1. jamesdemann

jamesdemann New Member

Lost the umph...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jamesdemann, Aug 19, 2008.

Hi all, I think I used to be on these forums before, most possibly under a different name, but when I switched computers I lost all bookmarks so can't be sure...
    Anyway, 2 years ago I suffered the third prolapsed disc of my life, and I am only 34 (35 in two days) anyway....this has had a profound psychological effect on me and it seems to have taken away my will to write, when before it was one of my most keen passions.
    The problem is I want to get back to writing, but can't seem to make myself do it and this saddens me, I load up a piece i was working on and even though it's a fantasic story, I just don't simply have the will to take it forwards any longer....

:(

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Jamesdemann,

I am sorry to hear of your continued health problems.

Instead of working on a previous piece, consider starting a new story. A fresh start with new ideas and direction.

Hang in there.

Terry

3. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Sorry that things are tough for you.

But advice I was given not so long ago now was 'If you find you can't continue something, try and remember why you were so passionate about the piece. Why you wrote it. If you can't, find something in the piece that you can find that passion about and go from there.'

Maybe even try writing a poem about how you are feeling and then get back into writing stories. Sometimes writing poetry, no matter how good or bad it turns out, can be a great excercise to get back into the creative writing frame of mind.

Hope all works out for you.

Torana

4. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 Contributing Member

I like Terry's idea of starting a new story. Starting a new story will renew your interest and help you regain your "umph". Good luck!

5. Tobi

Tobi Member

I had a similar thing happen to me not long ago, I ruined both my knees due to sporting injuries and can no longer play sport which sucks massively, seeing as I'm nineteen that was a fairly large amount of my life. When I tried to work on all my old stories I just couldn't do it, I had no passion for them anymore.

I suggest writing something new using the physical and psychological experiences you've gained from your injuries, that's what I've done and I now have no issues with getting myself to write. Well, hope i helped.

6. Palimpsest

Palimpsest Senior Member

Happened to me, too-- after my dad lost his job, it brought out the absolute worst in my family but being the youngest there was nobody I had any right to bully and pass over the bad feeling. I got depressed in almost every way, and not being able to write creatively was one of them.

Unless you write as a profession, though, I wouldn't force it. I stuck with rambling diary entries and objective articles and reports, and reading more about how to write than actually writing (since I was still interested, just tired.) I even took up a couple other hobbies instead, to replace writing for a while. I still had ideas, but didn't develop them. One time inspiration just dropped in, giving enough energy to actually get a vignette written out, and then the dry spell returned for another several months. Now I'm almost back to normal writing habits as I remember them.

Just listen for what you need, I'd say, and the passion will return at its own pace.

7. stoned4assassin20

stoned4assassin20 Member

Showing up is half the battle. I don't know if that's actually a saying, but it sure as hell sounds like one. Just write. It doesn't matter what you write. Try to set up a time during the day where you're not allowed to do anything else and just write about anything. Hopefully, things will begin to flow and your passion for writing will be reignited. I'll admit, there are a lot of days where I hate writing, yet I feel a driving urge to. On those days, I just sit down at my computer and start typing. Never try to "force" ideas, though. It just won't work.