I'm reading right now is called 'Sandman Slim' by Richard Kadrey. It's placed in a modern setting. Wizard who was dragged to hell has escaped and is back with a vengeance type of story. There are equal parts guns and knives to magic and is a very different type of fantasy novel. However, there are still dark overlords and I find the writing itself could have been better (although I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through). A very different contemporary spin on a classic genre though.

18. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Whoever recommended Neil Gaiman...Thank you. Fifteen pages in--still the introduction--and I'm hooked.

Neil Gaiman - Smoke and Mirrors

19. Tigress

Tigress New Member

I love threads like this as I am always looking for a new series to start, so thanks for asking about this DM! I see you've already gotten into reading something, but I figured I'd add my two cents worth since I didn't see Katherine Kurtz mentioned here yet.

Her Deryni series was my own introduction into the realm of fantasy reading and I never looked back.

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I am not too much of a fantasy fan. I grew up with space ships, not wizards. But I did enjoy the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster.

I thought it was witty and sharp.

21. BBWalter

BBWalter New Member

All are great recommendations. You could add Christopher Stasheff- Her Majesty's Wizard to your list. And Melanie Rawn- Sunrunner's Fire. (P.S. Cannot remember if this is the first book in the series or not, please reference to make certain it is the first book before reading. :))

BB Walter

22. Endricte

Endricte New Member

The Coldfire Trilogy - C. S. Friedman

I was pretty obsessed with Forgotten Realms when younger. But these titles were what stuck with me over the years.

The Icewind Dale Trilogy - R. A. Salvatore
    Spellfire - Ed Greenwood (This is the book that got me to love fantasy)
    The Moonshae Trilogy - Douglas Niles

23. Stormyyy

Stormyyy New Member

The Bartimaeus Trilogy is pretty unique i think. In the series it is the magicians who are evil and enslave the demons to do their will. The magicians/government are corrupt and self serving.

24. Mouser

Mouser New Member

Can't beat Neil Gaiman I think. Agree with The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, HDM by Phillip Pullman and the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix.

Chronicles of Amber... I wanted to burn my own eyes out after reading that. I bought the massive all in one ten books volume on a recommendation and couldn't even finish the first book.

25. WarofWrath

WarofWrath New Member

Fantasy Tips

any tips is appreciated.
    I'm mainly looking for types of characters and plots I should avoid,how many main characters should there be.
    I'll take any advice.
    Thank you