Making vampires scary again

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by WriterDude, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

@Bass: But in the movie Priest, there were a ton of them, weren't there? I saw the trailer and it looked like there were a bunch of them that, while disturbing-looking, were relatively easy to kill. It would be really scary if there were fewer of them, but they were extremely difficult if not impossible to kill, and they rarely showed themselves but had acute senses to track people down and etc. The Uruk-hai from LOTR looked scary, but because there were so many and they were so easy to kill in battle, they weren't scary at all in the films.

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva New Member

@Mallory - They were easy to kill if you were a Priest. Darned near impossible to kill if you were a normal human.

@ cruciFICTION - That was really the point of my comparing the "vampires" the OP was talking about to the "vampires" in Priest. They aren't really vampires at all. I agree that the "scariest" part about "true" vampires is that they look human, but aren't even remotely human.

Getting total OT, but...yes, Cam Gigandet, who plays Hicks (the sheriff), is also a vampire in Twilight. He plays James, the sadistic tracker vampire who hunts down Bella to get to Edward in the first movie. I only know that because of IMDB.com (I swear!). I agree with your first point about Paul Bettany (LOVED him in A Knight's Tale!). And Karl Urban (Eomer, for all your LOTR fans) made an epic bad guy playing Black Hat. He gave me the heebie jeebies the first time I saw him. Also, it's a futuristic sci-fi western...I think "over-the-top" and pretty much impossible action sequences are REQUIRED!

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Active Member

The vampire in 'Let the right one in' was pretty scary.

She was definitely not the typical Hollywood vampire.

4. Helmsing

Helmsing Member

Lol. That was/is a widely used nickname for myself given to me by one of my friends after reading the books. And...I agree Dracula was a great read but it has ruined my ability to enjoy other vampire novels.

5. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

From that description i dont see any difference between a vampire and a werewolf