1. Writing Skills

Writing Skills Banned

MADD Hypocrite

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Writing Skills, Jun 11, 2015.

In 1980, a drunk driver killed the 13-year-old daughter of Candy Lightner. From this experience, Lightner created Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) to publicize the suffering caused by drug and alcohol abuse.

In 1985 Lightner, left the organization over disagreements that included her desire to have MADD receive financial contributions from the liquor industry. She moved to Washington, DC, where she was hired by the American Beverage Institute, a liquor industry trade group, to help defeat MADD-supported laws that would toughen blood alcohol tests.

DeathandGrim likes this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Link?

All I can see are 1994 articles questioning her job in the beverage industry.
    I fail to see the outrage. She is correct, the majority of drunk drivers involved in fatal car crashes have had numerous DUIs. Not that we need to raise the allowed blood alcohol for driving, but the biggest problem is repeat offenders are not effectively taken off the road.

Without more investigation into the actual data, I can't say if this position is correct or not, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand:
    This should be in the debate forum side of the lounge. A mod will likely move it for us. Welcome to the forum, by the way. Are you a writer?

3. Writing Skills

Writing Skills Banned

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Yes, I am a writer. I cover a lot of subjects. Here's my website. Are you a writer?

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Yes, of course I'm a writer. So you only answered one of my questions, how about a link so we can see what your issue here is about?

5. Writing Skills

Writing Skills Banned

I don't have a link. Just the book. It's called Toxic Sludge is Good for You! Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry.