1. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Lyrical's Whimsical Missives

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Lyrical, Jul 14, 2015.

So here's the story: I have been a lurker on this site for a while now, collecting advice and ideas in anonymity and silence. But I am lurking no more! I have decided that I want to engage in the conversation, and more than anything, have this accountability journal to dump my triumphs and frustrations about writing. So here it is, my inaugural post on WF. Weeeee!

My current WIP began as my 2014 NaNoWriMo project. It was an idea that kicked around in my head for a good year or more and was ready to see the light of day. The project began enthusiastically and the month flew by. Some days felt grueling of course, but on others I wrote far more than the limit because I had so many thoughts and ideas. The 50k limit was hit, the month ended, and my story was about 1/3 of the way done. So on I went! And then somewhere around January, I suffered from a sudden loss of interest, a solid writer's block and the story sputtered to a stop.

By March I realized I needed to finish this project, and tried to start up again. I picked at it here and there, pushing the story along inch by inch. I had a new idea and a new story pestering me, but I told myself I would only jot down enough to remind me of the key points and I would give it attention once this WIP was finished. Maybe I will make it my 2015 NaNoWriMo project, we'll see.

But anyway. This summer, momentum has picked up a bit and last week I finally wrote the big climax. The end is so near I'm getting antsy. Cuz' the thing is, I've just been pantsing it this whole time. I have killed projects in the past by obsessing over the beginning bits so long I lose interest in the story. This time I told myself NO going back, NO editing, NO rewriting until I finish the first draft. It's helped - I've gotten farther in this story than I have in a long time. But now that the end is nigh, I am SO SO SO ready to go back and rewrite, flesh out certain characters, develop certain themes, enrich hastily-written scenes.

So I'll keep track of this mad race to the next draft here. And then I'll keep track of the rewrite here. And I'll finally jump in to this awesome exchange of creative minds on WF, instead of just being a creepy anon.

2. Lyrical

Okay, this morning it has been a bit of a struggle, but I think I've finally gotten into the rhythm of things. I had to tackle an "aftermath" scene today, which is kind of interesting because I've always kind of wondered how you go back to your normal life after huge, life-altering events happen. When you watch a friend die and all that shakes down, what do you do next? How do you proceed? It was a challenge, but I think it came out alright. We'll see what it reads like when I come back to it later.

Unfortunately I have to take a break to do some paid work and get my baby down for a nap. Hopefully I can get right back into it when I come back to it later!

As of right now, my word count is 109,980. And I think I only have about 3 chapters until the end! Stay focused, stay focused!

3. Lyrical

Baby and husband are asleep, and I am alive with muse. I decided to stay up to see in Prime Day and check out how it was all gonna work. While I waited for the appointed time, I wrote. Now, I'm exhausted but satisfied with today's effort.
    Day's end word count: 112,389.

4. Lyrical

Word count: 113,527

A busy weekend and a stuttering muse saw me limping through my next scene. Still, it's done. I'm planning a Library Day this week to hammer out the next couple chapters. I have to wrap this story up before it goes too long after the climax. Is there a rule about that, I wonder? Like how steep is the slope down from the peak? I wont drag it out, but I also don't want to resolve things in a quick series of convenient events and poorly-paved plot holes. I want it to feel organic and natural that things resolve this way. Hmm. Oh well, it's a first draft. I can fiddle if it feels wrong.

5. Lyrical

UGHHHHHH. Over the last 3 days I've only written 1,000 words. That is because I've had deadlines to meet at my job, and also because I've been too distracted by the last few chapters of A Feast for Crows (ASoIaF #4) and even when I sat down to write, I could only think of what would come next in that book and not my own. But I just finished. Like, right now. I already have #5 purchased and waiting...I just need to force myself to write a little more before I allow myself to start it.

It doesn't exactly help that I'm kind of uncertain where to proceed next in my story. I know ultimately what happens, in like, Step 3, but I don't know what Step 1 or 2 are in this sequence of events. Perhaps it needed more thought in my early planning stages, but for some reason I just skipped over this part. Now it's here and I'm feeling my way awkwardly through a dark room. If I can just push through this, though, the end is in sight!

6. Lyrical

I am so, so stuck. Ugh. I feel my enthusiasm for this project slipping the longer I sit here, mired in wordlessness. Must...go...on...