Luke Skywalker has 'turned' ...!!! Spoiler rumour....

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by jannert, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ah HA! Just saw an article you'll love, then. Apparently they ARE building sets for this one and are scrapping reliance on CGI. The article mentioned that the excesses of CGI in the 'prequels' turned a lot of people off. So it sounds as if they're returning to base on that one as well. I know it's probably as big a mistake as thinking Scotland might actually vote for independence this time, but I'm HOPEFUL about this new movie. I think it might actually be good.

peachalulu likes this.
  2. eg8hardcore

eg8hardcore Member

It'll never be as good as the originals, but I'll still go to theaters for them. Can't wait.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Disney...not using CGI???????????

peachalulu and jannert like this.
  4. jannert

It didn't say they're not using any CGI. It did say they are making models and building sets, like they did for the first series, and didn't do for the prequels. I'll see if I can find that article again and post the link.

peachalulu and 123456789 like this.
  5. 123456789

I'll tell you what.

Give me a good quality Star Wars trilogy, a great miniseries of Twin peaks, then ship off Maroon 5, Keisha, Rihanna, Drake, Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj, and Marvel and D.C comics, to the moon, and I'll have to start rethinking my opinion on modern day culture.

peachalulu likes this.
  6. jannert

Ah, here's the link I read regarding the CGI: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...ffects-says-rian-johnson.html#~oSpryjrvjJRm7X

7. 123456789

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Thanks for the link Jannert! I'm glad they're going with a mix of sets and CGI. But arrgh all this news is so early - Star Wars won't be out till Dec 2015 and Twin Peaks is slated for 2016! Not exactly something I can mark on the calender - lol.

jannert likes this.
  9. jannert

I know. I hate getting caught up in all this hype. I remember being disappointed by The Return of the Jedi ...largely because we had 3 years between that and The Empire Strikes Back. And of course the Empire ended with "I AM your father..." So us fans spent three years thinking 'what if this, what if that.' Ultimately I think some of our ideas were better than the one that actually got made. So ...I'll try to stop thinking about this one.

What will probably never be duplicated in this series is my joy and utter surprise the first movie gave me. What a cracker! I didn't know what to expect, but my favourite movie up to that time was American Graffiti, which was a Lucas movie, so I was hoping it would measure up. It surpassed all my expectations. In fact, it's the only movie I have ever paid to see at the cinema 7 times! And loved it each time. I was fond of The Empire Strikes Back as well, but not quite as much. I think I only saw that one 3 times at the cinema. And I only watched The Return of the Jedi once at the cinema.

The last two were too Spielberg-y for my taste. Spielberg is a great movie maker, but he panders to popular taste a bit more than I'd like, and plucks all the heartstrings, presses all the expected buttons, etc. Lucas was a lot more unpredictible and a lot rougher. I still think American Graffiti and the original Star Wars are two of the best movies ever made.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Yeah, if Luke went through a three-film arc resisting the Dark Side while trying to actively bring his father back from it and then ended up succumbing to it anyway, it would completely nullify every emotional arc those characters went through. That feels cheap to me, not to mention unrealistic.

I don't remember where I heard this, but
    I thought the third trilogy was about the Legacy of the Force expanded universe novels? At the very least I thought it was going to be about Jacen and Jaina Solo. And if that's true, that trilogy will follow them until the third movie, when Jacen becomes Darth Caedus and Jaina is forced to kill him. Repeating that pattern of good-guy-turns-bad-in-three-films isn't just repetitive, it makes no sense for Luke. Jacen and Anakin, sure, but not Luke.

11. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Ouch wait

That....line.....made me have a minor heart attack

You like Star Wars but don't like Marvel and DC comics? That's strange I figured most people who liked Star Wars would like Marvel and DC.....hehehehhe

Though for the record I much prefer modern comics (80s till now) over the ones from the 70s and before.

They've very much evolved as a media due the more modern we've gotten and comics kinda have a bit of an immortality to them in a way, I like that they've matured. Now they can still stories that adults can get emotionally invested while also having ones for children (and heck even if superheroes aren't your thing ya got stuff like Hellblazer, Walking Dead, Fables etc). I mean its not like comics started in modern culture they've just had a bigger boom in recent years and Star Wars is finally back to the big screen after being dormant for awhile

As for Star Wars

This new one can't be any worse then the prequels and ya know what? It could always turn out better then the trilogy most of all if their using elements from the EU plus original content and a mixture of classic methods and well done CGI.

I don't much like modern music though.....

But eh

The older folks get I think they become a little more hostile to some of the newer things. I mean maybe I'm an optimist or just don't have that......harsh eye of critique or that old eye of hostility.

But ya know as I scroll through here

"It will never as good as the originals."

"Old Disney is so much better then New Disney."

Or CGI hate or this music hate that.

And heck you even mentioned Twin Peaks .....which is a show that is a show that's 20 years old and its getting a new mini series. To be honest.....I can't really ever tell the difference between any generations cultures at least when it comes to taste.

I mean there is a difference but every generation has a Star Wards kinda and every generation has a music which an older person hates or thinks the movies are garbage.

I ain't immune to it either or...well a couple years back I was sitting watching some of the new cartoons and was like "This is awful why aren't these like the old cartoons?" Then I looked over at my cousin (who was about eight at the time)and he was enjoying those cartoons as I enjoyed them. I don't think old Disney is that much better then new Disney.....as I don't really think like old and new Disney, its just Disney XD

Do I like their current films as much? No not really and it sucks they only do computer animation but they aren't terrible or nothing with a company as big as Disney and how long they've been around I'm sure they know what their doing.

There are gonna be kids and teens who in the next twenty years are gonna be like "God why can't they just make movies like Frozen or Tangled anymore?" or eventually Disney is gonna have another big animation renaissance.

Or maybe a lot of you are right and modern culture stuff isn't that good compared to the old stuff.

But I love Start Wars Original trilogy, I got some love for the EU of Star Wars, love comics (even though I wish they wouldn't have so many superhero movies sometimes) and well Disney hasn't exactly impressed me lately with their original content but its Disney I'm sure they will eventually and I think Pixar has great films most of the time.

Also

come on I seriously doubt Luke is gonna go to the Dark Side and if they did that would be one God awful choice but I've got serious doubts they'll do something like that. Now I ain't saying modern culture is perfect or nothing XD and the new SW movies have a great chance of being terrible and I hate overused CGI and all that but there is a lot of stuff I like to.

But as comic reader and a comic writer on sometimes (I normally do novel and short story writing) I loving the fact that a thing I love well liked and taken seriously more then it would of been in the past.

Anyway I'm rambling and I dont have much of a point....but i f I do.

I suppose its........at least from my personal point of view it seems that no generations culture be it movies, books, music and all that it doesn't seem all that difference I guess or well the material is difference as tech advances, language changes, certain genres become popular and certain music styles become more popular then others

But public reaction seems to remains the same in a way more or less (Younger people like it a lot, older people complain is not as good as what they watched or read and then the people in the middle etc)

Ya know

Same song different chorus......:D

I think modern and old could really learn from each other and heck obviously a lot of modern stuff is built on what came before but I meant just in terms of being a little more accepting of things. I think there is a lot of great things to both old and new.

Oh sorry I wrote so much.....like the video game thing

But since we were talking about comics, star wars, twin peaks and disney and everything. I figured I'd throw my hat in.

Oh and 123 my buddy, this wasn't directed at just you or anyone, I just wanted to quote ya....and have a comedic heart attack, hope that's okay!!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  12. Vifibi

Vifibi New Member

I don't much care for Star Wars, original trilogy nor prequels (though I liked the original trilogy much better, yeah). What I dread the most out of these movies is what my Facebook feed is gonna be like for the next month or so after the first new movie comes out. It's a bit like my relationship with the Portal series of games. Love them to death, hate the fans almost as much. So, that's gonna be a tough little cookie to swallow...

... But I'm still gonna watch the movies. I mean, jeez, I watched Attack of the Clones in theaters. I can't afford to lose the new ones.

13. 123456789

That's one theory. Another possibility is that culture goes through ups and downs. Is modern music, on the whole, "worse" than older music? Well, live performances aren't as popular nowadays, new artists often rely on lip sync and auto tune. We don't have real bands producing real sounds, just synth. Lyrics have arguably gotten dumber. You don't have big rock stars anymore like you used to. We used to have serious, "epic" movies, like Braveheart, Gladiator, Shawshank Redemption, etc, etc, and now we're focused on superhero CGI flicks and prequels and sequels.Better or worse is subjective, but what I've listed above are objective observations I and others have made.
    How to explain the ups and downs? Maybe it's technology. Maybe there are times when innovation is high, and times when copying is high. Maybe there is a time when quality can succeed, and a time when it's all about generating revenue. Maybe when a medium (tv, theatres, radio, etc) is first new and only accessible to the wealthy (eg, probably more educated), more intelligent works (movies, songs, shows, etc) of entertainment are appreciated, and as that medium (due to technology) gets cheaper and more accessible, the entertainment has to be dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Or maybe, Orwell/ Huxley was right, and there's a grand conspiracy to make the masses stupid and happy, and so entertainment is deliberately being dumbed down. Or maybe it is just a case of "old hates new," like you said. I don't really know. I was born in late 80s and I personally think the best modern music (eg non classical) was in the 70s/80s, so you tell me if I'm biased.

14. Kingtype

Well like ya said

I can't tell if your biased

Its all opinions and what not. I love Braveheart and Shawshank though but I also love Captain America soooo I try to keep it balanced XD Be it ups or downs as you say, I love the fact that things change like that ya know? I like that things change and I like that its awesome to me.

The 90s and 80s had wonderful movies but....I wouldn't want just epic forever.

I'm glad superheroes are getting recognition and after superhero craze passes I'll be happy to see whatever comes next but now comics.....get a lot more in the public and I think comics are a wonderful media and not dumbed down.

I think there is a lot of intelligence not just in superheroes but a lot of comics and of course....a lot of stupid stuff to.

But yeah

its sad there haven't been any Bravehearts or even Forest Gump's in the last years but.....those kinda movies will come back someday, and in their one way Star Wars and Avengers are epics in themsevles.

Look I'm not gonna say one generation I love over the other. I have love for things in new and old like I've said.

I love me some Queen and ACD/DC and Kansas

But their time has passed.....not to say it will be passed forever but atm and a lot of people still love them A LOT (like I'm sure plenty on this thread do) but still THANK GOD for change and different generations.

Whether some view it as dumbing down or some view it as the same or some better. I LOVE that there is a big change after every certain number of years. Be that change good or bad at least its something new and change is all part of progresss I like to think.

And ya know I don't think its all part of some grand scheme or anything XD a lot of the people who write books, direct movies and all that now were all inspired by the same things you, I and everyone else likes in varying degrees.

And heck

Guardians of The Galaxy is a fun little film and really funny and I'll be the first admit that its not super thought provoking but you know what it does have? It has the best soundtrack of any superhero movie.

It has all this great classic rock and a lot of movies are bringing back the classics for movies lately.

And ya know that's keeping the old alive in a way. Maybe some day some kid, teen or young adult will get a flare for rock and roll from watching it and then start to play the guitar and then BOOM rock and roll is back on the scene.

Look its certainly and perfectly reasonable to prefer one generation over another in terms of content.But I've found valued in every generation and even if a lot of people don't, I still think its great that these changes bring such a wide selection of differences.

And maybe someday

its a long shot

We will get it all at once! I think that would be pretty awesome epics, supehero movies, return of claymation and puppets, computer animation, cgi, classic animation and just everything

Same things with books and music. Old content and new content and original content and GET IT ALL IN THERE. Someday I'd like it all to get the limelight together.

That's what I'd like the media industries to strive towards.

Where we get all the music, books, games, comics and movie types in the light at once. I know that's kinda impossible but if it did happened I really think then the generation who grew up in an era like that would go on to create some of the most interesting and creative things of all time maybe.

With all those different sources of inspiration from different medias and genres and styles.

That's what I'd hope someday we can reach.

123456789 likes this.
  15. 123456789

This is very true. Great posts all in all.

Kingtype likes this.
  16. Kingtype

Thanks! :D