1. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Losing Voice in Words

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by No-Name Slob, Jun 23, 2016.

I'm told often by random old acquaintances, friends, strangers, etc. on social media that I should write a blog or a book on parenting. I have a certain voice on social media. It's raw, witty, and relatable. I appreciate this voice. And I have thought many a time about blogging about my observations on parenting ... taking the seemingly mundane and making people laugh is kinda' my thing.

Here's the problem -- I lose this voice any time I try to write anything longer than 500 or so characters. It always comes out preachy or pointed, with some grand statement, that maybe should be said, but isn't my goal. I just want to keep the raw wit ... I just want people to laugh.

No matter how much I try, I lose it. How the hell do I keep my wit in length?! Anyone else have this problem?

jannert likes this.
  2. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Contributing Member

Well, I like to write flash fiction so maybe I do have that problem too, although I never really thought of it that way.

I don't see why you couldn't write very short blog posts, though. Maybe add photos, kid book and product reviews, kid craft ideas and so on, too, if you like that kind of thing. Good luck.

3. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

If writing short, witty vignettes is your thing, then write short, witty vignettes. I could recommend that you try to think of longer passages as multiple shorter passages, but you've probably already tried that. My main point is that this doesn't have to hold you back from making it into a blog or book.

Coincidentally, I've actually read a mostly humor/partly parenting book where three-quarters of the chapters are four or less pages long. It might help you identify how that style can work in a book format.

Also, I'd definitely read your blog if you started one.

Sifunkle and No-Name Slob like this.
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I have a similar problem with my first drafts coming out preachy or angsty or with self-conscious pseudo-grandeur. I wish I had coherent advice for fixing it, but for me fixing it is editing, word by word, phrase by phrase, metaphor by metaphor, in multiple sweeps. Through all the editing, I try to maintain a feeling of ....what to call it? Maybe a mental "shrug."

No-Name Slob likes this.
  5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

500 words is a good length for a blog. Mine usually come out about 800 and they seem rather long. The blogs I visit most are more like 300 words--bites, snippets that I can read when I'm taking a five minute break or when I'm waiting for a bus or when I'm on the toilet.

People's attention spans are generally quite short, especially when they're just browsing blogs rather than looking for specific advice. And even when looking for specific advice, sometimes you want a quick answer rather than a 2,000-word exploration of the various arguments.

So I say... write 500 words.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  6. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee The writer formerly known as Chained. Contributor

It's your foundation. Building something intelligent and witty is fun, but if you just keep stacking ideas on top of ideas your going to have a problem with physics.

Build a decent base first, get some decent characterization and world building going, and then torture them with wit and cynicism.

7. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

Yup.

The only solution I've come up with that seems to help at all is rewrite the shit out of it.