1. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Mckk's Progress Journal!

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Mckk, Jan 25, 2015.

All right, so this one's my baby. It's the first novel I ever conceived and the one that took me down this journey where I came to call myself a "writer" - when I've been writing since I was a child yet never once did I think to call myself a writer. Not until I started working on this. 4 years of active writing and at least 3 full drafts, all of them scrapped, later... I went and took a half year break because I thought it was pointless to keep writing until and unless I've worked out what the hell I want to write. Esp since I got all mixed up after listening to too many people, a few of them very unhelpful people...

Aaaaand... I think I've finally figured it out. And I have so much faith in it - that this time it really will be the last time - that I'm starting a progress journal! :D I don't usually set myself a goal - my goal is simply to write everyday.

So far, I've written the first scene :p

Working title: Rebirth (originally Resurrection)
    Inspired by: Baldur's Gate 2 (story's since changed drastically but that's how it was first conceived!)
    Word count: 1520 words (lol)
    Started writing: 24th Jan 2015
    Story: For the sake of bringing back his sweetheart Arlia from death, Will unknowingly plunges the world into despair when he merged the realms of the living and the dead. Now, life no longer reincarnates and every baby ever born comes into the world already dead. Nobody, not even Will, understands why. When Arlia is finally revived, she hopes to change reality by changing the past - chiefly, to prevent her own death so Will never embarks on his search for resurrection. But can the future really ever be changed? And what if the answer to the restoration of the world lies in Will's supposedly disastrous decision?

2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributing Member Contributor

Whoa! Wheels within wheels . . .

Mckk likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

"and every baby ever born comes into the world already dead."

It sounds heavy. :)

Mckk likes this.
  4. Mckk

It's actually primarily a romance more than anything else, wrapped up in mostly fantasy and a tiny bit of time-travel :D I think it's going to be awesome! (but of course, I would think that. You'd worry if I didn't think that)

So far, I've finished writing Chapter 1 and wrote the first scene in Chapter 2. Already it's deviated from my bullet point plan of events but writing Chapter 1 has made me realise perhaps the story (the middle section) lies elsewhere from what I thought originally. I was going to show how Will finds his knowledge to merge the realms etc, and that was actually giving me a right headache because, c'mon, showing someone learning is almost always boring, or cliche, and I seriously didn't wanna drop a massive info-dump bomb, and nor did I wanna write cliche training scenes or library scenes. Now, having written Chapter 1, I've realised none of this is really necessary and the focus should probably be a flashback in time to reveal Arlia as a character and her romance with Will.

Stats as of right now, since last report -
    Word count of new words: 3420
    Total word count: 4940

So, I think it's going well!

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  5. Mckk

New words: (approx) 2469
    Total word count: 7576

Just finished Chapter 2! :D The two love interests just met and it's a cute little romance-y chapter between teenagers, and it's the second storyline in the novel when I show the past, mainly focused on Will and Arlia's blossoming relationship. Now onto Chapter 3 where I'll go back to the present, where the world's already screwed up and follow the story with Will as Shadow Walker :) before picking up the story from the past again in Chapter 4! Chapter 3 will likely be a short chapter because very little actually happens in that timeline atm.

Lea`Brooks and Megalith like this.
  6. Mckk

New words: 1826
    Total word count: 9402 (and it's only been 7 days! Not too bad I think :p )

Chapter 3 finished and the present's screwed up world established.

Lea`Brooks and Lemex like this.
  7. Mckk

All right, I've been procrastinating and basically ended up only writing maybe 1-2 hours max a day, on top of basically not writing at all for an entire day. I still feel bad... lol. In any case, Chapter 3 has been split into Chapters 3 and 5, with a flashback chapter in between (that would be Chapter 4). So Chapter 4 is finished, and parts of Chapter 3 and 5 have obviously been written because it was previously just one chapter. Currently in the process of fleshing out Chapter 3, which focuses mainly on what Will does after he realises he's screwed the world up.

I thought I haven't made much progress, but looking at my last total word count on this thread, I now feel a tiny bit better lol.

New words: 3353
    Total word count: 12,755

Well... just over 3k words within 4 days. That's not really that great... meh.

And I'm so used to pressing Ctrl + S as a reflex that I just accidentally tried to save this entire webpage... lol

Lea`Brooks and Catrin Lewis like this.