1. Eedjii

Eedjii Member

Losing steam

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Eedjii, Jun 14, 2014.

So, has anyone started writing a book and doubted its potential before it got finished?

I ask this because, I've gotten around 10,000 words in, but I just can't help shake the feeling that it'll turn out to be a hot pile of garbage. It's a story about the sides of people that don't get shown. Centered around a gaming tournament. It's supposed to be reminiscent of a Judd Apatow movie, only, y'know- good! :p And maybe a mix of something like mighty ducks for good measure (see why I think it'll be bad yet? :p)

Perhaps it's because of the odd setting, but i feel like it'll be so crap.

So what I'm getting at is, what is the best course of action for a work that you're not too sure of? Rush through it? Put it off for a while? Stop over-thinking things so much?

And also. does anyone know of a similar book that is not Ready Player One? I feel like reading books like my idea may be a good idea, I'm just not too sure if they exist. Gaming stories or comedies would do i suppose. OH, and they should be heavily grounded in reality, since reading about Werewolves who play Tetris might not do me much good... Or will it?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Everything I write is pure gold so no idea how you feel. I is best writer eva!

But there was a story or two that I once wrote outside of my usual genre and at first I was excited for it but little by little I grew to hate it. After I realized I didn't like it, I stopped writing it since I didn't owe it to anyone to finish it. If I can't enjoy the story, how the hell am I supposed to make it so the readers will too?

Basically, if you think what you're writing is not good or won't be good, then you might as well stop and try something else or research it until you find a path that'll get you excited. Writing quality stuff is hard enough, never mind writing quality stuff about something you don't believe in to begin with.

Can't recommend any gaming books, as I've never read one. Closest thing is Otherland by Tad Williams though it's only a minor point in the books.

3. Eedjii

Eedjii Member

Yeah, I'm not sure if that'll do, and you know what? I may have phrased the question wrong.

I love the idea of the book (which is why i started making it i guess :p) but I'm just not sure if it would prove interesting for the readers, just reading about some low-key deal, since no one dies or anything.

That's certainly some good advice though, thanks :)

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Author's aren't allowed to kill their characters anymore. If they do, everyone just thinks G.R.R. Martin wanna-be :p

If they can make anthropologic forensic interesting, anything can be interesting. It doesn't matter if they are a coked-up CEO, a destitute civilian, or a nerdy office worker, that's not what interest the reader. The characters themselves and what/how they go through is the proverbial Catcher in the Rye... I have no idea what I just said.

Not every story has big exciting moments like epic battles or life or death situations, some stories are very droll and the action is titilating at best. Like.. Anne's Rice vampire stories, I can't remember anything overly exciting happening in any of them but it still held my interest because it was well written and the characters were well written.

So, some people won't like your book because the action isn't at an 11 but some readers enjoy books more aimed toward the slice-of-life genre,

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Work on other stuff for a while, and come back to this project later. Trying to force it may cause the quality of your writing to suffer. After all, if you lose interest, what incentive do you have to write well?

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It's very common for beginning writers to think they should write perfection. And when they review their work and see that it isn't perfect, they get discouraged. But if this is your first (or even second) attempt at a novel, the likelihood is that you have many thousands of words ahead of you before you have something of publishable quality (there is a saying among writers that the first million words you write are practice). But even when you do have a finished first draft of what you are convinced is the ONE, you have many hours of editing ahead of you before you can submit it to an editor (James Michener, one of my favorite writers, once said, "I'm not a very good writer; however, I'm an excellent re-writer").

If you really think your project is going off the rails, a time-out is a good idea. Go back to the best novels you've read - whether you are writing in the same genre or not - and examine how they tell their stories, then compare it to how you are telling yours (not talking about the content of the stories - that's got to be yours and yours alone; stop thinking about imitating anyone) and see what changes you need to make.

Best of luck.

7. live2write

live2write Contributing Member

I was in a similar boat as you. I would write a story and then after about 10,000 words or so I would start doubting what I have written. Especially when I read it and re-read it, it does not seem to hit the nail on the head.

I have been working on several stories over the years bouncing between ideas and trying to find the gold. It has been taking me awhile because life and my job consume me to the point that I am not in that state of mind to write.

Interesting that I had found my old writing journals dating between 2005 - 2009. Reading them out of curiosity, my ideas have changed and my writing was terrible. However, I realized that the more I write and rewrite and storyboard and jump between ideas, the better I have become and the more developed my ideas had become.

When you start writing, it doesn't have to be a straight to published masterpiece. Many writers write rough draft after rough draft until they find what they were looking for. Some ideas are more complex than others. It is a process.

If everybody wrote masterpieces on the first try, anybody could be a writers and finding one would be a dime on a dozen.

Some tips that would help you:

1. Don't overthink your writing. Yes, all writers have doubts to their directions and their ideas, these can be changed overtime.

2. Let it sink in and take a break or let somebody (like a close friend who can be honest) read it and listen to their opinion. I have found through this method, I am able to find out if what I am writing translates well and I am able to receive feedback through questions like "Does this character like the MC, or are they just friends?" or "Why did the MC do this rather than that?"

3. Have a plan: break down your story into chapters. Example:

---Chapter 1---
    Write down the goals you want to accomplish for the first chapter
    Goal #1 Introduce main character
    Goal #2 Describe setting
    Goal #3 Introduce conflict 1

List of actions to take place in story
    1. MC playing the newest free download on steam.
    2. Friends are joining in, it sucks but, she is enjoying the online platform
    3. Mother walks in, scolding her about the noise and reminds her how late it is
    4. etc.
    5. etc.
    6. etc.....
    ---End Chapter 1---

By doing this, you will set yourself some guidelines that will help you keep you on track and meet your expectations of how you want the story to go.

Now remember, stories change with time. Sometimes you will realize you need to change your ideas 1/2 way through your novel. All Writers Go Through This.

Good Luck, have fun and keep on writing.