Tags:
  1. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

My "Plucky Comic Relief"

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jones6192, Oct 25, 2010.

In one of my novels, the one I'm currently focusing on, I decided to give the protagonist, a teenage girl, a sidekick throughout her adventure. My original idea was to make him an Amy Adams fan (because I am too), but after arguing with a friend of mine, realized that this was more of a personal in-joke than a true kicking-off point for humor. So I decided instead, again drawing on my real life obsessions, to make him an Indiana Jones fanatic. As in, he actually goes around dressed as the character. No, really. I actually used to do that, that's how weird I was.

I just thought it would be amusing to have a character that interested in something, especially since said thing is something I love as well. I think it's a fun and interesting personality quirk, and something that hasn't often been touched upon (the Indy fandom, I mean. Usually it's Star Wars fans or Trekkers). Does this character sound endearing or interesting at all to you?

The primary reason for establishing this obsession is because at some point later in the story, our heroes encounter booby traps, and the character, being the super-knowledgeable fan he is, is an expert at evading traps, so it actually pays off and ends up being hugely important, not just a random quirk.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Sounds good... write it! :D

3. Manav

Manav New Member

Yeah... it sounds super interesting.

4. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

^ Yeah, that totally works. Have some sidekick be the knowledge-nerd who's weird, but ends up saving the day because of his nerdyness :D (This nerd sick-kick thing has been done before. I saw it in some animated movie).

BTW, I'm a Trekker :D

Space...the final frontier...And all that awesome jazz :D

5. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

If you write it well, this definitely has some good potential.

6. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Even if you did it, it would feel over the top to have the character dressed as Indiana Jones in many lines of fiction. But i think the heart of the idea is good, but would take down a few notches. Just an hat for example would get the message across, and be able to use as a prop during the story.

7. Mae

Mae New Member

I like it! It's an awesome idea, go for it!

(Oh, I'm a trekkie. but mostly a Lostie! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT!)

8. Taylee91

^ Lostie? Reiterate please :D

EDIT: Jones, we're Trekkies, by the way. Not Trekkers :D

9. Mae

Mae New Member

I'm a LOST fanatic! You know. That mindblowingly confusing, many people hate it, because they didn't have the brain capacity to follow along, which I don't blame them for whatsoever because I laid awake many sleepless nights figuring out the plot to the TV show that wasted an hour of my time every Wednesday night.
    Sorry. I rambled.

Anyway. A LOSTIE is a person who is completely obsessed with the TV show LOST.
    I don't think many people cover my families obsession. I, for example, have 4 8 15 16 23 42 and the Dharma Symbol(http://www.chrisroberson.net/uploaded_images/dharma-788838.jpg) painted on my furniture...

10. Taylee91

Oh! *slams fist into forehead* I get you now :D

11. yogapoet74

yogapoet74 New Member

There are all sorts of prompts like this that are really fun and also get you into your characters head more. One fun one is, "What would your character's theme song be?" Also, in Joan Dempsey's eBook "60 Tips and Tools for Staying at the Writing Desk" on www.literaryliving.com, she has writers do this for characterization: "Act out a scene from a play that inspires you – or one that is utterly new to you. Or watch a film that inspires you and act along in the scene, embodying the emotions. Note how this feels physically as well as emotionally." Fun!

12. yogapoet74

yogapoet74 New Member

Oh yeah, P.S. HUGE HUGE HUGE Indiana Jones fan! Think the character idea is GREAT!

13. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

I read that some Trek fans are offended by the term Trekkie, which has become synonymous with "dork", and prefer to be called Trekkers. So I was just trying to be sensitive there. See, I happen to be a Trek lover too, after seeing the JJ Abrams-directed awesomeness.

Anyways, thank you all for your support and advice. It's good to know there are people who share my nerdish sense of humor.

14. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

I think it sounds great! Do it!

15. Taylee91

Oh, sorry about my hasty post, Jones :D See, I didn't know we Star Trek fans had two different associations. My bad :D
    "Trekkie" is the association I know more because my mom refers to us as "Trekkies." Hee, hee. Well, you can call me a Trekkie then :D I don't mind one bit.

Live Long and Prosper, Jones *performs split-fingered salute* (or whatever it's called)

16. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

I actually used to do this. So it's actually based on something I did. I was younger, and I have grown up a great deal since then, so don't worry about me being unhealthily disturbed or anything.

Same to you, fellow Fan of the Federation!

"KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

17. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

*Vulcan salute* Greetings Trekkies. :D

"Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one."

18. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

"FIRE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Okay, now that that's out of my system, let's get back on-topic. :D

19. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Alright, alright. Back to your query. Yes, I think it's a great idea. :) I see the potential for a lot of humor in it. Your direct case actually reminds me of Galaxy Quest, staring Tim Allen. Okay, okay, sorry, yet another trekkie/Star Trek reference, BUT in the movie a teenage nerd ends up saving the MC and the MC's sidekicks in the do-or-die ending of the movie. Have you seen it?

EDIT: Justin Long happened to be the nerd.

20. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

Heheh, this is interesting because I actually have a character who hates Indiana Jones (I personally love Indie). She's studying archaeology and thinks the character/movies have ruined the real profession, sounds a little clichéd I know but it works. And I think one of the funniest things is that her cousin, who's travelling with her, will drop in Indiana references which totally pisses her off.

Anyway I think your character sounds interesting and will work so good luck! :)

21. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Letting the sidekick be an Indiana Jones-fanatic sounds really fun. As w176 says, it sounds too good to be real (even if it is real), so make sure you explain it properly when the sidekick enters the narration. Make a few jokes about his dress, let him argue about his Indiana Jones-obsession with your main character, etc.

If your characters point out how ridiculous it is, the reader may feel that their own need to point it out is satisfied. It will also show the reader that it is intentional, so they may have faith that you as a writer will pull it off.

22. Jones6192

Jones6192 New Member

I have, and I love it to pieces.