Tags:
  1. Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Member

Magazines to submit poetry to

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Alstroemeria, Dec 14, 2015.

Which would be the best magazine to submit a single poem to? I'd quite like to be published in a literary or general interest magazine. but I only have one poem I'm proud of. I'm 18 and in Britain.

2. Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Member

I'm considering this - I first thought of the Poetry Review, then rationalised that that would be aiming a bit high. The Adroit Journal accepts non-fiction prose submissions along with the poetry, and I have some non-fiction prose which I take great pride in, so I may try them once I have a cover letter sorted out. I can't enter the competition as I'm not in education, but I can submit to the magazine just to be published. :)

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

To search for poetry markets, try Duotrope (not free, but they offer a trial period) or Poets&Writers (free).

4. Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Member

Thank you! Poets & Writers looks perfect. I submitted two poems to Adroit, and hope I'll hear back soon. I'm on tenterhooks already.

5. thirdwind

Good luck! In the meantime, keep working on other stuff and submitting. It can take months to hear back, so it's always good to keep busy with other projects.

6. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

The best market depends entirely on the poem. It's a good idea to read a couple of magazines and try to get a sense of whether or not they publish work that's similar to yours. By doing so you'll massively increase your chances of being accepted.

Alstroemeria likes this.
  7. Alstroemeria

Alstroemeria Member

I had all of the pieces I submitted to the magazine I chose rejected, but I'll try another. :)

8. thirdwind

Wow, that was a fast response. Consider yourself lucky. Yes, definitely keep submitting to other markets. And Krishan is absolutely right; make sure your poems are a good fit with what they typically publish.