1. sinda

sinda New Member

Can someone tell me the name of this famous short story?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by sinda, Sep 28, 2013.

I am having trouble recalling the name of this short story, it is a somewhat famous story since it was republished in a book of classic short stories. I recall some of the details but I forget the name due to having read it many years ago, does anyone know what is the name of the story?

I think it was

set in brazil (or a south american country)
    the protaganist was a German man
    it was set during world war 2
    the protagonist finds another german man living in the same town as he is. He thinks the other man is a nazi but he is not sure, he tries to get him to admit it and the other man denies it, at the end of the story he murders the other man and when the police asked why he killed him he lies and said it was due to personal debt, the man does not go to prison.
    I think there was a part where he puts up the nazi flag on the other man's house.

Has anyone read this story? It is a somewhat famous short story, I figure someone should know the name.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I have no idea, but maybe you can search through this site if no one else does either:

Nazi stories

There are quite a few that are short stories.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

3. sinda

sinda New Member

I took a look at the link, most of it seems to be fan fiction. The story I had in mind was not written by a fan, so I don't think it will be in the list.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:confused: There's a search filter if you click on "more stories" and it also includes an option to hide categories. So you can choose short story and 'hide' fan fiction.

If you recall anything more specific it might help.

5. Michael Timothy

Michael Timothy New Member

This sounds an awful lot like The Boys from Brazil, although that was a novel and not a short story. Did you perhaps read it in a collection of some kind?

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Sounds like a Borges short story to me.