1. Mystic_snowfang

Mystic_snowfang New Member

Writing in a distracting enviroment?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Mystic_snowfang, Mar 7, 2011.

I've got a problem. First off, I've got senstive hearing, secondly I live in a chaotic noisy household. Thirdly, i'm not allowed to take my computer to my room. Whenever I want to write, it seems that someone is making noise, and lots of it. This makes it hard for me to write, any ideas?

2. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

Ear plugs?

Is the computer a laptop? Are you allowed to take it to the library?

3. midwestwife

midwestwife New Member

PEN AND PAPER!!! :) I have to do that a lot. Not that I am not "allowed" to have my computer alone. But I find the computer has A LOT of built in distractions. But you can get a lot of your editing done while you are typing from paper (that gives you the needed solitude).
    Or you could try head phones and music. I find classical music is great for writing.
    Amanda

4. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Grab a set of headphones and listen to music as you write from said computer. It may help to block out the excess noise. And even though they are unpopular, I'd suggest getting the big headphones that cover your entire ear externally, as opposed to the ones that you have to fit into your ear. They will better block out other sounds and they are better for your hearing as they allow sound to echo out of your ear canal.

5. Spring Gem

Spring Gem New Member

Depending on your financial situation, you might consider getting an Alphasmart Neo. No internet access, runs on AA batteries that last a very long time, portable and rugged, easy to transfer your files to the computer. It's great for writing first drafts, but not very practical for editing because you see only six lines at a time. I take mine to the library, or the park, or the back yard.

6. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Head/earphones with the sound of the sea or the forest.

7. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Keep odd hours.

8. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Use pen and paper in your room and then copy it on to the computer.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Edit - Have you thought about a dicta-phone? You could record what it is you wish to write and then later with the earplugs in you could copy it onto the computer.

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

That is ridiculous.

Complain, and say that you are a highly-strung artist who cannot possibly compose what will clearly bring about the next prosaic revolution whilst listening to the uncouth caterwauling and general pandemonium of the great unwashed, and bid to be left in peace with your vital tools of trade.

Well, that's what I would do... ;)

EDIT: Adopt this pose, while saying the above:

[​IMG]

10. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Type really loudly. Growing your fingernails will help making the sound extra annoying. My dad hates it when I type and sends me to my room when I get too inspired.

11. billwoodywriter

billwoodywriter New Member

Why don't you look at getting a reconditioned laptop for a couple of quid. I've just had a quick look to see what's on the market and there are some good deals from legitimate laptop sellers - just Google "reconditioned laptop" - hope this helps!

12. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Is there a reason why you can't take the computer into your room?

If it's because of unsupervised internet access, find a geek who can lock down the wireless network hard enough that you have to jack-in. (Unfortunate side effect of bringing an antique IBM to school.)

If it's because of controlled computer time, work out a schedule where you can drag the machine someplace quiet.

I've written a story on a palm pilot with a keyboard hack, and I'm thinking about trying the Asus 800 when it comes out.

If what's bothering you is having to re-type stories once you've written them, try an electronic typewriter and OCR software.

You could always hit the library and tell them that you are writing an essay for school.

Other than that, pen and paper and best of luck.

13. Mystic_snowfang

Mystic_snowfang New Member

I would, except I've got joint issues. Typing is eaiser on my hands, AND I can't read my own hand writing.

14. Terry D

Terry D Active Member

Speak to your parents about the no computer in your room restriction. Offer to let them read what you've written after each session, and review your internet browsing history with them after each session.

If that doesn't work, or isn't practical, go the pen and paper method.