1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

Marketing statement

Discussion in 'Query & Cover Letter Critique' started by doggiedude, Apr 10, 2016.

I just started taking a serious look at what agents look for in a query letter submission. Some of them are asking for some type of marketing statement. While I can understand why I should include something about the genre my WIP is in it seems to me that who the book would appeal to would be an agent's job. How am I supposed to know all the details of book marketing?

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I would keep it VERY brief. (Actually, I'd probably avoid these agents, but if I decided to query them)...

"I think this book would be effectively marketed to book clubs and other women's fiction venues. I have promotional material and book club questions available on request"

or

"This book will appeal to hard scifi readers and I am already a member of several online communities where these readers gather"

or whatever.

I don't think it's realistic for you to have a full marketing plan - that's the publisher's job, and if this agent is trying to sell your book to publishers who don't have a marketing department, you almost certainly want another agent.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Contributor

:S I also don't think I'd bother. I'd probably have sent a query without mentioning the marketing, but Bay's advice is better.