1. thatdifficultfirstnovel

thatdifficultfirstnovel New Member

Magazines for inspiration?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by thatdifficultfirstnovel, Sep 1, 2015.

Wasn't sure where to put this, and as I didn't want it just to be about Sci-Fi, I though general writing might make most sense.

I did have a subscription to New Scientist, with the idea being that some of the stories within the magazines would allow me to generate ideas for (primarily sci-fi) novels. However, I'm beginning to think a bit wider now.

The question is - what magazines do people read in order to try and generate usable ideas? Are there any other particularly good magazines I should keep an eye out for?

This can be extended to Twitter, Youtube channels - anything really outside of TV/Film that might generate ideas for you.

2. Bookster

Bookster Banned

For a time, I assigned myself the task of writing one story each month based an something I read in that month's Scientific American. There was always something usable.

3. thatdifficultfirstnovel

thatdifficultfirstnovel New Member

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking of doing - making myself write to a specific topic each week/month so as to practice.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

If it doesn't have to be inspiration solely for sci-fi, I quite like Fortean Times - good for horror writers.

http://subscribe.forteantimes.com/