1. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

Losing confidence in my outline

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Brandon P., Dec 23, 2011.

I've finished a rough outline/synopsis for my current WIP, but right now I'm unenthusiastic about it. The first problem is that I wonder if it's too saturated with fight scenes; I normally like action-packed Conan the Barbarian-type stories, but I fear that if I overdo the action, both I and my readers will tire of it. Secondly, writing according to an outline constrains me, especially since I've created a whole world for my story and want to explore more of it than my current outline allows. The third major reason is that the only person I know who has reviewed my current outline is my mother, and as much as I love her, I don't trust someone who loves me back to objectively evaluate my creative output.

I would ask someone else I didn't know that well personally to review my outline except that I don't know if outlines can be reviewed the way excerpts from actual stories can. I've heard more than once that it's how you write the story that matters, not the initial ideas behind it, which has given me the impression that outlines cannot be reviewed. If that's indeed the case, what should I do?

2. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

I think I know the fundamental problem now: my current outline didn't feature everything I want in my story. I've decided to make a list of things I definitely want the story to feature and work out how to combine those things into a coherent narrative.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Or maybe you're at the point where you need to actually start writing the book. Outlines don't have to be massive or detailed or include everything. And sometimes you just need to start writing to see where it needs to go and what needs to happen.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I agree with shadowwalker. Just because you've written an outline doesn't mean you can't write anything that isn't included in it. I look at it like a road map, to know I'm going in the right direction, but of course it won't tell me what to see along the way. that would be taking away the fun of it. plus why do you want anyone to review your outline for you? concentrate on writing the story first and let someone review it once it's ready, just an outline can never tell if it's going to be a good story anyway. if you believe in it, just write it.

5. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

As a matter of fact, I have already written the book's first chapter and am working on the second. Neither really follow my outline that closely.