1. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

...Love

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cerrus, Feb 4, 2011.

Hello everyone. I am having trouble in a part of my novel. I'm trying to create a bit of love between my main character and a side character, but nothing really serious. I just don't know how to really get the reader to really feel that emotion. And like I said it's not very serious love it's more like a small boyfriend girlfriend relationship. Oh and also, the main character has to leave her not far after so I can't have them taking 2 years to fall in love. Please Help!

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

What age are they?
    You could say the MC develops an attraction to her, doesn't need to be love. He could like her personality or looks and that's what draws him to her. Falling in love varies for everyone but I can't really say as I haven't been in love before.
    Hope this helped,
    Good luck :)

3. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

I never really give an exact age in the story but the age range the reader would think would be around 18 - 21. But thanks for the tip, I'm sure it'll help!

4. Terri

Terri New Member

I would shoot to convey attraction rather than true love. Especially if the girl is out of the pic soon. If she's not an intricate part of the plot then don't spend a lot of time on her.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

It helps if you create characters you yourself find attractive but that also find each other attractive. I find when I do that keeping them apart is more difficult. I have two characters that really struggle not hopping into bed with each other.

6. Terri

Terri New Member

haha! Gotta love it when you have a plan in place & your MC says, "I don't think so." Go with the flow. Your characters will take you down some strange roads, but half the time they end up being the one you should have thought of yourself in the first place!

7. Elgaisma

I spent half a novel trying to keep these two apart, finally gave in and rewrote it with them snogging in the first chapter, but gave them some incidents so they didn't take it any further for most of the book :) Not through lack of trying on their part.

My MC who had been strictly monogamous for one-hundred-and-fifty years, suddenly causes a love square (not even a triangle he has three men on the go). Not the way I imagined him going at all lol

8. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

I like the idea of attraction, but she will be somewhat part of the plot. He leaves her later in the book, but she will come back in the second book. (I've already got a whole trilogy in my head :D) Oh and just so you guys know, this is a fantasy novel not a romance so the whole story ain't gonna be about love, just a couple parts. :p

9. Terri

Terri New Member

Yeah! Fantasy! My fav. That's what I'm currently working on. I posted ch. 1 under novel. If you get a chance check it out. I'd love some feedback from a fellow fantasy fan!
    Since you plan on bringing her back make her interaction w/ your MC memorable. That doesn't mean you have to spend a few chapters on it. Give good action / dialogue to show their budding interest & we'll be left hanging wanting more of her.

10. Elgaisma

LOL my love square is between
    1) pre-mortal man (sort of immortal),
    2) Lewis Carroll
    3) a fire elemental,
    4) man who is half pre-mortal, half sparrow.

Guess the genre :) It is definitely not a romance - ticks very few romance boxes other than the main love story. I was just asking for trouble involving a fire elemental lol

Include as much love as your fantasy needs or as little.

11. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

First off "GO FANTASY" and yes it will be memorable trust me. Oh and I hope to read that chapter of yours. Is the whole novel finished or even published?

12. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

When you're starting to fall for someone, when those initial feelings begin to wake and stir, a lot of the actual experience manifests as a shift in attention. You start noticing "the little things" a person does; the way she brushes the hair out of her face or half-dances to a song playing in the background. You catch yourself staring at her as she walks away or when she's doing something and you think she won't notice. You notice their little problems and feel concern when you normally wouldn't; she might overhear him grumbling about how the coffee sucks at the place they both work and the next morning bring him in something from Starbucks.

As far as the characters' actions are concerned, a lot of this falling for each other stuff can be expressed in looks and caring gestures, the little things, pretty clearly even before you add any inner dialogue.

13. Terri

Terri New Member

I'm currently working on ch 13 of a projected 19. My characters might make me add 1 or 2 more. Depends on where they take me! :) Nothing published yet. & I say YET cuz I'm a big dreamer. *fingers crossed!*

14. nzric

nzric Active Member

Go for some connection they have, probably a mutual & unusual interest. That way they can have a friendly, in-depth chat about it for hours but no overt romatic side at the beginning.

You know the type, friends who are very close to a point where other people say "come on you two, just get a room!" but they laugh it off (at the start).

15. yorutora

yorutora New Member

Love first of all doesn't happen overnight but you could have the characters run coincidently into each other often but at first not think anything of it but then they start to think about it. I think as a reader you have to really explain what is going through that persons heart to get the reader to feel how they feel, people often take things and relate them to their own life.

16. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Well actually the way I wrote it in the story it did kind of happen overnight haha.

17. yorutora

yorutora New Member

well i guess thats ok but you have to really have perspective of the reader and what they think. So if you want it to have more feeling to it pretend that your in a relationship with someone and you have to express that love in words.

18. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

If it's "nothing really serious," it's not love. He could be very infatuated, even THINK he's in love with her, but no "true love" develops in the short term. Just because they hit off doesn't mean it's love. I've never been in love, i just know the feeling of attraction and hollywood-ized love. If you look at Romeo and Juliet realistically, it's about melodramatic, hormone-driven teenagers who are convinced they are in love, to the point where they kill themselves for each other after knowing each other for about half a week.

19. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Hahaha.

20. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

Stolen moments. Moments where the two would-be lovers note the attraction. Depends on the narrative style you choose. First or third person. If first, then the narrator can just say it. If third, then you may just need to have the moments where characters notice each other 'in that way'.

It doesn't need to be a lot to suggest the attraction etc.