1. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Merry Christmas! Wait....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tarnished, Dec 15, 2009.

A few days ago I told someone to have a merry christmas, the person was more of an aquaintance. As I was walking away, someone told me to say "Happy Holidays", as some people don't celebrate christmas. I've heard this before but its my view that just because you don't celebrate the holiday doesn't meant you can't appreceiate or enjoy it.
    Am I wrong?
    I could really use some opinions.

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

If someone wished me "Happy Chanukah" or "Happy Kwanzaa", I would simply reply with the same- even though I don't technically 'celebrate' either.

I personally don't see why people get so uptight about it.

3. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

"Happy holidays" covers all holidays and religions..including christmas. I would stick to happy holidays because it is more respectful.

Surely other non/religions respect and perhaps do enjoy christmas but saying merry christmas doesn't really apply to their beliefs, so why direct it at them when the issue could be solved so easily.

At the same time I do not think many people would be offended if you slipped out a "merry christmas"..... because you say it with good intentions.

At the end of the day I still say Happy Holidays.
    I hope this was clear enough haha, Good luck decifering my answer.....
    WW

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree. I remember a few years ago when the whole holiday greeting thing was making a small buzz in the news in the U.S.

I cannot see why it raises such emotions.

5. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Well I also think that if someone wished me a happy kwanzaa or chanukah- I wouldn't be mad. I'd say thanks. Even though I don't celebrate it, I still can appreciate the sentiment. (sp?)

6. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Yeah. Anyone who gets mad about a simple holiday greeting needs to grow up and stop being such a big baby. It's such a silly, silly thing to raise a ruckus over and yet the USA has done it anyway.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I hate that we are making things so generic. There are times when we should say holiday instead of Christmas, like stores advertising sales for this time of year. The reason for this kind of thing was so that it would create language that shows we are in a world where everyone is free to celebrate their own holidays and are not pressured to be involved in festivals they do not celebrate. If this is a world where we are all free to celebrate in our own way, why not say the specific holiday? The world bends over backwards to make minorities feel safe to observe their own religion. Why are people who celebrate Christmas so afraid to show pride in their own culture?

As well, it creates even more assimilation to a certain extent. Some people in Toronto once wanted to call the Christmas tree outside city hall a holiday tree. That's just darn stupid. The intention must have been to be accomidating, but in the end it only imposses an image for a specific culture onto everyone. Non-Christians do not have those trees in their homes.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    I always say Christmas. I don't say it to offend people because it isn't offensive. Some people I know act like its a curse word because they aren't a Christian/Celebrate it, because they are Wiccan or simply an atheist. I don't curb my speech for anyone and I don't expect anyone to do it for me. Each to his own and what-not.

9. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I almost always get in trouble for this. I often tend to speak plainly (not to be confused with rudely), and I feel bad if I offend people, but maybe they should in turn grow thicker skin instead of whining. :rolleyes:

I dont understand what all the fuss is about with everyone trying to be politically correct and getting angry with those who arent --or those who slip.

There are times for "Happy Holidays," but not necessarily in everday conversation. For instance, if Macy's or WalMart wants to be more spirited, they should probably say happy holidays. Not because they want to avoided offending anyone, but because they should probably market to people of all religions or none at all.

I say Merry Christmas, because that's the holiday I have grown up celebrating. And a Jewish person is more than welcome to wish me a Happy Hannakuh. Or Kwanzaa. Or non-denominational day or whatever it is we have anymore.

People who tend to get in a fuss about it are generally like little bugs, minor annoyances, and really arent worth my time.
    (Oops, there I go speaking plainly again. Hope I dont offend anyone. :rolleyes: )

10. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I work in a church...so here I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. In stores and things...I generally say back whatever they said to me. If someone wished me happy Chanukah...I would wish them the same in return.

11. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I remember a local store was so afraid of offending people that they renamed "Christmas Trees" to "Holiday Trees." I felt that this was just ridiculous.

12. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I think Holiday Trees is ridiculous. Do people call a dreidel a "holiday top"?

13. Nonnie

Nonnie New Member

Farmville, VA. Yep, it's not just your least favor
    If someone wishes me a happy Chanukah, I would wish them botha happy Chanukah and a merry Christmas. Spread the cheer or whatever.

14. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would say Happy Holidays. I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah or Kwaanza, and I hope they wouldn't be offended if I said Merry Christmas. I just think "holidays" covers the 3, plus New Year's.

15. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I don't really care, and I find it amusing that people can get so upset about it either way. If I know someone prefers a particular greeting, I'll use that one.

16. Rei

It is silly that people are so bothered by it. There are times for the generic ones, and there are times for the specific ones, but there is no sense worrying about when to use which one. And yes, saying happy holidays can simply mean you're also refering to New Year's, not obsessing about political correctness

17. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I recently learned that my family is actually the reverse of people who get offended when you say "merry Christmas." My sister sent me this crazy intense forward complaining about saying "Happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas." I was a little bit bothered by it, it was that over the top. Personally, I don't care what people say to me. Anyone wishing me a happy something is cool in my book, regardless of what it is. :)

18. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

We talk about how it is silly it is for people to get offended over it (which I agree, it is silly) but I also think we have to hear what we are saying....if people are so easily offended by it......wouldn't it be easier to just go with Happy Holidays

19. LadyLazarus

LadyLazarus New Member

I tend to offer people a merry [InsertDay] all year round. Though for some reason I wish more Merry Wednesdays than any other day. But anyway, I get a little upset when people wish me a 'happy Christmas/Hanukkah/holiday', for personal reasons. But I return the sentiment and I know that it's meant in a nice way.

I'd really prefer it if people didn't wish me a happy anything this time of year.

20. NyeLew

NyeLew New Member

I'm an atheist and I refer to Christmas as Christmas because that's what it is. I celebrate Christmas because I come from a Christian culture. I don't believe in the associated mythology but that doesn't mean I can't celebrate it for its cultural meaning.

Plus, presents.

21. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I work in a call centre, where they always tell us we need to put our personalities into the call because nobody wants to call & talk to a robot. But, not to the point where we can say 'Merry Christmas' to customers. Which is ridiculous to me. It's like somebody in Germany being offended if I said 'Happy Monday' to them instead of 'Happy Montag'. Just because they call it something different, I'm still wishing them a happy time of year / day.

I think it was Liverpool (might be wrong) they tried to change Christmas to 'Winterfest'. And we live in a Christian country. If people celebrate other holidays, good on them, that's fine. But don't be offended when the country celebrates a holiday of its official religion.

Rant over =]

Rachel xx

22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

We had a thread very much along the same vein a while back and I still remember one of the responses (tho I cannot attribute the member) who posted:

"What next? Instead of Halloween, will we have to say Happy Scary Candy Day?"

I thought that was rather spot on. ;)

23. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

I dislike wishy-washiness hugely, and I think "Happy Holidays" is just that - wishy-washy. People get offended way too easily. Let your salutation be whatever holiday it is that you celebrate, and respond with whatever someone wishes you. All you're doing is exchanging good wishes, not endorsing a particular holiday or religion. And you can't please everyone, so don't try. 'K, I'm done.

24. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

It's just an exchanging of good wishes, as LS said above^. People shouldn't get offended by it.

25. Rei

Yesterday I mentioned to my cab driver that I had just come from synagogue and that was why I was taking the late train. he said Happy Chanukah to me when he dropped my off, and I said Merry Christmas to him. That's the way it should be.