Tags:
  1. Dark Party

Dark Party New Member

Robert B. Parker

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Dark Party, Oct 24, 2007.

Today marks the 35th Spenser novel published by Robert B. Parker -- "Now & Then." I've been a huge fan of Spenser novels. Parker basically saved the private eye novel in the 1980s and deserves huge credit for that. But he's moved on to two other protagonists -- Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone.

In a recent interview with the Boston Sunday Globe Magazine, Parker was asked if he ever thought about killing Spenser. He answered with one-word: "No."

But I think it might be time. The books have gotten mighty predictable -- and doesn't everyone's favorite gumshoe deserve a legendary death? Here is the rest of my argument.

What do you think?

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Wow you are a diehard fan hey. It always is great to find a series or author that you just adore so congrats on that!
    As for whether spencer should be killed off(I have never read the books but I will give you my opinion) I think yes and no. Yes because every character who has made it this long in the book world, deserves something fantastic, but also no because wouldn't that be to predictable? I hope the author has something else up his sleeve. If not I hope he just ends it because if he keeps writing with predictabilty it will ruin the series.

I hope it ends wonderfully because you have invested so much interest into it.
    Cheers
    WW