1. marshipan

marshipan Member

Marshipan's Writing Progress

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by marshipan, Aug 22, 2014.

In the process of writing my first novel! :meh: :agreed:
    *The original idea I began to write has now joined forces with another story I was working on a few months ago. They both had what the other lacked and I began subconsciously joining them before consciously making the two into one. Here's the story I'm making now:

Title: Diary
    Genre: Psychological Supernatural Thriller​
    Premise: Sage is an ice cream maker in her early-twenties who's recently moved into a house where an insane and energetic old man--who often disturbs her peace of mind--is also renting a room. Her deep fear of exposure is brought to the forefront after a nightmare in which her father finds and reads her diary. Sage tries to ignore her paranoia and fear but eventually sets out to collect and destroy everything private she has written. In the course of her culminating concern, she has several peculiar encounters that quickly turn sexual, with a charming man she surmises to be another boarder of the house. As the days go by, reality seems to skew and her sanity is deteriorating until there is nothing left but the need to destroy her secrets by burning the diaries she put them in.
    :-D:-D:confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled:
    10,585 words out of 70,000

Original story I began this thread with:
    Title: Carrot
    Genre: Coming of Age
    Premise: Follows a girl in her early twenties over the course of several months, to a year. It starts after college, while she is living at home and working as an ice cream maker. Story sees changes in work, location, and--undoubtedly--psychology. Highly autobiographically influenced, but fiction nonetheless!
    Excerpt (rough):
    Smoke and panic--I'm trying to push both out. Fingernails screaming into palms I feel no relation to. Lick, lick, lick a dissolving caffeine strip and try to think but only get flash mashed bits of scrambled info in hits. Like rugrats. I'm a rugrat. Like big, plump, block colored rugrat. My arm is a cartoon and the rest must follow suit. Goofy, and gummy, and motivated to whining. This goddamn drug isn't weed.

The room lightens--dim to brightened, and every piece of dust is slowly floating towards the carpet. I lay back on the coach and sink in. Time is stopped--rippled space-time trailing behind my arm. I've got a feeling like a question, trying to create some thought. It's like I'm wondering the name of each rugrat, but all I manage is C. Then a word comes, a whole word: 'carrot', sitting stagnant in my mind, in the middle of blackness. Say it, say it, say it! I need to say it--it's the only word I have. I'm trying so hard--maniacally willing, urging myself. I push the word up from my gut and it presses thick into my closed lips. They break open.

“CARROT!” Sounds like panic, and joy, and laughter bubbling out, with me looking like a stroke victim, one eye shut and half my mouth smiling.

What?” she asks on the couch behind me. I turn and see a dopey weed smile looking back.

I tell her: ”carrot.”

Also have a second work in progress that I work on here and there:

Title: Cromwell's Devil
    Genre: Comedy​
    Premise: Twenty-six year-old ex-BurgerHut employee Crommie—as we affectionately call our first main character—is a delusional fuck-up living in—and subsequently destroying—his father's office building. In between the meows he's compelled to bellow out and feeding his paranoia, he finds joy in pretending to be the spokesperson of his generation and exchanging emails with internet friend Tricksy.

Tricksy is an attractive, exceptionally charming, and intelligent twenty-two year-old woman who is probably a mostly harmless sociopath. She is almost always taking the piss, much to the annoyance of those around her. She also happens to unknowingly be the reincarnation of Satan. Tricksy's least tedious activity is exchanging emails with Cromwell von Hornỳ.

Shockingly, but unsurprisingly, Crommie burns the office building down while enjoying a fine smoke of hookah and decides to flee the rage of his father. Crommie gleefully imposes on Tricksy, who is inspired by his often inappropriate excitement for life. The two set off on an adventure that starts with Tricksy's failed attempt at being a cult leader and ends with them floating stranded in the ocean after Crommie accidentally burns down his father's boat they stole while fleeing an angry mob.

:-D:confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled::confuzled:
    6,337 words out of 70,000

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

Interesting; I haven't seen long scenes like that it a while. It's a nice change from each scene being called a chapter.

3. marshipan

marshipan Member

*Written before I changed (combined) stories.*

@Okon just going with what's natural at the moment. The first part I'm fairly certain will stay that way, though the second and third parts could change format.

Which brings me to what I've made clear to myself. The writing style of the first part--as a reflection of the character's state--will be fluid with nonlinear presentation of events. For example, I have the main character sitting on a couch hungover, recalling the night before and the present day up to the point shes at. The MC then leaves the couch to go to a friend's. Then the MC is waking up still drunk the next morning, and works through what happened the night before while going about the present day. I'll have to work for the enjoyable balance between present and recall.

The first part of the novel will only be a few days strung together, punctuated by heavy alcohol and drug use. Likely a culminating feeling of need for the MC until she is presented a new opportunity. Then the story moves into the second part. The difficult part for me, with this heavy style, will be successfully making it easy to understand. I want there to be a sense of being lost, but I don't want the reader actually lost--haha.

The second part will be more disjointed. A piece of a day here, a piece of a day a week later, etc. Part two will be the longest stretch of time in the story. The MC is in a daily rut of get up, go to work, sit around till sleep. A few pinches dissociation, discontent, aimlessness. Another buildup of feeling need methinks. The idea for the second part will develop more later.

Still in the dark about where I want to go for part three. The plan as of now, was to have the MC move a ways away with none of the other introduced characters following. Part three would take place completely in the new setting. I think it might be too disconnected from the rest of the story. I need to think about it more--figure out if it can work, or if the big distant move needs complete overhaul. Unclear what direction I'm going in for part three in regards to character development. Overall, lots of meditating still necessary for three.

At 2824, want to reach 5k before bed.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. marshipan

marshipan Member

*Written before I combined stories*

Didn't write Friday--when I had hoped to reach my first 5k. Instead I fleshed out the plot for all of part one and didn't do any more work until today. I find writing scenes, just to get them down, a necessary step... but a mild torture . My writing is no good until I give a lot of time and work to the language. I find it really satisfying to rewrite and edit my words, compared to the soul sucking task of fucking the keyboard with a grimace, until a few paragraphs have been created.

Anyways! Been thinking about making some changes to my setting. Specifically, setting it in a post apocalyptic world. As of now, I think the story is missing something. The background of a post apocalyptic world could elevate how interesting the story is, even though I wouldn't make many changes to the story. The idea interests me, and I think it will give the character more depth. Going to keep thinking on it.

At a little over 4k. I will be writing another soul sucking thousand before bed and updating that smilie progress bar!! :mad:

5. marshipan

marshipan Member

*Written before I combined stories*

Today's goal...6,019 words, or a thousand more words.

Still thinking about changing to a post apocalyptic setting. My character has trouble with family, simply because they're a strong presence in her life. Being a rather removed individual, their presence is a heavy weight that bothers her. At first I thought this would conflict with the small population/emptiness of a post apocalyptic setting. However, I now think it could help her characterization. In a post apocalyptic world it might be expected that a person would crave and appreciate all the companionship they're offered. The juxtaposition of a more empty world and her claustrophobic feelings about people might make the family conflict (and the character) more interesting and punctuated. Needs more ruminating.

6. marshipan

marshipan Member

*Written right before combining stories/Decision to combine stories*

I'm getting befuddled. I've been thinking about another story I started writing a few months ago--The Diary. It's a supernatural thriller about a girl who feels compelled to write her personal thoughts in diaries. She begins to have nightmares of people finding and reading them. It's traumatic to her. As the story continues she's keeps trying to collect and destroy everything she has written down but reality is becoming confusing and her sanity begins to deteriorate. Throughout the story she is pestered by an insane old man and has a few peculiar affairs with what turns out to be the devil. It's a little more complex, but that's a fair gist.

The tone of The Diary is leaking into Carrot today, and I'm mentally blurring the lines between the main characters of each. I'm wondering if I should combine the stories. Carrot lacks fullness as is. The Diary has aim, but lacks depth with the main character, and story details. Carrot lacks aim, and is mostly just a well developed main character with details of their life. I like this idea of combining them. I think it could give me a novel that is pleasantly "full", with developed ideas in all aspects of the novel.

I'm going to take some time to realize the stories as one before making up my mind completely.

7. marshipan

marshipan Member

The stories are combined now...and haven't written since deciding that. Outlined a little yesterday, plan to outline more today. Should be back to writing tomorrow.

Since I want to write every day, I've been adding to a novel I planned six months back. This ones a comedy with the working title Cromwell's Devil. Whether I decide to work on both simultaneously depends on the impact it has on the stories. Might add the info for Cromwell's Devil to this thread. Likely will, but right now I feel like murdering the period button on the keyboard. I feverishly ripped it off not a moment ago, and slammed it back on after finding no cause for it's new horrible nature.

8. marshipan

marshipan Member

Oh christ. Didn't write for two days and now I have to slam my head against three inches of wood every hour in attempts to force myself to write. That slippery slope business is bullshit. There's one side step off the cliff, and then denial. "Falling? Hah, no this is just some fun game I play with myself. Like masturbation..... Alright, alright. Guess I better climb back up this cliff face then. :dead:"

Goal is 1,00o words. I don't know for what story, or both. Or if it's while I'm locked in a cell writing with shit I've scooped out of my ass. A thousand words, a thousand words, a thousand words (can i please count this post? :cry:).

9. marshipan

marshipan Member

Okay, I broke down and wrote again after a week of no writing. Ugh. Started with the questioning of why I'm writing at all, but in the end decided it doesn't matter. Writing a novel is a goal I've had for a while and I need to finish it. Anyway, it's likely that questioning everything is just a tactic to excuse not doing the work.

Have reached first 5k for Cromwell's Devil! Sweet! 5, 314 count now. I'll probably be working on this novel primarily instead of the other...for a while at least. It's easier to write and I need as easy and fun as I can get in order to finish writing my first novel. I'm hoping to start averaging 1,000 words a day. It's pretty easy for me to throw out 500, so I'm thinking of going at it by writing 500 earlier in the day and then writing another 500 later.

10. marshipan

marshipan Member

My soul was sucked by the slobbering lips of...family. They have information desire--they wish to feed like thieving vampires at my vein! Their ignorance of this stench--that chokes me and burns my eyes into near blindness of all but their questioning eyes--makes it all the more troubling. Their face shows it all, how they think I'm cruel for being a private person, how they assume the worst...and I'm pawing at my shirt begging for reprieve! They can never understand their own cruelty in this game, nor do I ever expect them too (since I'm apparently a schizopath). No writing done. :oops:

Not sure I'll fit writing in for a little. After an entirely NONnefarious play by me, I was receiving a nice pay for doing fuckall for some time. However, Fortuna decided to start it's downward spin in regards to that a little earlier than I was planning for (though not entirely unexpected). So, now you might catch me dredging your local pond, feverishly dirtying my snout as I shamelessly consume what's pulled from the bottom. :twisted:

In other news, I feel fully committed to Crommie's Devil....which I have renamed Carrot's Devil because it's become clear I need a main character named Carrot. Diary is holding a light simmer on that back burner.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  11. marshipan

marshipan Member

Oh my god, well I feel as if it's absolutely dire I have something to work on. Going off the hinges. I'm that swinging door that cries as it opens and then hits the floor for the finale. Also, things are quieter on the money front. Smooth sailing with steady progress. Let's keep our eyes peeled for storms though.

Therefore I need to get back to writing. However, I'm so absolutely in a messy mind frame for some time I'd rather have a project that would thrive under such circumstances, instead of be harmed by it. So...I'm thinking up some idea about some wildly hormonal female main character. Undoubtedly something ridiculous and perhaps completely hated by me after all this mess is over. Hmm, how about some ass kicking young female heroine in a supernatural world who's ridiculously pregnant. HAHA! Bitching about sore breasts and knocking teeth in. Probably also a mystery, her being the quasi-detective lead. This sounds corny. Kill me now.

12. marshipan

marshipan Member

Okay, going to retry for 50,000 words this month. Going to be writing for Cromwell's Devil, which I wrote another thousand for in the last two days (in November). So 6,337 to 56,337 by January! :confuzled:

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I love your progress journal entries. Your novel sounds very promising.

14. marshipan

marshipan Member

thank you very much! :-D