Make-up: a debate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VM80, Aug 16, 2011.

1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Maybe I am a little old fashion. All the woman I have ever found pretty in my childhood wore makeup. I believe we look for traits that we have seen as children. Our wires are connecting and part of that biology connects. Pretty woman where makeup. I remember watching my mother put on makeup as a child and perfume. So it's only natural that I seek a woman wearing makeup.

I don't think we like to discuss the scientific parts. But daughters will look for traits in men of their father or traits that remind them of their fathers. Where as sons will look for traits of their mother in a potential match. I am only partly what my genetics make me.

There is nothing wrong with a woman without makeup. But if you're trying to flirt with me or trying to get me to come out with you, wear makeup. I don't think she needs to wear makeup all the time. It's her choice and her body. But I would prefer if she did. For the very reasons up there. All the woman in my life have been the type to wear good makeup. Enhancing their natural look with a rather fake natural look.

edit-

To comment on your post above me. That's scientifically wrong. Appearance is the first connection of attraction. You may not be aware of it. But subconsciously when you walk into cafe or a club [not that you would walk into a club] you are looking at potential mates and potential threats. Whether or not you're aware of it. Your subconsciously judging your mate on their physical appearance.

Why?

Because of a little instinct called reproduction. We want to find the mates with the best genes for us to continue our genes and their genes along the generations. So instinctual appearance is everything. But so we don't look shallow and our society makes it sound wrong that this instinct lives inside us we say we're looking for personality. But to your primitive mind, it can give a flying fuck about his/her personality. Will it be the best suitor?

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Not a bad thing! I can actually think of two men off the top of my head who I'd love to steal jewellery from (especially one who seems to have an extensive collection of long, silver earrings). :D Although I did find it a little odd when I went home with a guy last month and when I woke-up the next morning he was straightening his hair for work... and he's required to wear a hat on the job! He told me he doesn't ever leave the house without straightening his hair. :rolleyes: His vanity set-up was even better than mine. So jealous.

I'm one of those people who don't leave the house without make-up on and can easily spend 2~3 hours getting ready for a night out. I'm not unhappy with the way I look but I definitely prefer how I look with it on - even if I don't have much time I'll still put on concealer, lip gloss and mascara (or at least chuck some in a handbag so I can do it elsewhere). I've dated some guys who've said they like heavy make-up and others who say natural/no make-up is best.

3. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

What part is wrong? I do think that we are all, perhaps to differing extents, judging others or attracted to others based on an aethetic level. But I think that's only the first step.

I said if that's all you have, and looks are all that matter, you (collective you) may be in for a surprise, once life kicks in & people get older etc.

4. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

Mkay.

I am not going to have this argument with any one.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

This is only the beginning though...it's not as simple as "this person is attractive"="this person has good genes"="let's make babies". How attractive you find someone is affected by all sorts of things, ranging from the colour of their clothing (red=more attractive), to your hormonal state (women's tastes can shift dramatically depending on their menstrual cycle), etc, etc.

Make-up is about culture, not about biology, for the same reasons you said yourself. This feminine ideal still exists within Western cultures where blonde hair, red lips and a tan = ideal. We're getting to a point as a culture where these tropes are beginning to be rejected by the masses after decades and decades of academic criticism filtering down into mainstream media, but for the most part, they're still perpetuated on a domestic and individual level.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though--feminine rituals like that have the potential to be empowering and certainly allow for individual expression. I just think it pays to be critical of anything that makes some kind of claim to idealism or beauty.

2 people like this.
  6. art

art Contributor Contributor

-David Foster Wallace, This is Water

Wallace aside, I do feel that people should feel a certain moral obligation to look their best at all times. Smartens the place up. Renders the brutishness of life somewhat more bearable. Sometimes, after popping into my local Asda (for Americans, read Walmart) I have to read some poetry or put on a George Clooney/ Monica Bellucci film in order to mollify my outraged aesthetic sensibility.

1 person likes this.
  7. VM80

^ Yes thank you.

All about perspective. There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good/presentable, in fact it should be encouraged. However trying to be some kind of human doll... no.

Now, don't talk to me about ASDA, please... I have one down the road from me and seen too many things to discuss here. Hope you stick to your own rules when you pop out for a pint of milk?

8. art

art Contributor Contributor

Of course. Though I don't iron my shirts (except for funerals and some, but not all, weddings).

I have it on good authority that some members of the beautiful people club are simply unable to set foot in Walmart and the like. I love all supermarkets to be fair: all of human life is there.

In Britain, at least, the signage aside, you can tell immediately whether you're in Waitrose or Asda by the number of items that have been dumped by customers - who have changed their mind about the advisability of a purchase - in the wrong place. In Asda you will find strawberries in the freezer section, amongst the DVDs, and amid the moisturisers. Such things always raise a titter.

1 person likes this.
  9. VM80

Glad to hear it.

If it's just strawberries you've seen mis-placed, you're a lucky man. I've come across perishable items (dairy, meat) that have been dumped somewhere like the bread aisle. Now really? At least find the closest fridge...

But as you say, you need to find amusement in such things. One of my favourites is looking at some of the more dubious smart price options, and trying to identify what exactly makes them so damn cheap...

10. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I hardly ever wear make-up - if I do, it's only mascara. Sometimes I'll throw a whole lot on my face, just for fun (but I'd never go somewhere looking like that :eek:). It's not that I think I'm so pretty, I guess I'm just lazy and don't want a whole lot of products on my face?

1 person likes this.
  11. Ichigo Tsuki

Ichigo Tsuki New Member

Cosmetics

Hi! New thread, random, but yes.

Anyway, for the kitties who wear make up, what's your fave color combos and places to get your make up? I happen to look good in darker colors, but because of that I ended up looking more than a little goth quite often so I'm slowly trying to find my way into brighter colors. Fave places to get make up is Shu uemura, shisheido, benefit, and too faced. I usually go for a dark eye and subtle lip, but sometimes i break out with gold and glittery sea green eye make up and eggplant lipstick. :-D

12. proserpine

proserpine New Member

I loved Shaklee's cosmetics, but they stopped making them, so now I am looking for replacements. :(

I just bought the Colorista Palette from Sephora, which has a ton of different eyeshadows, blush, and gloss. I am favoring the golds, browns, and greens in the eyeshadows. I also purchased two eyeliner pencils- one in standby chocolate brown, and one in khaki, which is a pretty gray-green.

I like ordering from Sephora because you get free samples. I always choose perfume samples, and this time I also received a free Urban Decay lipgloss. It is minty and delicious, and stays on for more than five mintues, which I appreciate.

ETA: The thread seems to have been absorbed into a bigger one, so I'll address it to stay on topic. I think makeup is okay, as long as it is applied in a way that makes it look like you're not wearing a lot, (or any), and if it is to enhance your beauty and not hide.

13. Ichigo Tsuki

Ichigo Tsuki New Member

lol! i know i hate how some lip gloss is in constant need of reapplication. i've actually never tried sephora but i've heard of them. hmm, and free samples, well that's kinda already sold me, lol

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I just limit myself to a little eyeliner and a wet look clear lip gloss. And a little highlight to bring out my cheekbones.

;)

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I put on only a small amount of makeup -- eyeliner, mascara, etc. Things that highlight your face, but don't obscure it, like smearing makeup on it would do.

16. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I hear all sorts of indignant things from men about how they don't like make up and don't date women who wear a lot.

At a bar the other night we were discussing this. I was saying that men don't really know how much make up is a LOT of make up unless it has reached clown territory (spidery eyelashes, lots of black kohl and orange blusher). My friend (male) then said "Well you wear hardly any make up so I thought you'd like a man saying he is attracted to women without make up?"

It was soooo funny. I wear foundation, blusher, lipstick, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow, the works. He couldn't believe it.

Are we not just talking about badly applied make up here?

I find this debate endlessly amusing. It's also kind of insincere at times - I've never seen a guy look at a really beautiful woman and say "she has too much make up on" Make up is, sadly, part of the modern illusion of beauty.

1 person likes this.
  17. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

This is my general consensus on this whole matter: I hate wearing it. I hate the feeling of it on my skin. So, I don't wear it. I figure if any people care SO much that they won't be around me, then I really don't want to be around them.

Granted, I am blessed with a very clear complexion, and this is not an excuse for poor hygiene habits. ;) I maintain those.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Well I'm not a male, but I do not prefer the full make-up look. I would hope that a guy could find a woman more attractive than just some fake stuff you put on that sometimes enhances their features if used right. Actually I would prefer a guy to find a woman more attractive than what the eyes can see. To me, pure beauty is within a person. It's their personality itself.
    I only use eye make-up, but honestly, I rarely wear make-up. I hate applying it on every morning and it's only fake so whats the big deal? But then again that is only my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  19. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I used to work in a salon, and I put on a full face of makeup every day. When I first moved in with Joel, I wouldn't let him see me without makeup on. Now, though, I very, very rarely wear makeup...maybe once a month, and usually even then it's only eyeliner and a little mascara. Joel likes me better without it.

1 person likes this.
  20. VM80

One (I) can only dream...

I think true beauty is a combination of many factors.

21. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

^That's for sure.

22. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I don't wear make up..and I'm going to try not to..
    I don't mind girls who wear eye make up and stuff...to enhance their beauty or whatever. I'll probably end up doing this for prom.

But the full face make up. What the hell? Has society really convinced us that we have to look extremely perfect and have no flaws at all?

Me and make up just don't match. I feel like I'm hiding my imperfections when it natural for me to have them. If someone can't say I'm pretty because of them, well, opinions are subjective. I feel like, if I begun to wear make up, I'll just get more self concious than I am already. -__- So I'd rather just come to terms with the imperfections about me. Y'know?

Odd opinion. but yeah.

23. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I wear at least some makeup most of the time, but I never wear a whole lot. When I try to wear too much it always looks ridiculous, so I keep it to a minimum.

24. Leah

Leah Member

I wear make up to not scare people in public (I kid, I kid), but ususally pretty minimal.

Foundation to even out my lovely british skin tone (gee, thanks MOM! lol), some lipstick, eyeliner and that's it. But I must admit I like going all out when dressing up for an occasion.

25. flipflop

flipflop New Member

Men may not wear make up much but we have shaved, dyed our hair and used moisturizer on occasions. Tattoos have been around for a while too. Aftershave to smell nice. Clothes are also important. Personally i wont go out with a girl that doesn't wear make up. (nor would she go out with me if i didn't shave for a week)