1. Blue

Blue New Member

How can floating islands float? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Blue, Jan 23, 2007.

How would a floating Island float?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The realm I am working on at the momment consists of a few larger Islands ( really countries ) and a lot of medium to smaller islands.

The psychic forces that the rock, of which makes up the islands body and keeps it suspended, are running low and I need to devise a plan to keep the floating/suspended so that they do not fall from the sky.

The ideas I am throwing around in my head are of magical means. The mages can recharge the stones to a certain degree but their psychic force fails to contest the force that the rocks once had and only stays in the rock for a few months at a time.

I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on how the islands could stay afloat in the air? What could help keep them suspended.

I would love to hear everyone's views and ideas for I have come to be stumped and in a bit of a writers block at the momment unfortunatly

Any ideas on the topic at all would be most appreciated.

Peace,

Blue ( the puzzled :confused: )

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Magically enhanced balloons. Think the Hindenburg times a hundred all over the islands. They'd have to get tens of thousands of slaves to keep them pumped up. Which could lead to radically changed cultures, or warfare to get the necessary slaves from other sources.
    It would also change warfare, instead of attacking cities they try to destroy the balloons. That way the enemies wizards have to remake the balloons or use all their powers to keep the islands afloat. Either way they're out of the picture for a little while.

Hope this helps.

3. Blue

Blue New Member

Ooooh - tender.

I like that idea - it has got my mind working and my writers block unblocked.

What your idea made me think/brainstorm:

: This person that replied is smart ^.^

: That there could be sky planes... Like hot air balloons but instead of it just being a cane basket it could be a wooden boat with propeller and stuff...

: The comment made me think more about revolt within the society.

: The relationship between government and community working together to solve, or slow down the process, of the problem.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated :cool:

Anyone else that wants to comment - please do.

I eagerly await response.

- Blue :cool:

4. Axis

Axis New Member

Read The Scar by China Mieville. Not because he has floating islands, but because he has a city floating in the ocean. The same cultural and social problems are going to be evident.

I suppose the question is you need to know why the islands are floating in the first place. Do you? If so, then you need to have people trying to replicate that.

5. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Glad I could help.