1. architectus

architectus Banned

Maybe horror fans can help me find something

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by architectus, Sep 26, 2008.

I am looking for books where the main focus is demons, evil ghost, evil spirits, Ouija, séances. I have been searching for a while and they are hard to find.

I am looking for stuff like the Witchboard, but that was a movie. Or like the movie The Craft.

Thanks for the help. I really want to find one where the Ouija Board plays a big role.

Register to remove this ad

2. iknowimsoslow

iknowimsoslow New Member

If you go to your local library website they should have a search that includes all the libraries in your district. There should be a 'subject' search and you can put in any subject you want and it will show you all the books in your district that are about it. I use mine all the time when I'm doing research. I searched my district for Ouija boards and couldn't find any, but I did find a ton of books about seances.

Hope that helps!
  3. architectus

architectus Banned

Yeah I already did a search, but not much came up.
  4. Kaij

Kaij New Member

Architectus: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill features an evil spirit and an Ouija Board. I recommend it. It's very creepy in an awesome way.
  5. marina

marina New Member Contributor

I think there was a ouija board in The Stand...which, if I'm correct, is an interesting coincidence since Joe Hill is Joe Hill King.
  6. *Sticks*

*Sticks* New Member

Have you tried James Herbert? Lots of spirits and demons and all that, fantastic author imho :)
  7. Helmut_II

Helmut_II New Member

That Clive Barker novel that the film "Hellraiser" was based off of kinda fits those criteria.

But I gotta say, it's not very often that novels with that subject matter isn't incredibly campy.

Not to mention all that Christian preachy nonsense.

In a quick little search, I came upon the name "Stewart Farrar". According to Wikipedia, he

H.P. Lovecraft is a good standby. I couldn't find anything else in a few minutes that were up to my standards, but I'm sure with a little digging, you could add to the list.
  8. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Staff Member

Is there an Ouija board in Heart-Shaped Box? I read the book but I don't recall. If it was there it wasn't a huge role, was it? I could be mistaken. Nevertheless, it was a decent read.
  9. architectus

architectus Banned

Daniel I will let you know. I will be reading Heart-Shaped Box in the next few days.
  10. architectus

architectus Banned

Heart-Shaped Box was okay.

A small scene had the Ouija Board in it.

I was looking for something that has the feel that the movie The Craft has.
  11. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

Definitely check out The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones. It's told from the point of view of a ghost, which, if true and accurate, explains a lot of the common 'haunting' story staples :p (the letters on the board were difficult to aim for, so the ghost Selina in trying to spell her name came out with "Semolina.") And it's very Craft-y, in the sense of four sisters dabbling in something and getting in way over their heads.

Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman, while it doesn't show use of a ouija board, begins with a portrayal of a secret order of ceremonial magicians who deal with demons.

The movie Now and Then had a a ghost-hunting subplot, if I recall correctly, but I can't remember if they conducted a seance with a ouija board or if it wasn't another movie where they went to a tarot card reader. It's not an occult drama, though.
  12. architectus

architectus Banned

Palim, thank you. I will check into these.
  13. Hetroclite

Hetroclite New Member

I guess many writers find the use of the ouiji board trite & unexciting. To most people, the ouiji board is just a toy; something for teenagers to play around with. Most divinations I read of, in sci-fi/fantasy/horror stories, are written prophecies & "the gift"; something a person is born with. But so far, I can't recall one story I've read in which the ouiji board was used or even mentioned. And I've read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/horror fiction over the decades. Try anthologies on witches & wizards.