1. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Maybe a section for students writing papers?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by IndianaJoan, Oct 12, 2006.

I think a lot of students college/high school age are looking for help and suggestions with their writing..do you guys think it might be reasonable to add a section for help with this kind of stuff or would that be redundant?

I love to help out with this kind of writing..I think it might be a nice resource for drawing some other writers in as well.

2. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Technical/Essay writing? Hmm, most writer's forums of this type tend to shy away from that as there are other forums dedicated specifically to that sort of work.

3. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Well, it would help highschoolers but that would be pointless though it would also help University students. I think the forums have enough forums though, still a subforum would be cool, seeing as im a high school student.

4. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I believe strongly in encouraging young people that love to write to do just that.

I started writing young but the amount of resources were limited for me at that time.

Our school libraries didnt have access to google and computers *GASP* were rare. Ya..im old.

I love to see younger people write and there are lots of opportunities for them to express themselves in the classes they are required to take.

I was just thinking that a place for them to discuss different forms of writing that was exclusive might be kinda cool..I guess I also didnt know there were other forums out there for educational writing.

I had to write tons of different essays in English 101..compare/contrast, descriptive essays etc.

I also LOVE to read and help younger people develop their writing. Im not a brilliant writer but I have learned a lot over the years that I wish I had learned younger..

Its nice to have forums like these where they can sponge of the knowledge of some of us slower folks!

5. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

The main problem is that the requirements for essay/technical writing differ greatly from creative writing. Many of the members here who have knowledge of story/plot construction, characterisation, creative use of prose, simile/metaphor will find that their skills are inapplicable to that format. This is, after all a creative writing forum.

It's a completely different subject, and one not usually within the scope of a creative writing forum of this type. I've never seen one that has attempted to cover it.

I would hope that most establishments of further/higher education have their own teaching resources for enquiries of this type, maybe you should ask there.

Also, as I stated earlier, their are many online resources to research.

6. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Im not saying I dont agree with you, but I was thinking more along the lines of "creative" writing projects..i dont know a thing about technical writing and that wasnt what I really meant.
    Sometimes I just dont say things the way I mean them ..lord..you would never know I wrote in my spare time LOL

7. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Ah, you mean a section to help students with creative writing study projects?

8. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Well, we can help with "SPAG" on all writing assignments. Have someone post their assignment on the net and people help them edit it etc.

I think its a great idea, but where to put it without making any clutter?

9. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Well there is a spelling and grammar section. I don't see why that's not used.

10. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I think that the SPAG (spelling, punctuation and grammer) section is best for actual help. But for a techincal type writing, I don't think there's much of a demand at this time. I could be wrong though.