Tags:
  1. hughesj

hughesj New Member

Name Ideas

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by hughesj, Aug 18, 2013.

Hey guys,

I am just starting to write a dystopian type novel but I am completely stuck for a name. It needs to be male, probably a fake name given to seem tough but also to hide identity. I've scrolled through hundreds of names but nothing works

2. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Regulus sprung to mind. Probably because of the dystopian theme.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't sweat it. Use a placeholder name until you come up with one you like.

If coming up with a character name is the toughest decision you encounter in writing your story, count your blessings.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I used an A, B, C system until I picked names. There are hundreds of name list sites on the Web from picking baby names to names of gods. I also found some scientific terminology dictionaries useful like the Biology terminology lists on Wiki.

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Ditto what Cogito said. Just start writing use a temporary name or nickname for a while something simple like The
    Guy or John. Sometimes the best way to find a name is let it come to you - don't force it. An event could
    happen in the story or someone could say something and you'll be like that's it - that's the name. Margaret
    Mitchell wrote Gone with the Wind without having the name Scarlett O'Hara, that came afterwards. Scarlett's original
    name was Pansy.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Just make sure you choose a name for which you can do an easy global replace.

7. TLK

TLK Active Member

This. A gazillion times this.

In one of my novels, there's this secretive woman who was known only as "Ice". I wrote 50,000 words of that novel until I decided that, actually, "Ice" wasn't a great name and I changed it to "Ghost". I went on 'Find and Replace' on Word and, feeling rather pleased with myself, told Word to replace "Ice" with "Ghost". When it got to the first editing/spellcheck of the novel, I wondered why I had characters giving "AdvGhost" to people, or why I had people working in "rGhost plantations".

Took bloody ages to get rid of all that...

8. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Fake names are usually something symbolic or meaningful to the character that wields them, derived from their goals, motivations, and self-perception. My antagonist, a member of an English resistance movement, uses the nom de guerre 'Hereward' after Hereward the Wake, for example. Other ones suitable for the rebel archetype in general might be Joan, Spartacus, or Wolfe.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. iolair

iolair Active Member

Fictional tough-sounding?

Gorrell Tank

It's the name of a car park in Whitstable, and since I first saw it, I always thought it would make a great character name.