1. littleparisdress

littleparisdress New Member

Pseudonym help

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by littleparisdress, Jan 16, 2009.

Hi

When you send a query letter to a publisher can you do it under a pseudonym, because i've heard there are legal issues about taking out a contract in a pseudonym.
    Should i sign from (my real name) Publishing name (my pseudonym)?

Thanks!

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Of course there are legal issues. Besides, I guy once told me he sent a story to a magazine under a woman's name because they only published stuff by women. It was a paying publication, and he couldn't cash the cheque because it wasn't addressed to him. You put the penname on the manuscript. They'll know what you mean. But anything official needs your real name.

3. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I have a question too concerning that. Is it better to tell a publisher that I have a penname until after they decide to publish my work, or should I include it with my manuscript?

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Yes, you just put it on the mauscript.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

your real name must go on all correspondence, including the query... your pen name goes only on the ms itself, as the by line... everything else will need your real name, if you want to get paid...

6. littleparisdress

Hi again

Thanks.

So you just say from (real name) on the query letter and on manuscript you put by (pseudonym)? On the manuscript should you say underneath your pseudonym (pen name)?

Thanks again!

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

The only place you put your pseudonym down is on the manuscript. Your publisher has most likely worked in the publishing business for a while, and he / she will know what you mean when you sign your contract with one name and your manuscript with the other.

I would go for honesty and let your publisher know before he's agreed to publish your work... I dont think there's anything unlawful about not telling your company immediately, but it sure does seem deceitful and even a little uncredible in my eyes.

Query letter: Real name.
    Contract: Real name.
    Etc.: Real name.
    MANUSCRIPT: Pen name.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no, you don't put 'pen name' under the by line!... just put the name that you want to appear on the cover of the book...

in some cases, the agent will handle all correspondence/payment for the author and the publisher won't even know it's a pen name...

if you don't have an agent and are dealing directly with the publisher [not advised!], you'd let them know in your query that you're using a pen name and sign all letters with your real one only...

9. littleparisdress

Thanks will do!