1. MissRis

MissRis New Member

Do you share?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MissRis, May 16, 2012.

More of an interest based question: do you share your writing with anyone (beyond forums)? If so, who and why?

I've always been a bit shy about my own writing, so I'm just curious. Obviously I'll have to get a little less timid when it's time to look for an agent, but I don't like people seeing stuff until it's finished.

2. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

I have my close knit friends and family that sees maybe 1% of what I actual write. I share my ideas with them and talk about my stories with them but they aren't writers so they often times have very little to contribute to the conversation. The reason I don't share most of what I write with them is because I value their opinion which isn't going to be a helpful one. They're most likely going to tell me what they think I want to hear vs. what I actually need to hear, which is an honest critique. It's definitely easier to share with random strangers then it is to share with the people closest to you because they only know the words you present them with and if they suck or rock they'll hold nothing back...and being from a stranger it's taken a whole lot less personal.

3. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Nah. Only people online.

Maybe I should reach out...

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I'm a member of a writer's group and each week (if anyone wants to) they can read out stuff and get feed back from the other members.

This has boosted my confidence in taking centre stage and talking to a group of people about my work.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Yes. I find that I often get great feedback from good, close friends who know what they are talking about. Especially considering I'm a harsh critic of other people's work so I expect it back. A lot of my friends have amazingly good eyes when it comes to fiction, and really know their stuff. In fact, in my University it's often said that the worst kind of criticism you can give is lukewarm.

To me the best kind of criticism is honest and harsh, but fair, and detailed, and the better the piece the more detailed and harsh the criticism should be.

6. bmacd

bmacd Member

Not me. I'm pretty shy and I feel soo vulnerable when I have to show people my work; even in class, I pretty much have an anxiety attack every time. In the end, it always ends up rewarding but I get so nervous beforehand!

7. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I have one person I share with thus far. That is all.

8. Erato

Erato New Member

Generally I'm very secretive and only show people things I wrote a really long time ago, which tend to be so terrible they're hilarious... I promised people I'd show them some stuff, but not for a while, and that then they would have to read it when I wasn't around and never discuss it... I guess I sound silly, but I don't completely want to hear what they would say. "Read Erato's writings" usually becomes a game of skill: "Tell Erato she's a hopeless case without offending her." I'd rather they just said "You're a hopeless case" and not "It could use some improvement."

... kvetching aside, no, I don't share.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't post any of my work on any forum, unless i just want preople to read it... and i only send my youngest sister a new poem now and then, to get her feedback on it, before i post it on my site or anywhere else...

10. Gnarly

Gnarly New Member

I've just recently had a "fuck it" mentality and have started to share my work with everyone on my social networks, and I cannot tell you how much confidence it has created. I've gotten so much feedback, and much of it has been helpful for my improvement. It took me years to ever show anyone, and now within two weeks, not only did I get people talking about it, but also had suggestions and tips from people I never even expected to have read my work, telling me places to share, and grow as a writer. (Including this website, which btw, in only two short days, I have already found to be more than helpful in every aspect of writing). Once you decide to get serious as a writer, and start sharing your work, it seems things just start to happen faster, and your inspirational thoughts come flowing. Keep sharing, nothing but good can come from it, even the criticism helps!

11. bo_7md

bo_7md New Member

I don't currently share my work, not because I don't want to, but because my friends don't share my passion for reading. I think it's great to get some form of feedback early on or even after the novel is finished as long as that person/s are honest and able to critique your work.

12. BonanzaGirl1

BonanzaGirl1 New Member

There's only about 3 people I share my writings and ideas and get their thoughts. Getting burnt twice I'm a bit scared now about posting anything on a forum, but
    I hope with time, I may one day.

13. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

What does
    mean?

These forums are archived I'm sure and if someone stole something of yours that you posted on this site I'm sure it would hold up legally in court. There are terms and agrees, privacy policies, etc. that protect the user and the website, so if someone made money of your work and you have evidence of it, you have enough evidence backing your argument, especially if you have the original file on your PC.

14. BonanzaGirl1

BonanzaGirl1 New Member

Well, since I am a new member, I don't have anything posted here yet. Burnt meaning, that when I started out writing and found out about having a beta and
    went on my search to find one. I finally found someone who took me under their wing and not knowing any better and believed everything what she told me,
    she virtually overtook my idea and wrote it all practically herself. Told me where I should post it and giving her credit!! Also, someone who I thought was a friend also
    did this taking all the credit when people read it never giving any credit to me for the idea. This is what I meant about getting burnt. Sorry I should have made myself a bit
    more clearer.

15. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

That's horrible. I took a personal law class and learned about writing contracts when dealing with anything that's not copyrighted yet but belongs to me. I just recently hired an editor and emailed him my novel. In the body of the email, which can be show as evidence should the editor decide to claim the story as their own, I wrote:

"Attached is my complete novel in a Microsoft Word Document. I will go ahead and submit to you the (agreed amount) for the complete editing of my novel, (novel title), which is nearly 60,000 words. (novel title) is my property, (my name), in which I've agreed to hire you, (editors name), as my professional editor. With that said, please keep this project confidential, enjoy the novel and as previously discussed, any help or advice you can provide that can improve this story will be greatly appreciated."

You never think your friends will screw you over but in the long run, when it comes to business or something you've worked hard towards, a contract is always the smartest thing to do. Sorry you got burnt. :(

16. BonanzaGirl1

BonanzaGirl1 New Member

Thanks indy5live. I now have a wonderful beta whom I trust. She helps out whenever its needed and whatever I ask. So all is good now :) I've learnt the
    hard way.

17. Skodt

Skodt New Member

I seem to have lucked out in this aspect. My younger brother is a writer as well. I have been reading his work for awhile now. Then in turn he reads mine. So it's a scratch my back ill scratch yours kind of deal.

18. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

I don't share too much, not many of my friends know I love to write. Though, they do know I think WAY too much. Compared to them I'm really logical, which makes me laugh.

The only people that have read my writings is my mom, dad, and sister. My mom is prone to read my stuff over my shoulder, which I don't mind. I've also intentionally had her read some of my stories. She gives good criticism, and tells me when she doesn't understand parts, or if there's not enough description, ect. I do get slightly embarrassed sharing my writing though, especially when I try new things.

As of right now I haven't met anyone in real life that is a fiction writer like me. Or, maybe I have but they keep it a secret. I would love to chat with someone in real life about writing. :)

19. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

Nobody reads what I write until it's posted online. I honestly don't trust the opinions of people I know. As well, I am shy about sharing these things with them.

One time I gave my mother a piece to read in which the two characters who have had a very close friendship wind up falling for each other at the height of the climax of it all. Both characters were female. My mother didn't really tell me what she thought of the story.

Oh lawls~

20. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

I've shown some of my work to one or two people I really trust. So far very positive feedback.

I never sent my entire novel so far to anyone, nor do I ever intend to do that unless it's to a publisher or editor.

Good tip on the contract in the e-mail, by the way.

21. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Not at the moment anymore. I'll allow my sister to read it if she asks, but for anyone else, I figure I might as well have The End done before letting others see it. Feels like I get jinxed if I let it go before hand.

22. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I've just finished a BA (Hons) Creative Writing degree so I sort of had to share with my classmates and tutors. It's scary but everyone's in the same boat, and people are mostly nice about giving feedback (they'll be honest and critical but also encouraging). It's improved my writing significantly and the quality is a lot better. Now I've finished, I don't expect I'll share my writing again unless I join a writers group (which I am planning to do) and/or I submit to competitions/agents etc.