1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Lord "Name" or his lordship?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Wreybies, Dec 12, 2013.

When it comes to which one would use when speaking about someone with the title in the third person in a conversation with someone else. A and B are speaking about C; C is a lord. Is it a matter of personal preference? Is there a class distinction? Does using one over the other say something about the speaker? Does it flow back and forth simply to avoid over-repetition of either? I come from a land where we have no such; thus, I have no innately enculturated sense of it.

Helps? :oops:

P.S. I have a follow-up question over here: Lords and Ladies but now royals or other such titles?

2. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I feel like "Lord Name" is much more formal than 'lordship', but I think that they could be used interchangeably in conversation.

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I think it's interchangeable as well.
    Maybe, if anything, using Lord Name is a bit more friendly and familiar while Lordship is more distant, reserved, or polite.
    It could be just based on how you'd address them depending on the relationship.

4. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

If countless hours watching Downton Abbey can help me, here is my guide

"Lordship" is hardly used, to my knowledge (But I have watched the show in a while, so my knowledge could be a little rusty).

"My Lord/ Lady", which is used more frequently, is regularly used the staff.

Example- "My Lord, would you like some tea, perhaps?"

"Lord ----" is used upon meeting more nobility.

Example- "Nice to meet you, Lord Greengrass"

The official title could be also used, such as- "Lord Stuart Greengrass, Earl of Badgerton"

Hope this helped.

I would recommend watching Downton, if possible.

5. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

I think that his lordship would be more frequent when it's clear who is being referred to and also more commonly used by the lower classes. "His lordship wishes to take lunch on the lawn", the butler informed the maids. It sounds more deferential, somehow.

Lord x would be more common when there are more lords about and thus the possibility of confusion, definitely when the speaker is also a lord (or higher), and in official situations.

If you give an example of a specific situation you're not sure about, I'll happily offer my opinion.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There are two examples. One is conversation between the house maid and the head cook in the kitchen. The other is simply the head maid's inner dialogue, her thoughts. This area of the forum isn't appropriate for excerpts, so I will refrain. In the lord's presence, I'm comfortable with the structure of the dialogue, my question is really more concerning when he is not in the room and is topic of discussion between the others who are of no lofty station.

7. Patra Felino

Patra Felino Active Member

Well, assuming that there's only one lord in the house, I think I'd favour "his lordship" in both instances.

8. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

Then that depends on your character's personalities. Bitchy characters may say "he" but even then they call them "My Lordship", most likely sarcastically. Others may be grateful about their employers, especially if the era is during times of poverty and unemployment. This will be your decision and it's rather important one to make.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'my lordship' would make no sense... would have to be 'his' or 'your'...

10. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

That's me not checking before posting.:rolleyes: