1. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Novel Many ideas

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by colorthemap, Jul 15, 2011.

So currently I have many novel ideas that, over the years, I plan to complete.

My overall favorite I truly care about. But it will most certainly be one of the last I get published because I care so much. I don't know if I have the talent, yet, to complete it do its abilities.

Has this happened to anyone or do most of you simply write and work for the idea you like the most.

2. whitefairy24601

whitefairy24601 New Member

I suppose I write whatever I want to, but that comes naturally after toughing it through Nanowrimo. The story you love the most is the one you will most enjoy writing so why not write it?
    If you later decide than that your story needs fixing then fix it.
    And, unsure of your talent? Psh! If you write, and care about it you have talent, not to mention if the passion is true it will rapidly improve. 'Nuff said there.
    I wish you the best of luck and would love to read some of your stuff!

3. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

well gee, and it is not that I don't write it: I AM!

I just don't want it to be my first novel published, I have better plans than that.

4. whitefairy24601

whitefairy24601 New Member

Ah,well in that case: Do what your author instinct tells you to!!!

5. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

When I was younger it's like ideas swam endlessly though my head, everything with a spin can be a great story.

But plucking those ideas and seperating them out, and even using multiple ideas and morphing them together, is just part of becoming a better writer.

And the previous comment got it spot on. Who cares if you don't feel like Poe just yet. When you care about something you will reread it and care about the way it portrays your story. Leave it for a few months and come back, most of the time you will end up writing your favorite ideas down in many different ways.

Happy writing!

6. Bon

Bon New Member

I write a lot of material that I know will not be used immediately. I have encountered a similar situation, where I created a concept and realized it would be better to leave that story for awhile until I gained enough experience to be capable of doing the concept justice. Although, I think you're definitely in good standing as a writer if the problem that you encounter is deciding between which story to begin writing first.

7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Well I used to write 'only for me'. Mainly song lyrics, poems, some short stories.

When it comes to writing novels, I need to be passionate about the subject.

Maybe it's my political side coming out, but that's the kind of writing I feel most comfortable with. I like to combine what can be 'serious' subject matters sometimes with a good dose of humour, lest it be said 'oh this is dry and boring'. ;)

I would actually start writing the story you are most passionate about.
    But that's just my two cents. :)

8. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Thank you all for posting the kind words.

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I'm the opposite; I have a story that I'm really attached to, and I'm making it the first story I'll try and get published. I figure if I cannot get that one published that I really care about and try and make as perfect as possible what chances will those other ideas ever have? besides I think it sets the tone perfectly for the kind of stories I want to write, and if it will succeed I'll know there's an audience for that kind of novels.