1. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Marco's Writing Exercises - Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Marco Thornwell, Oct 24, 2015.

So I am new here. I've written in the New Member's area with a rather long winded intro. In it I listed three incidents that have most influenced me to wanting to write a body of work, so to speak. That brings me to this post. The three incidents are part of a writing course contained within a book I have been reading through. I am going to continue the exercises here, and post them publicly as a way of motivation, accountability, expression and general sharing.

The Three Incidents was the fourth exercise, the first was to; write why I want to write a novel. My blurb is a bit vomit inducing, but this is what I wrote:

2. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

2nd Exercise

Write down three of your favourite authors: (I'd probably now swap out Reilly for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle).

3. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Third Exercise

In this exercise, one is suppose to rate themselves against four of what the author considers essentials to writing a novel. The scale is 1-5, five being better.

4. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Fifth Exercise: Thinking like a craftsperson

First step is to sit in a chair, and just write about the basics. How does it feel? Is it comfortable? Is it cold, warm, soft, or hard? What might you use it for? Reading? Dinner? Study? Provocative dancing?

Second step is to imagine you are a craftsman, and that you have been crafting chairs your whole life. With this in mind, I examine the chair.

5. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Sixth Exercise - Craft Questions

Selected book: The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey

6. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

First Note - Reading in your genre

Well when I first started doing these exercises, the setting of the book I wanted write and still do, was and is Medieval. So whilst I was at an Airport in New Zealand I bought the book Defiant unto Death by David Gilman. At the time I didn’t realise that this was actually the sequel book, however it is still readable as a standalone. At the moment (Oct 2015) I’m reading through a series called The Mysteries of the People; or History of a Proletarian Family Across the Ages.

Second Note - Reading outside your genre

I guess The Republic by Plato, or the Sherlock Holmes collections, or The Lone Samurai series, or Sugar a Global History all count. My genre weaknesses are definitely comedy, romance, and thriller.

Third Note - Read poetry

7. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Seventh Exercise - Four Different Books

First book - A fiction book in the same genre of the story I want to write:
    Second book - A nonfiction book on a totally different subject:
    Third book - A fiction book in a genre I would never normally read:
    Fourth book - A book of poetry:

8. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Almost finished with A Year in Provence... Seems like a chore reading it, but luckily its not a bad read :).

9. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Yay, finished! Not bad read, but as soon as I made it a task to do, it made it trying to read. Ordered in months from January to December, ending with Christmas. Had spontaneous splotches of humour, and interesting conflict. I recommend it to any traveller, especially travellers of France.

Now for some poetry.

10. Marco Thornwell

Marco Thornwell Member

Well its been awhile thought I would check in. I've just started school again and travelling the world, so I've been a little preoccupied as of late. I think the next time I will have some free time may be around the 12th to 5th of February. So I will hopefully have something to update then.

Until then, Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all you writers out there (Or in here... depending on how you perceive).