1. zilly

zilly New Member

Magic in the Future?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by zilly, Mar 6, 2011.

It seems stories involving magic always resort to a medieval setting. And, even stories like Harry Potter, which take place in modern times, have a wizarding world that is separate that dresses medieval and uses no technology.

Do you think a magic/fantasy story loses appeal if you place it in the future?

I'm starting to develop a plot for my next project and it's definitely going to be fantasy and involve magic. But, I'm so sick of the same old magic. I want to set it in a world more like the Matrix or Tron.

2. mattattack007

mattattack007 New Member

What exactly do you mean by the 'future'? Something like set in present times or like Star Wars future?

If it's present time, check out the genre Urban fantasy.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Sounds like Shadowrun. I enjoyed Shadowrun, back when I knew live human beings to game with.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

My magic using people are set in modernish times - they have MP3 players, mobile phones and laptops. There aren't many cars because of a combination of the setting and lack of hydrocarbons on the island. There are some electric vehicles. I have one scene where a character takes out his mobile phone and texts someone to come and help in the magic. A second where the character uses his phone at the end of an intense ritual to phone for help. There isn't really air travel but figured in a world where a fair proportion of people can turn into birds or are part bird it wouldn't have had the drive to develop it.

The only ones that wear medieval style dress are those who form part of the Royal Family or Religious Orders and that is only because the uniforms haven't changed in eight-hundred-years and contain certain powers in the thread. Most wearers would rather wear jeans and a tshirt like everyone else. In fact two of my best magic users in my first book wear normal clothes for most of it.

It seems to work people who have read it don't find it weird.

5. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Regardless of the setting, I like my magic to be used in tiny, tiny, doses, and only when absolutely necessary. I'd rather see great character development (Dune, Song of Ice and Fire), and characters that use brain power and/or muscle to get out of trouble. So whereever you use magic, don't overdo it.

6. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

My story is mostly set in present day with magic but the fantasy world is a mix of Victorian times and stuff from my head..
    So hey, why not set in the future and have magic? It'll be a nice twist :)

7. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^Sounds like you're talking about Epic Fantasy. And no, I don't think it would lose it's appeal at all. It's still Fantasy. But then again, there might be those who won't want to move from the medieval setting. Those who are fans of Harry Potter, LOTR, and etc. These fans like more familiar than new. So it could go either way -- fifty-fifty.

But if you like your story, go right ahead. Who's to stop you? It's your book, and you have a significant take and POV just as the next person. :)

8. bob smith

bob smith New Member

It doesn't always have to be magic in a medieval setting. Most of my work has a very Roman, classical feel to it. There are no Knights or Sers or Castles or anything, but magic exists in that isn't modern at all.

How about magic in certain times like the old west? how about magic during WW2? If your magic is in the future, you could try and make technology have some part in its discovery/use.

There are many possibilities. You don't have to go the Knights and wizards route, but there's really nothing wrong with that.

9. Vince524

Vince524 New Member

I think that if you have a society that is based on magic the way ours is based on technology, then certain things like tvs, ipopds, electronics, etc would never have been built. You have to imagine new devices, powered by magic only.

If it's magic within and maybe hidden within a non magic society, then you can do both. You could even have electronic instruments that are involved in magic.

It's all in how you deliver it.

10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

No, I don't think there is any loss in appeal to readers, otherwise I'd not have written Flank Hawk.

If you're sick of the 'same old magic' devise something 'new'. I did. No reason you can't, and do even better at it!

11. zilly

zilly New Member

This is more like what I was thinking.

I'm thinking of there being no electricity, but other things substituting most of its uses.

The main thing that I want to replace is the worn out image--suits of armor and robes and staves and wands are overdone. I really just want to create a futuristic image.

12. Vince524

Vince524 New Member

I have a book like that. Avoid metal and electronics and use older marterial, but make it magical.

13. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I have to disagree. Imagining a society in the future using magic is less difficult than you may think. You just have to imagine how things would 'convert.'

For example, look at the internet. The internet could be seen as an interdimensional, all-knowing vessel or spirit. After all, 'communing' with it allows you to access lots of information. :D

Here is another example. Look at one of the functions of a pc or even a kindle. You have a 'magical' book that never runs out of pages no matter how much you write in it. :)

You just have to think outside the box a bit. Or see the box as a rectangle instead. Or something like that. :rolleyes:

14. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree with this all you need to do is add some non magic people, skeptics and scientists. It doesn't have to be a Harry Potter level of segregation.