1. Montag

Montag New Member

I tend to prefer smaller novels, am I in the minority?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Montag, Oct 3, 2007.

In general, I tend to look at and buy the smaller novels in bookstores. A good length for me is around 250 pages.

I frequently read books that are far longer than that, but I don't enjoy them as much. I'm not sure why. I guess I just like things to get to the point. (like me, I guess :p)

2. dushechka

dushechka New Member

No, I enjoy short novels as well.
    Honestly, every favorite novel of mine has been under 300 pages, sometimes 200.
    I guess I feel longer novels drag the point out too long, or have too much dialogue. Not to mention I grow tired of descriptions very easily.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

No, one of the few reasons I never botherd reading a L. Ron Hubberd novel (aside from him being a xenophobic rasict) was that his novels where simply too long for me to continue caring about anything that was happoning...

Oftan my favourte novels are short, like 1984, The Call of Cthulhu, The Colour out of Space and Johnny Got his Gun.

4. dushechka

dushechka New Member

I think Animal Farm is the perfect example of how a novel doesn't have to be long in order for it to be good.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Exactly, Animal Farm is a Classic!

6. K~la

K~la New Member

I've read a lot of lengthy novels, but many times it is the shorter ones that are more intriguing. For me, I just don't have the time to read anything too long so I can enjoy shorter novels more because I know I'm actually going to be able to finish it. One of my favourites is "Catcher in the Rye". One of the few good books we read back inhigh school.

7. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Pieces of any length can be good, it is crazy to assume length determines quality (in this instance!) and vice versa. I also love to read shorter works because I don't have that much time to dedicate to reading or writing and shorter pieces therefore are more easily managed. A longer work can lose its impact if read over a long time period. Another plus that shorter pieces have is that you can read more and more variedly if you only read short. There is though of course a time and a place for the weighty tome.

8. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure.. I like both, but if its going to be long it has to have a point and it shouldn't just drag on. I hate when a good story comes to an end though...

9. Pnin

Pnin New Member

I also prefer shorter novels and think that around 300 pages are the perfect size for a novel. When I see that a book has 600 or more pages then it should better have a good reputation or I won't bother reading it. I also can't stand series, which is why I hardly read any fantasy. My attention span is definitely too short to go through "Boredom in Fantasia 1 - 12". :rolleyes:

10. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I quite like series' but there has to be a point. Writing for writing's sake, and carrying on a story that should've ended really doesn't hold my attention.

11. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

The length of a book doesn't matter to me as long as its interesting.

12. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny New Member

I avoid the 600-1000 pagers. I do like the shorter novels (under 300 pages myself.)

13. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

One of my favoritest novles is Anthem by Ayn Rand. It may be the shortest novels that have convincing characters. I really enjoyed it. However, Ayn Rand's other books ... Like Fountain or Atlas Shrugged are OK, but they tend to drag the point out way too much.

14. dushechka

dushechka New Member

I have yet to finish that, though what I've read of it, 'tis very very interesting.

I'm currently reading The Fountainhead, but I do agree; they drag out far too much. I think she just enjoyed her rambling a wee bit too much.

15. Tyunglebo

Tyunglebo New Member

Thank you! I have been interested lately in getting into reading fantasy...escapism you know? Sometimes I need a break from symbolism and brilliance, and just want to read a story....but 99% of any fantasy book I have ever encountered in a book store is... "The lastest in the blood sort saga" or "Book 4 in the Epic of Mustard" or whatever.

Are there no self contained fantasy novels? And even if not..how come I never run into part ONE of any of them??? ha.

16. Plushii

Plushii New Member

I also like shorter novels. Generally I tend to enjoy novels between 200-400 pages. Even though a long novel can be good, I have erratic reading habits and it takes me forever to finish books since I get bored easily I don't read series either.

17. mikespread1988

mikespread1988 New Member

I like the marathon books as long as they stay interesting throughout and turn up something significant every now and then. Ideal length would probably be 400-500 pages, but I know what you mean about some being too long. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as you enjoy reading it.

18. topper

topper New Member

I definitely prefer longer books--but I'm a speed reader, so I often finish a book in less than a day. Also, I hate it when a book is really good and it ends and leaves me thirsting for more. I tend to get frustrated with series, though, because there the author often writes beyond the point where they should have stopped and it goes all to heck.

19. Smithy

Smithy New Member

*Looks at his 650 page WIP that isn't finished yet* You give me a nice warm feeling inside people, cheers. *mutters* at least it's a stand alone story.

20. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Look in the juvenile section of your library. The golden age of fantasy is 14. If you want titles and authors just let me know. *cough* Bruce Coville *cough*

21. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Long books have to be very intersting with complicated plots and sub plots to hold my attention. But there is just something about a 240 page book with a fast moving story.

22. AwfulBigAdventure

AwfulBigAdventure New Member

I think it's safer as a new author to write something shorter and more to the point than an epic of 1000+ pages. I pick up new short books from authors I don't know. I don't pick up hefty tombs unless I KNOW it's going to be good.

23. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

No, I don't think so, I like shorter novels better than longer ones, because it gets to the point quicker and it's more satisfying. The Longest Book I read I think was the Sixth Harry Potter, that was the only book of that length I could get into and stay into. Some of the acclaimed classics, like Moby Dick, a Journey To the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which btw I don't think it counts as traveling under the sea if you frequently come up, etc...etc...I ended up reading the shorter versions because I couldn't get into the long ones, like Moby Dick, 30 pages on breakfast, come on, seriously? What does that have to do with anything?

24. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I don't think length matters in the slightest. East of Eden is not a short read, and it's one of my favorite books. I disagree with the people who were saying that The Fountainhead was too long. It was a complicated book that had a lot to say, and it succeeded masterfully in doing that. Anthem was okay, but I believe that Rand's masterpiece was in fact The Fountainhead. It was flat out better than Atlas Shrugged or Anthem. I haven't yet read We the Living, but from what I understand it doesn't hold a candle to her other books.

As said earlier, it is crazy to judge a book by its length. Who the hell cares how long it is?

25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

ROFLMAO :D

*wipes happy tears from eyes*

Thank you, that just made my morning!

I think it all depends on my mood. Sometimes I have more than one book going at a time. Usually a longer novel and a couple of shorts. I like to take a break from longer reads and enjoy a complete short novel in one afternoon with some good coffee. It's like a sorbet.