Tags:
  1. Holo

Holo New Member

Convenient orphans?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Holo, Sep 6, 2011.

How do you feel about them? My main character is a werewolf but I am having trouble developing their background and relationship with their family (all of whom are human). Her family does not play a big role at all, but they do come up in conversation during the book. But I'm not sure if I should make her an orphan, which would explain why her family is absent, or not. I'm trying to think of a realistic way for her family to be alive, but not be present in her life. When is it okay to make the protagonist an orphan and when should you not take the easy way out and give your character a family?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your story. Your choices. Either choice is workable, but each will generate a different story.

Which one do you wish to tell?

3. Holo

Holo New Member

Well originally, my main character was loved but feared by her parents who locked her in a cage on full moon nights for her "safety". Eventually, she runs away and is found by the local alpha werewolf who takes her in. He speaks with her parents and convinces them to let her join a pack because it would be better for her and they agree but visit her from time to time. But I don't think it's realistic for a parent to relinquish their child to the care of a pack of werewolves even if said child is a werewolf herself. Since her family does not play a large role in the story at all and is relevant to the character alone and not the plot, I'm wondering if I should find a different way to get them out of the picture.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Same answer. Be a writer. Make a choice and expand on it.

You're asking what you should do. That is the answer. You should write the story that works for YOU.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Your MC's parents only serve the MC, not the plot, right? I can think of some ways to put them out of the picture:

#1- Have the MC run away and the pack not bother telling the parents. If the parents put her in a cage whenever she goes werewolf, the pack would naturally assume they do not love her 100%. Parents still alive and you have a sub-plot where they're trying to find her.

#2- Somewhat like #1, except the parents die. Simple. The pack dispatches an agent to go 'take care of the parents'. As in, murder them dead in whatever fashion you desire. The MC won't know about this, obviously. It could lead to interesting drama in the future when the MC wants to reconnect with mommy and daddy.

#3- Just have the parents abandon her once they realize she's a werewolf in her first transformation, the MC spent a few years alone until found by the pack.

As for it being okay to have orphans as the MC? Sure! As long as it has an impact on the MC in some way.

6. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

It's simple. Her family are frightened of her(let's face it, if you gave birth to a werewolf, you would shit your pants) and find the perfect solution:a pack of nearby werewolves to relinquish control to.

7. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Is it wrong that this thread title made me automatically think of Lolita?
    ...Ok...I'll just go have a seat...

Anyway, if you ask me, it sounds like she could have an interesting relationship with her parents, and it'd be a shame if they just got killed off for no reason. I mean, it sounds like they fear her, but she's their daughter - even if she's some kind of monster, at least one of the parents would probably love her anyway. It can be a pretty complicated relationship. I like Pythonforger's idea of them sort of "giving" her to the pack of werewolves, so she can be among her own kind. But, like Cogito said, it's your story, so you can do what you want.

Also, was this character born a werewolf, or was she turned into one? This could also have an effect on her relationship with her parents, or explain why she was orphaned, if you decide to go that route.

8. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    #4 - She ate her parents. How out-of-control are werewolves in your mythos?

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

This one is my favorite...

10. AMasonCarpenter

AMasonCarpenter New Member

I don't really know how to advise you on your story, but "Convenient Orphans" is a great title, can I have it?

AMC

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

True! It could be a comedy exploring the "orphan protagonists" trope.

12. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

So from what I understand, the parents are alive... but the "protaganist" isn't with them for whatever reason.

My idea was kind of like what someone else said. Just have the parents "give" the kid to the alpha-werewolf. Because they don't know how other people in the town would react to a "freak" kid, so they think it's best if someone else raise her, etc.

Or the other way around, she runs away and finds the other werewolves. And eventually sends a note back to the parents saying "I ran away, but I'm fine" type of things. The parents might not like that she ran away, but at the same time part of them feels relieved because they don't have to deal with raising a strange kid in an intolerant society.