1. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

A horror story idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mans, Feb 9, 2014.

This idea came in my mind the hours ago and I decided to share it as an unprepared idea here. I try to explain it very summary and without details.

Thomson is a person that he appears wherever is an easy money and revenue. Essentially he is an adventurer person, steps in every danger to find a noticeable profit. His thought is dynamic and his Decision-making power is good. So we can know him as a brave manager in a group. One day he is studying a news paper to find something for a new job. He reads a news about a deep and unknown well in a lonely place of China. It was said in the news, That well is a weird and ominous place and nobody of Chinese not dares to go into the weird well to know what is it and what is in the bottom-hole. The native people of the area believe, there is a great treasure of gold and silver, but it is not accessible because of a fatal paranormal power in the well . The people were told, whoever has gone down into the deep- hole, he has never come out alive.
    This news sparks in the mind of Thomson and he just think about the " treasure of Gold and silver " thereafter. He doesn't believe in what native Chinese tell about the mysterious and cryptic well. He essentially doesn't believe in unlucky or supernatural things. He decides to go to China and finds that well. But he finds out he needs a group to do that. He finds some of his old friend that everybody is skillful in a field, among two archaeologist... When the group is completed they travel to China and eventually find the well. That well is a big and stony well in a lonely mountain. They speak with the Chinese authorities to permit them to enter the well and investigate about its history and quality. Eventually, they succeed to take the permission. They go back to the area and try to satisfy a few of Chinese to help them in this way. Finally two of Chinese (despite their fears) volunteer to work with them... The horror story is begun from this point...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Reminds me of a mixture of indiana jones and inuyasha

3. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

I don't see where you are going with these threads...?

4. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

Reads as far too contrived, a headline to be found in a supermarket trash sheet. I can see him hearing the story when he's passing through the area, but not as a newspaper story in the modern world.

Mans likes this.
  5. Mans

:) yes. your idea can be a better random event for this story in recent time but it is possible this story has been happened in the earlier times ( for instant 50 years ago). We can convey the readers' mind into the years of 1960 0r 1970 or even earlier.

6. Mans

The well is not a blind one. It is a vertical passage to a vast collection of undiscovered ancient caves, crypts and buildings under the stony ground ( like a town). There are some unknown horrible beings ( also the treasures of the gold and jewelries in some of the buildings ) Those horrible beings try to kill or possess the members of the group. Thus, the story continue in such as backgrounds. Also I chose China randomly but now I want to change it into Tibet because there are some restriction in China for characters

7. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

@Mans I've been saying this a lot lately, but ideas are cheap. As much as I can understand your eagerness to share it, we're not objective judges of good or bad ideas. Currently you have an idea and you probably want to know if it'll make a good novel. The only way to find out is by writing it. Even if your idea is absolutely horrible, if you're skilled enough you will still be able to craft something interesting.

Start writing. If you feel the story is working out, continue. If not, head back to the drawing board. There are plenty ideas about.

8. Mans

I mostly post my ideas to benefit of your viewpoints. I want to know, what is your sight about ideas which I create them. When you opine about one of my ideas, it is good or brilliant, I understand, I have chosen a good story and I can continue it. When some of writers opine it can be a weak or cheap story I realize, I have to give it up and don't continue.
    You told, my story was cheap. I am interested to know why you think so :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

My post "Not seeing where you are going with these threads..." was about why you make threads with no point other than to ask if your idea is good or bad. An idea can be good and bad, depending on who is writing.

So instead of making a new thread for every idea, write it. Because I assure you it's an entirely different experience than hearing a straight out idea. And if you think you can keep posting threads of every idea till you find the one that will make you rich and famous, you're soooo wrong, you might come with an idea that the community here think is crap, and become rich and famous, and you can come with an idea that is told to be brilliant by every member on here and not even get published.

Ask yourself "Is this story good or bad?" and don't just think cause you made it that it'd be good, be constructive about the idea itself, as if you saw someone else write it and ask your opinion. If you think it is good, carry on and start the actual writing process. If not you may dwell further into your own imagination, and see if you find a story that you deem worth writing. And then write write write! Don't keep making threads that really has no purpose other than "Do I look good in this dress?" if you get what I'm saying.

10. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Hang on, I never said your idea was cheap. I merely tried to point out that getting ideas for a story is cheap/easy. My whole point is that you're not helping yourself by asking us if it is a good idea or not. You said it yourself: "When you opine about one of my ideas, it is good or brilliant, I understand, I have chosen a good story and I can continue it"

So your goal here is that you want to know if others like your idea. My point is that it doesn't matter if your idea is complete shit or absolutely brilliant. Hence, you're wasting your time on letting others rate your idea whilst you could be writing. If you take this idea and start writing you'll know if it is going to work or not after a few pages.

The thing that is going to make your book sell or not is your skill as an author, not how good or bad your idea was. Bad ideas can still be turned into great works by skilled authors.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to put it simply, mans:

the best storyline/plot ever thought of will fail, if badly written...

and the worst storyline/plot ever can become a bestseller, in the hands of a great writer...

which is why it's just a waste of time to ask if your ideas are 'good' or not...

Macaberz likes this.
  12. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Mans, why not take advantage of the Flash section in the workshop? Write small pieces - 1 action scene, 1 dramatic scene. This will help you improve your writing more than writing out an idea. Because right now the focus is on the idea, not on improve your writing skills.

13. Mans

As I see the most of you writers are not agree I create a thread just for relating an idea and you recommend me thatI really start a story instead of paying to an idea. Well, I haven't anything to say against your advising :) I agree. As @Preachalulu recommended, I will try to write some small pieces of the stories in workshop, instead of expressing ideas :)