1. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

ManOrAstroMan's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by ManOrAstroMan, Oct 28, 2015.

Well, I figured I might as well start one of these and share how my writing journey is going. And, if anyone has any answers to questions posed here, I'd be happy to hear them!

Okay. So, for starters, I think I'll do a bit of rambling about NaNoWriMo. I've only ever really participated for real twice. The first time was back in college, when I started writing a fantasy adventure, which was HEAVILY inspired by my favorite video games and anime at the time. I ended up only getting about 26K, if I remember correctly, as I got pretty bogged down by worldbuilding, and, of course, college classes.
    My second attempt was last year, and I actually got about 46K, which I thought was pretty darn good, considering I work in retail, and November is probably the busiest month in the business. Physical exhaustion, psychological exhaustion, and I was still pretty close. I remember thinking I could knock out 4k words on November 30, but I got about 300 before my brain just said, "fuggit. not happnin, brah."
    Then, this past April (?), I did Camp NaNoWriMo, thinking, "Okay, this is not a stress month, like November, I got this one in the bank!"
    Well, I did about 30k. Worse than I did in November. Now, I can possibly attribute this to the fact that though the store wasn't as busy as it was in November, my schedule had changed to me working six days a week, with LOTS of clopening shifts. (If you don't know what that word means, ask anyone who works in retail.) So, sleep was one of those things which happens to other people. I've moooooostly acclimated to this now, and I do have the whole first week off in November (yuss!) so I may do better this year.
    As for what I'm writing: Last year, I took a hefty swing at the first novel in my supernatural detective series, and am still working on it. Surprisingly, with 46k words, I only got maybe halfway through the story. Granted, a LOT of those words ended up being axed, and I've been doing a lot of rewrites on it, but, there you go. When I did Camp NaNo in April (pretty sure), I took a stab at the second novel, so I could do the whole "starting from scratch" thing. Granted, I'll probably have to rework a lot of the things I wrote in Book 2, based on my rewrites in Book 1, but at least I laid plenty of groundwork.
    And, this year, I am, SURPRISE, going after Book 3. I've got the basic outline set up, and I *think* I can expand on that well enough. I do have a pretty good idea of how I want the story to go. Right now, the only thing I'm really working on is the nature of the villain. I'm basing this series on faerie mythology, and I'm trying to figure out which sort of faerie race my villain belongs to. It has to fit, but it also has to be not too on the nose. There needs to be a sort of surprise about this villain (it's a mystery, right?), but then, once you find out who and what the villain is, it makes perfect sense. I'm a liiiiittle hesitant to actually post a question here about it, because I don't want to be too spoilery, especially considering my ultimate goal here is actual publication. If I can formulate a properly general question, I'll post thatuntilthen. , I'll just muddle along with my books and Google.
    I'm also looking for some good *free* stock to slap together a cover for these books, to post on my Nano page. If I were going to do these for realsies, I would be happy to pay for a cover, but since it's just for something to put next to the novel entry on Nano, I'm going the free route.
    That's really all I have right now, probably will post something else later.
    Kaybye!

2. Stephen Gazzard

Stephen Gazzard Member

Good luck with NaNo! I'm doing it this year too, although not going the new book route - just trying to add 50K to my existing WIP.

3. ManOrAstroMan

Good luck to you, too!
    I considered doing that, but I wanted to try and do it "for real".

4. ManOrAstroMan

Here's something: I've realized how woefully ignorant I am of cars. I knew I didn't know much about them, but in writing a character who is obsessed with his car, I've basically had to type <<INSERT TECHNICAL INFORMATION HERE>>.
    I've tried googling info, but I don't really even know what to search for. I've tentatively given him a Camaro, because that *sounds* like the sort of car this guy would have, but I don't know which year or model or anything, and especially nothing regarding what's under the hood. Now, I know, it's not that important to the story, and it's really just for a throwaway line of dialogue (he's trying to flirt with a technomancer character who is in love at first sight with the car). But I want to make sure it's accurate information.
    If there are any motor heads reading this, feel free to chime in.