1. kablooblab

kablooblab Member

Lost interest in writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by kablooblab, Mar 17, 2011.

I know it seems kind of stupid but I got a short story assignment for school that I worked hard on but it was so bad that my teacher wouldn't even finish reading it:(. That hurt and it took a hard hit on my interest in writing although I still have ideas coming to me I just don't want to write them down because I feel like a bad writer. Thats also why I haven't posted in here for a while. Should I just force myself to sit down and write until I start liking it again?

2. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

You probably are a bad writer. Most people are. You have to write about a million words before you become a good writer. So the way to become good isn't giving up, it to start writing.

Enjoy writing in itself, not the feeling if you good or bad at it. Settle for the feeling that you are getting better at it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Emotion, Intuition and Ratio are the three main forces in life that needs in balance. My assessment from your few words is that you need a dote of Ratio to get your Emotion back in line. Analyze. Be honest to yourself and see where the tutor has a point. See if you can improve. If not, move on. Do a cold read (put it away a few weeks) and analyze again. If then you are still negative about your writing abilities, forget it and find another challenge that does match your skills and talents. There is more to life than just writing.
    HTH.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

Well... not reeeeally. Surely? :p

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Writing is sometimes hard work. And when I write 'sometimes' I mean often. It's not like you will be inspired all the time, and it's not like you need to like it all the time either. If it's something you do, out of a compulsion you'll do it anyway.

6. Ion

Ion Senior Member

You must love writing long, long before you will become a good writer.

I still remember my fifth grade teacher's response to a short story I wrote for an assignment. I remember that he drew a picture of the protagonist of the story based on how I had described him--it was an object lesson. His drawing was nothing like what I had pictured in my head. I was distraught. He told me that I needed to think about what the reader would see when they read my words, because they wouldn't be able to see what I saw in my head.

I sucked as a writer forever, but I never stopped writing because I wanted to tell stories. I think everyone has a few hundred pages worth of completely awful words in them. If you take the time to write them out, you won't regret it.

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

i agree with what has been said above. I felt the exact same way when finishing a draft this winter and reading it through-it sucked! But then somebody told me we all have a right to be bad and that is no reason for stop writing altogether. if you do, you sure will never be good at it. even if you would be bad right now (which is NOT something you should take for granted just because your teacher said so) there is nothing that says you cannot write just out of pure love for the writing, for your own pleasue. Lots of people have hobbies even though they know they will never make a living as professionals out of it. But dont give up, with a lot of practise you will get better and better. It is something you learn with practise, no one is born with the ability to write bestsellers without any practise.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

'The first draft of anything is sh*t' - Ernest Hemmingway.

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

I don't see the point in writing if you don't enjoy it. Writing can be like a chore sometimes, and I'd much rather play video games or surf the internet. Even now, I should be writing, because I force myself to write 5000 words a day and I have only written 1500. Now and then it feels like every sentence on the screen sounds worse than the previous one. But you know what? I still love writing, and can't imagine not doing it, even if it's the last thing I want to do sometimes. You can compare it to having a dog. The walking and the training can drive you insane sometimes, and then the dog snuggles with you on the couch, and you just know you love him no matter what.

Maybe all you need is a little break, or maybe you need to force yourself to write, but if you don't enjoy it in the end, just quit. If the dog snuggling with you doesn't make the work worth it, the dog is better off in a new home. The world's not gonna end. You're gonna find other things you enjoy doing.

10. nhope

nhope Contributing Member Reviewer

Writers need to stop feeling, and saying, that the first things they write are crap, and, to stop taking it personally when someone else tells them that.

The only way you will enjoy what you write is if YOU love what you write. Don't read it and think it's horrible, read it and think it's wonderful, and then write more wonderful things.

Leave out the rest of the world and all the quotes and all the words of others saying firsts are hard. I think writing is the only profession where people are doomed before they even start.

11. Ion

Ion Senior Member

That's pretty much the key right there.

Write what you would want to read. You have your job and school to write the things you don't like for. There's no reason not to enjoy yourself. When I'm writing stuff for whatever story I'm working on, I'm generally pretty pleased. It's what I want to be doing, and usually I have fun.

12. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Contributing Member Contributor

Your teacher sounds like a douche.

13. Ion

Ion Senior Member

Ah, memories.

14. Trish

Trish I've been deleted.. again Contributor

Do you write letters? I only ask because when I was a kid I had notebooks FULL of letters. To everyone. My parents, friends, grandparents, my dog, sister, the neighbor down the street. Now I know how positively ridiculous that sounds, but I never gave them to anyone, and I protected the books with my life til I burned them, but they taught me how to write. I told each of those people about my life, about the other people, about everything, the way I thought they would want to hear it. It helped me get my frustrations out, my heartaches, learn to write emotions. Maybe something like that would help?

15. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Yes, just keep writing. You'll never get anywhere if you let those thoughts of anxiety and failure get to you. They'll win in the end if you beat about the bush. Give it a try. I've forced myself to start writing, and I've improved so much. And I like it now too.

16. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon Senior Member

My first "novel" was laughable. I wouldn't worry about it....just keep practising if you enjoy writing.

17. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Herregud! :eek: isnt that a little TOO much? I mean, that is some kind of pressure you have on yourself. Or does the rest of you write as much a day as well and I am the "small scale writer?" :rolleyes:

this almost calls for a new post asking people how much they actually write on a daily basis, and if they put up goals to themselves...

18. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

To put it in perspective, 5k words is only about 7 pages in open office. I set that goal for myself because I realized I had no problem writing that much if I was "in the zone", so it shouldn't be a problem even if I had to force myself. It's basically just a way to make sure my stories actually get done.

1 person likes this.
  19. SeverinR

SeverinR Contributing Member

I have told others and remind myself,

"Don't let the work of writing, ruin the fun of writing."
    Write to satisfy yourself, and work on making it better, so others will like it.

Writing is a blend of:
    using the right words, having a good story, being able to work the words together like an painter mixes paint for just the right shade. Making strong believable interesting characters, being able to express what happens, making the exciting events exciting, the emotional, emotional, etc.

Any one item can be outstanding, but if even one fails, the work fails.
    You could be outstanding in most areas, but if one item fails, the work suffers. The art of writing is weighed down heavily.
    Great parts do not balance out the weaker parts, the weaker parts bog down the good. Bad out weighs the good.

You might have shiny Ferrari parts but the junk yard parts will show more.
    Basically the Least common denominator in writing.

20. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributing Member Contributor

Win :D

The only advice anyone can really give you is "suck it up," and that sounds mean. But even if you don't want to be a writer, it's good to get used to the idea that people are probably going to be mean to you from time to time when you fail. Failure's the best way to learn. Pick yourself up and try again.

Yes, your teacher sounds like a douche. But there are loads and loads of bad teachers out there. My take on this: these petty, self-absorbed creatures have very little significance in your life in the long term. It's the rare good teachers -- the ones who know how to inspire and motivate you that end up making the difference. I'd suggest consoling yourself that in three or four years this teacher's opinion is going to mean nothing to you. You'll move past it and on to bigger and better things.

21. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

Sounds harsh, but very true.

22. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

Sounds like a good plan. THE SOLUTION to my unfinished stories woes. Seriously, I like this plan a lot. Thanks spklvr.

23. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributing Member Contributor

I write a lot but not THAT much. If you're forcing yourself you're not going to make as good product - and it sounds like it from what you say. I'm guessing this is just first drafts or whatever, so the quality doesn't matter, but though I can write up to 10,000 words a day on a REALLY hot day and 5,000 when I put my mind to it, I usually clock out at around 1500-2000 words because I felt that was my best effort for the day and no matter how much more I *could* write I don't want to because it'll be rubbish, give me more work to do later, and send me into a cycle of hating my writing. Trust me, I've done NaNoWriMo every year for the last 4 years. I know how it goes. :p

24. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

It doesn't matter even if you are crap every writer improves with practice - Spklvr raises a good point that setting yourself tasks everyday really helps. It doesn't have to be 5K every writer has their own limits but I do know that new writers who have set similar goals based on knowledge of their own ability have seen improvement in their quantity and over time quality of output because their brain goes into the 'zone' at the appropriate time everyday (their output has also increased) - I spend time writing with published authors some write 900 words in the 20 minutes, others write 90 words in the same timeframe. What is important is you improve as you go on and the end product. How you decide to get to the end product is upto you. Also the stage of writing you are at affects how much you write (I write more on second draft, less on edits). You have to find your own way - you may never get published but then you may. You are never going to get published if you don't write something and you will never improve.

I generally average 80,000 words in 21 days, more if I include short stories and posts on here lol But I type fast, I was used to deadlines in my working life and the mindset of a writer is very similar to being an archaeologist. Between 3 and 6 thousand is my normal day - 25K has been known when I have nothing else and am being fed. I manage my 3-6K in two hours where I just write for that time everyday - I then write one morning a weekend which makes up my numbers. I have written well over my million this year doing it this way. But again find your own groove and what you are comfortable with.

However over the summer I will be doing less as I should have four novels that need editing by then.

25. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

As Elgaisma said, many of us are bad writers to begin with. In addition, you should not be discouraged to stop writing. If you are burned out on writing, you should put your book down for a while (something that I did and I have not read a single of my chapters ever since) and then come back to it. Your mind on writing will refresh as your interest restores. So I actually "quit" writing for a few months and then came back, that is because I always loved writing.

Anyway, do not let anyone put you down on writing, even if your critics are rude and nasty. I got over this laughingstock comments when I had someone to review a terrible chapter I posted in the forums. In addition, a baby would not start walking right off the back, as the writer would not structure a professional piece of craft up front. Even if you do lose interest in writing, you should at least give yourself time to read other people's writings and review other people's work. This is what the review room is for, is to help you improve your writing. Moreover, believe me; you will never fail at writing just as a baby would not fail at walking until you give up completely on writing.