1. Sam Frost

Sam Frost Member

Lost my motivation, help!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sam Frost, Dec 23, 2015.

So, these last few days I've lost my motivation and just need to get back on the horse and make writing exciting again. Any advice?

2. jmh105

jmh105 Member

Be on the lookout for new ideas! You write your best when you're inspired.
    Even so, the more you procrastinate, the quicker you lose any semblance of motivation. If ideas don't come easily to you, you might have to bring yourself to write something--anything--to get the momentum going until you come across a great idea.

Talking about your ideas with others might also get you more excited. I find that works with me!

Sam Frost likes this.
  3. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

When my motivation is down I usually remember how much of my life has been wasted on drinking and my soul crunching job and how I don't want to waste anymore life not pursuing something better and more fulfilling.

AASmith and Tea@3 like this.
  4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Ben414 likes this.
  5. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

My motivation is although I think of everyone here as fellow writers, in many ways you are my enemy, my competition, we, Sam frost, are at war. There is only one opening at such and such publishers, and I am going to beat you to it!

Good luck! :)

Sam Frost likes this.
  6. Lew

Lew Contributing Member Contributor

Got discouraged with my WIP @2000, stopped working at it, talked a bit about it off and on, but did nothing. Picked it up again in 2013, found it really was a good story worth finishing, now 250K words, it's too long but it's done.

Keep writing, don't fall into the 13 year gap, it's much better than you think it is right now

7. Tea@3

Tea@3 Contributing Member

I think the 'apply butt to chair' method works best in your situation, but it's HARD TO make oneself overcome the resistance to doing it, to Just Sitting There.

I'd say change the goal. Make it NOT be about word count or any other thing, make it just one goal, a very simple goal, that you will Sit There For One Hour And Not Stand Up For Any Reason Period. Keep in mind:
    • If nothing happens, so be it.
    • If nothing happens, that's not a bad thing
    • If nothing happens, the time was not wasted
    • Try free-writing, just typing silly stuff
    I had a similar sensation a week ago when I made this thread:

http://www.writingforums.org/threads/do-you-keep-typing-when-you-arent-feeling-anything.143327/

:write:

Sam Frost likes this.
  8. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

Try thinking about the next scene you want to write, perhaps you are in a writers block in which case think about changing the direction of you book. Maybe it doesn't feel right because it isn't right.

Sam Frost likes this.
  9. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

So true! I also think about where you would be if you wrote X amount of words every day you chose not to write.

Tea@3 likes this.
  10. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

@Tea@3, that's the same advice that my therapist gave me. We were talking about my inability (at that time) to even finish a story that I started. So, he told me to carve out an hour from my schedule and just sit at the computer to write. Even if I don't write anything, it's more about being in the space than anything else.

However, to try and make that time somewhat productive, if I didn't have anything more to add to my story, I would sometimes write in my journal. I found that when I started writing about other things, not related to my story, just the act of getting my thoughts on paper (so to speak) generated an interest in continuing my story.

I don't think I said that as well as I meant to, but I'm sure you can get the gist of it.

Tea@3, Sam Frost and DeadMoon like this.
  11. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

Spend some time brainstorming. Jot down ideas, let yourself do some free writing. I'm working on regaining motivation too after a long illness. Life as a writer is always challenging.

Haze-world and datahound2u like this.
  12. Haze-world

Haze-world Senior Member Supporter

This may sound a little strange, but I spin wool and created my world on the wheel. I get lots of ideas when spinning. If you have creative things that you do, set yourself a task, or draw or colour something in, but restrict it in some way, certain colours only, drawing in certain style, to make yourself think about what you are doing. It will keep your brain creative, but make you focus on your new thing keeping your mind open for inspired thoughts. Also, it takes the focus
    off worrying about not feeling creative with your writing.
    : )

Sam Frost, peachalulu and Lifeline like this.
  13. Sam Frost

Sam Frost Member

Oh my goodness there are so many good ideas here! It seems that @Tea@3 and @datahound2u butt in the chair idea seems to be what has done the trick, but I plan to keep all these ideas in mind for next time. Thank you all so much!

Tea@3, datahound2u and Haze-world like this.
  14. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I like to make a fake book cover in Photoshop. Nothing like visualizing the finished book to make you want to finish it - :)

15. Tea@3

That's a cool idea. I've thought of doing that. Are there templates for it or do you build it from scratch?

I could see 'knocking off' some of my favorite authors' covers supplanting my own name and title. ;)

16. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I build from scratch.
    But I think if you Google there should be some templates out there.
    I usually try and find a cover I like and borrow something creatively to make it easier. For Worms of Wicher Woo - I loved the corner embellishments I seen on old book covers so I used them. Right now as I'm working on Not Pink I found a great tone on tone cover that I liked and am trying to incorporate that detail.

Brusheezy is also a good site for free wallpaper and brushes.

Tea@3 likes this.
  17. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

This is going to sound trite... perhaps even glib...

1. unplug your Ethernet cable,
    2. sit in that chair,
    3. type.
    I think we get too caught up in wanting to know what we'll be writing before it's written. I also think that attitude comes from wanting to have something to sell.

If the goal is to write, just sit down and do it.

Of course, most writers don't actually want to write; they want to have written. :)

Sam Frost, MikeyC and Tea@3 like this.
  18. WriterMMS

WriterMMS Member

1. Find a good idea for a plot and/or interesting characters. If you don't have either of these you're in for a bad time in writing. Don't be afraid to look at other authors stories to find inspiration.
    2.Sitt your butt down for at least one hour a day, with no distractions. I prefer to put pandora on but sometimes no music is good too. Stare at the paper and screen and if nothing happens in that hour its still progress, trust me though, you will write something.
    3. If you think something is crap don't be so quick to delete it. Leave it.
    What I like to do is repetition
    Write the same sentence over and over if its not working but modify it
    ex.
    Jane tossed her bag out of the car
    Jane tossed the heavy bag out of the car
    Jane struggled to toss the bag full of jewels out of the car
    Jane struggled heaved the bag full of jewels out of the jeep
    Jane reluctantly heaved the bag full of jewels over her shoulders and out of the jeep and into the ravine, if she couldn't have them no one would.
    Jane reluctantly heaved the bag of jewels over her shoulders and watched as they fell out of the jeep, hurtling down a ravine. If she couldn't have them no one would.

See? I had absolutely no idea what I was going to write and still ended up making an interesting sentence.

Sam Frost and Tea@3 like this.
  19. Tea@3

Dude, you are oozing wisdom in your posts. Once again, brilliant in its simplicity. (Tom Clancy fan?)

Sack-a-Doo! and datahound2u like this.
  20. MikeyC

MikeyC Member

I agree with Sack-A-Doo.

Been writing a year, just finished first edit of my second book.

Everytime i struggled with the current or next scene, or where i want the story to go, or how to develop. I started writing something else, and i mean anything else. Each time I started thinking on this brand new project - some just started with the name of a character - I always soon ended up with a solution to the original problem. The age old, take your mind off it.

As a result of this. I have now outlined at least 7 new books. Two of which i have already written chapters for. So now I have finished first edit, and have sent it off to family for pre ideas. I can already start concentrating on my new project, my only issue being...which one :)

So my advice, if anyones struggle, start writing something, anything.

Rgds

Mikey

Sam Frost, datahound2u and Tea@3 like this.
  21. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

I am... sort of. I used to read everything he wrote, but then I got tired of reading about Americans saving the world. :)

22. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributing Member Contributor

If you're open to a self-help book, I found the Motivation Manifesto to be extraordinarily helpful. After a few pages I was balls deep into stuff I had been lacking the motivation to do. A friend borrowed it and she became immediately industrious after reading a few pages as well. Sometimes I'll flip to a random page and feel motivated shortly after. Pretty amazing stuff.

Tea@3 likes this.
  23. Tea@3

Hey can you give the author's name? There are multiple books with this title by different authors and I want to know which one you are talking about.

24. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributing Member Contributor

Brendon Burchard

Tea@3 likes this.
  25. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

I find coming to this forum, browsing it, gets me in the mood to write

Sam Frost likes this.