Make-up: a debate

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VM80, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Sharklol

Sharklol New Member

^Liar? I think yes.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

^ I didn't realize you knew each other?

3. Sharklol

Sharklol New Member

^We don't. However, I think it would be silly to be entirely sure you will never, ever go out with a girl who isn't wearing make-up.
    What if you have always loved/liked her, now get the chance to go out with her, but she doesn't wear make-up for some reason?
    What if the situation makes it impossible for a girl to wear make-up?
    What if the coming beauty standards change in a way that make-up on women is seen as ridiculous or something?
    Just some thoughts, it was meant as a lighthearted comment.

4. Lemex

I know that would be a silly comment if it was made, but is that what he really said?

This does not have to mean the girl has to wear make-up all the time.

5. Sharklol

Sharklol New Member

He won't go out with a girl that doesn't wear make up. I'm sure your English is better than mine but I must say, I think that means he won't go out with a girl who doesn't wear make up at the point of going out (and this might not be the case in future or some of the situations I mentioned).
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. An explanation why what I said about his statement is not right as well would be great.

Edit: And if you mean that his sentence meant that it was no problem if the girl in question wouldn't wear make up at a single instance of going out, my scenarios cover that as well don't they? (e.g. beauty standards)

1 person likes this.
  6. Lemex

I'll PM you. Back to topic.

7. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

I just think it's silly whenever guys expect girls to wear make-up at all times. Whenever you have the full-make-up look it's fake. Why would you want to look like a carbon copy of someone else whenever you were born original? I'd much rather be the unique one who is always herself. :D

3 people like this.
  8. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

It's interesting how people's 'dating criteria' differ. I have my own, of course, but whether he shaves everyday/week or not is not one of them. Perhaps he likes that look etc etc

I will agree that a splash of aftershave is nice, though...

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 person likes this.
  9. Killex

Killex New Member

Sometimes the most expensive clothes or hats can look utterly silly (take for instance wthat hat is being paraded in Milan year after year). No matter how much money is spent on an outfit or on clothes or makeup it can not hide what is behind it. The person. I believe that society has created an ideal that is impossible to live up to with its portrayal of women in film and media and this in turn has created a lust for this type of image. Now after being a male in the schooling system I can firmly say that the more attractive of the girls are the ones who play to their strengths. Maybe a bit of concealer here or foundation there. but other wise "natural" as opposed to those who "Cake" it on. In a school (with uniforms) the price of the clothing is not a problem as everyone is wearing the same thing and excessive makeup in this case is a major detractor. This is just my humble opinion. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. jabber-baby-wocky

jabber-baby-wocky New Member

im not a fan of make up. i hate the smell of it, and i hate worrying whether or not it smears or rubs off on anything. i do wear eyeliner sometimes, but nothing else. but mostly cause i look like im 13 without make-up (im 18)

most guys i know prefer girls without make-up

1 person likes this.
  11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

This. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

12. Lemex

Too true. I'm giving you rep.

13. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Make-up is so damn over-rated. Girls who think it's the be-all-and-end-all of looking attractive are just using it as an emotional crutch because they feel ugly, or they think they're insignificant if they don't look identical to other girls. Guys who like women with make-up all the time are probably controlling and insecure as well. Just examples of some very sour, mixed up people.

I wear just a little because I like the way it enhances my features, but I go out all the time with no make-up on. No amount of make-up in the world is going to change who I am or how I truly look, and it's not going to fool anyone either. It's just, for some girls, excessive make-up to them is like sunglasses to shy rockstars. As long as it makes them feel safe and concealed then they can handle anything. Doesn't cure the real problem, though.

14. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Me personally, I can't even go Walmart or the gym without at least some mascara. I guess I just like the way I look with makeup and I like to look good when I go out, regardless of where that is. I'm not one to pile on the makeup with mountains of eye shadow and foundation or anything (except for special occasions), but mascara and eyeliner is just always a must for me...

Also, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with wearing makeup, and I don't really like the assumption that every girl that wears makeup does it just as a need for attention or a means to overcome insecurities. What's wrong with wanting to look your best? I don't think anyone should be expected to wear makeup, and I don't think anyone should be expected to not wear it. To each their own. Whatever floats your boat, etc etc.

1 person likes this.
  15. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Why is mascara so important?

16. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Because it's a personal preference and I like the way I look with it - simple as that :)

17. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

It doesn't seem to me that it makes much difference in a woman...

18. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Check out the make up haters! Really though, it wouldn't be a multi billion dollar industry if it didn't make people look better. I don't find this disempowering. It's just the way it is. I wasn't blessed with genes that ensure I have gorgeous flawless skin. If I put some foundation on in the morning before I go to work, I don't have to bother myself with that fact. As a feminist I think women certainly have bigger battles to fight (like the erosion of fertility rights/access to abortion in the US).

I know tons of confident women (myself included) who wear make up. It isn't a badge of insecurity. Not by a long shot. I could just as easily say that women who don't wear make up are insecure for equally arbitrary reasons. This puritanical approach to wearing make up is kind of bizarre...

19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Not necessarily. One can make a lot of money playing to people's insecurities and providing products meant to improve the person. Whether they do so or not is a separate matter from whether they sell.

1 person likes this.
  20. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

If you have lighter colored eyelashes, it can make a huge difference. I don't wear makeup often, but putting on a little bit of eyeliner or mascara makes a huge difference in the way I look, because it makes my eyes stand out a lot more.

21. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I don't really consider make-up to be a big deal at all, but if a girl relies on wearing a ton of it just to feel good enough to walk out the door, then I'm pretty sure she has issues. Besides, a ton of anything, especially make-up, can't possibly look good.

Having said that, I don't blame the make-up industry at all for how people respond to it. It's better that those who are insecure have a method of dealing with it than being forced to go out feeling hideous and being reclusive because of it.

Make-up is a fun thing to me, and it shouldn't be anything other than that, really. Just a pleasantry like wearing nice shoes.

22. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

This. I don't think most men have looked closely and know which women wear make-up and which don't. If a woman always wears (well applied) make-up, many men may think she always looks that way.

I think make-up can make a woman look more beautiful, but in moderate amounts. The women who work at fancy hairdressers, for example, tend to wear lots of well applied make-up, and look like beautiful plastic dolls, which is perfectly fine in their professional role, but I wouldn't want to kiss them wearing that.

23. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

I feel most attracted toward "natural looking" girls. A little bit of mascara or eyeshadow is okay, but let's just say that I'd stop crushing on my crush if my crush wore makeup.

24. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yes by all means. I wear some if and when I feel like it.

As for wanting to look your best, what 'best' means is highly subjective imo. Best for me does not mean having to look 'flawless', at all times. Men (generally) don't think of themselves in those terms, and can look pretty good as they are. I have that kind of attitude.

25. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Where I live, the full-make-up look consists of masses of dark eyeshadow, huge fake eyelashes, bright blush and super-shiny lipgloss that matches your skin colour (usually orange)

The blokes I know find this look either hilarious or frightening, but from seeing the 'success' of the girls on Geordie Shore it's clear that this is a case of to each their own!

I rarely wear makeup, because I swim a lot and can't be bothered removing mascara all the time. I really don't care if my blonde eyelashes offend someone! When I do wear it, usually if I'm going out for an evening, I go for a more polished version of myself - admittedly that is because I'm an unskilled, left-handed klutz :p

1 person likes this.