1. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Apostrophe issue with Word

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by JetBlackGT, Nov 5, 2014.

[​IMG]

I am getting this weird, straight apostrophe sometimes but not always. Why in the world is it doing that? This is going to be an editing nightmare if I can't address this.

I want the one on the right. Can't imagine why this is doing this. If I recall, this has happened off and on, since I first started using Word, in like, 1992.

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I get the same issue now and then.
    Just copy one of the bad " and use the replace all function from the bad one to the good one.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The curly one appears to be part of the Smart Quotes feature of most word processors. It makes the opening quote curl up and the closing quote curl down. Maybe try playing with the Smart Quotes area? I have nothing other to offer than to tell you that the straight (typewriter) apostrophe is the one that shows up when Smart Quotes is turned off.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I've had this intermittent problem too when syncing files between various devices. Luckily, it doesn't seem to affect Scriv on my main pc, (Win 8) only my net book, and when I sync an amended file from that back to my 'puter, the straight apostrophes right themselves again.

Hope you get it sorted. It's really frustrating.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I get this a lot when swapping from section to section, it happens with the " as well as the '

My solution: go into Find and Replace, in the find box type " and in the replace with box type " and hit the go button. You can do the same with single quotes and apostrophes. It ALWAYS changes them to the curly ones, which is what I want.

Wreybies likes this.
  6. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I think the main problem occurred with me when I changed from MS Office free version to MS Office paid for-cos-it-does-more-and-I-had-a-spare-£90-hanging-about program.

JetBlackGT and Wreybies like this.
  7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I find a lot of issues crop up with the section break function in MS Word. It's poorly strung together. I turned in just yesterday an extradition package for a Colombian national and was forced to leave a random blank page at the end because it was the product of a section break I no longer needed. Every time I tried to delete that VERY LAST SECTION, not one in the middle, but at the end, It completely hashed all the headers and footers in all the prior sections, every single one of which had been set with the "different first page" checked and with the "link to previous" turned off, unchecked. I could see this being problematic if it were a section somewhere in the middle, but at the end? Sorry, nice try Microsoft. Maybe next time you'll get it right.

JetBlackGT and cutecat22 like this.
  8. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

I tried that. It doesn't show up as a smart quote when I paste it into the field :-(