1. Megalith

Megalith Contributing Member Contributor

Megalith's Most Promising Venture

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Megalith, Jan 30, 2015.

Hello WF! I wanted to start this as soon as I saw this section but I was holding back to improve my writing skills to a certain point before I committed myself to completing a novel. I’m going to go for full 100% completion. That is the point where I would be ready to abandon my baby. Although my skills have a way to go, I hope to develop my voice as I write this novel and unrelated short stories.(to give me more opportunity to develop said voice)

The story I am writing is one I have been developing for almost seven years! When I was in high school I suddenly came up with the idea after watching a preposterous episode of this series which was a lot like Ancient Aliens.(just as ridiculous) To entertain the idea I decided to consider what could possibly constitute such a farfetched notion. I pondered the idea of aliens actually producing and guiding humans from the shadows. And as I thought more and more about it, I figured out how they could still be doing the same from the shadows, and figured out why they were doing it. Of course, ‘humans’ being the byproduct of aliens’ is an idea which has been included in many sci-fi books, movies, shows, and games. However it has always seemed to me, to be more of an afterthought, not particular to the main story. It’s more of a plot driving excuse.(To explain humanoids in Star Trek for example) And the ones responsible never seem to be around anymore.

So I planned to include the whole story in a single novel, but as I started getting into the finer details I realized that I had conceived a monster of a story, an epic of sorts. And that I could not do it in one book, or possibly even two.

Name of series: Ex-Human
    Current word count: About 100K
    Plot: Fifty years from now, Earth’s economic situation continued to decline while the population rose. A dying economy and resource roadblocks prevent the creation of material properties required to create better technology: like smaller, more efficient computers, or lighter, faster planes. In this estranged society of perpetually self-defeating ideals, a few of its members have exceeded all expectations and have managed to thrive in this never-ending struggle of everyday life. One day a world-wide incident sets into motion the events which bring these five people together. Now they must figure out the cause of the catastrophic event, and as they do, unravel the mystery behind the true nature of Humanity’s existence.
    Goal: Finish by the end of the year!!!!

I’m working on chapter 12 at the moment. It is the second chapter of the second arc of the story which takes place on 4 distinct “Mother Ships.” The passengers are from Earth. They are being transported to an unknown location for unknown reasons in a fully automated ship seemingly created just for them.

I plan on finishing a short story before I continue on to Chapter 12. But I plan on wrapping up chatpter twelve by the middle of next month.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Megalith

I am trying to wrap up the plot to a story I’ve been working on for a few months. It’s a short story and I thought I would be able plot this all out by now but I’m stuck on some parts in the middle. I’m planing on revising parts of the story and rewriting it again by this weekend.

Name: Do You Believe in Ghosts?
    Genre: Psychological Drama Mystery
    Themes: Relationships. Forgiveness. Acceptance. Sacrifice. Love/Values and its relation to Truth.
    Premise: A young man, Garret Ford, finds a mysterious and simple golden band the day before his wedding. The strange coincidence begins to distort Garret’s concept of reality as more coincidences begin to pile up. This overwhelms Garret until he can no longer ignore them. He obsesses over finding the truth, to prove to himself that all he's thought and all that has transpired was more than coincidence. Without it, he doesn't believe he can accept it as anything more than coincidence.
    Inspiration: This idea spawned from my experiences and my will to express the idea that value and truth aren't as intimate as we'd like to believe, no matter how careful we want to be about it. Garret is a rational person who thinks very logically. To him the idea of ghost or spirits are nonsensical. Still, strange things can happen which bring to question even these ideas we have totally abandoned.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  3. Megalith

I guess it's probably about time I walked the plank and shamefully admit to my lack of progress in my writing. I've been on Hiatus for a better part of a year. And although that may not be the most accurate description for an aspiring writer, it certainly feels like it. I've ducked responsibilities before, but rarely ones that I enjoyed. This was a serious strike to my ego, and it was a mix of depression and anxiety which caused it. I'm progressing through my mental problems and finally getting back to the task at hand. And luckily, somehow, it hasn't all been wasted. My writing style has become much more comprehensive than before. Although my word choices are still somewhat questionable, I've noticed a marked improvement in my vocabulary use and grammar.

This becomes painfully obvious as I review old posts. I never technically stopped writing. Even if it wasn't about my stories I was writing something. Another thing, I have been reading more as well. I've stepped away form strangely written classics like, "Hundred Years of Solitude" and have pursued more mainstream pieces of literature instead. I could probably still read more often, but something is something. And I think that overall, if nothing more, I have become a better writer. But I guess when the alternative can really only be stagnation or declination, I guess that isn't really worth bragging about.

Part of the reason I stopped writing was because it felt unnecessary. My reasoning was, "My stories don't have to exist in the form of a novel. I still have plenty of mediums of expression which I could use just as well, and are much more experienced in." But in the end it still a medium which I can not ignore. Even if it is my weakest medium, I must still find it within myself to overcome that weakness, so that my story can exist in this medium as well. Maybe I'm trying to give my stories the biggest chance for success by translating them into as many mediums as possible. Or maybe I'm trying to reach as many people as possible, I'm not sure myself. Honestly I think it's neither. I think I'm using both reasons as an excuse to continue to improve my writing, because giving up leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Either way, I've decided to not abandon books as a medium for my stories.

Enough self reflection, lets get to some details and figures about what you should hopefully expect from me, moving forward. I have two novels in the works:

Title: Ex-human
    Word count as of today: 134k
    Genres: Sci-fi Fantasy, adventure, psychological mystery

I'm currently working on chapter 16 and I'm getting close to the end of the 2nd arc, in which the setting takes place entirely inside spaceships amidst an intergalactic journey. I'm thinking this might be a good place to bring a conclusion to my novel. So another arc, a little shorter than the first two, will be my dramatic conclusion to this first novel. It will probably leave my word count at around 200k. I'm hoping I can chop at least 30-40k words with editing so I have a 22 chapter novel with about 150-160k words as my target. I have outlines ready for the next book in this series, but I've decided I shouldn't really start writing it until I have this one totally worked out. I'm trying to make sure this first novel has a good, satisfying enough conclusion that doesn't feel like it leaves too many questions unanswered. It's definitely not where I first planned to end my novel, but it's getting pretty long by this point and If I try and work in anything else I can end up increasing it's size by another third. Unfortunately that won't improve my problem with the ending either, so I've settled on this for an ending and I'm going to find a way to make it work. I'm still working on the outline of the ending, but I hope I've made the big reveal and climax good enough.

An alternative option would be to somehow cut the intergalactic journey, half of the book I have now, which I think would be rushing the story a bit, and condense the two novels I have planned into one really long story that ends up over 250k words. I'm not sure how I feel about my first novel being so long. I believe this is part of the problem of designing a story that is going to be in many mediums at the end.

Ribid's Mystical Misadventures(working title):
    Word count as of today: 80k
    Genre: Fantasy, adventure, psychological mystery

I'm only on chapter 7 of this one and I had a lot of trouble with the start of this story. It required tons of world building which took a lot of effort. It was fun, but man was it tedious trying to fit it all into a single story. I'm still working on much of the outline and I'm not sure what chapters I'm going to keep in the end. This story's complexity might rival my first, which surprises me. It seems my methodical style of writing can consistently create complex plots with lots of motivations, conflicts, twists, and turns. lets see if that translates into good writing, eventually. *crosses his fingers*

I'll be posting an update in about a month. That should give me enough time to make some progress. I wish I could be specific on the amount I'll write, but if I can get 10,000 words in one of the two novels, I'll be happy. In the meantime feel free to discuss/criticize my failures, methods, and approach to writing as I've displayed here. Any comments are much appreciated, no matter how harsh you think they are. Thanks for reading! Even if you don't comment, you can assume your interest has motivated me into further improving my writing and what I accomplish with it, somehow. That's how this works right? ... I'll just keep track of the thread views and wishfully believe they aren't bots... It fills me with determination.