1. Gemini_Genie

Gemini_Genie New Member

New Books To Read?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gemini_Genie, Apr 29, 2014.

I really need some new books to read. I've been looking online at some in particular that I haven't yet read that people have recommended to me based on my interest's but I just don't know. :( Currently I have The Color Purple, The Time Machine, and Heart of Darkness on my list. My past reads have been a lot of Dystopia novels like the Hunger Games, Ugly's Series, 1984, and some classics like Lord of the Flies, and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

What I'm looking for is a real pick me up. Something with a lot of adventure and good times, but nothing childish. I've been reading a lot of dark stuff and I want something that'll bring me into summer and not depress me. Problem is..as you see above I have a habit of picking stories with a lot of tragedy and death in them. v.v

Help me guys! I'm tired of being the depressed reader!

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Flann O'Brien is a very funny writer, so he's your guy if you're looking for something fun to read. If you've never read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, I recommend that as well. That's another funny book.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Hard to think of something uplifting. How about Jonathan Tropper's This Is Where I Leave You?

If you're willing to go nonfiction, check out some of J. Maarten Troost's books -- he has a few based on his moves to different parts of the world, such as Kiribati. That one is called The Sex Lives of Cannibals, although the title has nothing to do with the book -- just a bizarre title, probably to make you pick up the book. But it was an enjoyable read.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

What's your tolerance for murder mysteries? I've been re-reading the ones by Josephine Tey (classic, well-regarded) and Sarah Caudwell (less well-known but I think she deserves to be more well-known than she is.) Sarah Caudwell's are more consciously, if still subtly, humorous than Josephine Tey's, but I think they both leave you feeling good.

In nonfiction, if you enjoy food writing even tiny little bit, I'd recommend the three books in Calvin Trillin's Tummy Trilogy. (American Fried, Alice Let's Eat, and...er...well, Tummy Trilogy in Google will get you the third title.) Very funny.

5. Gemini_Genie

Gemini_Genie New Member

@ChickenFreak - The Tummy Trilogy sounds pretty good. I do like cooking myself. lol It's the one event even in the most depressing of books that piques my interest and pulls me out of sadness mode. Even if it's something not all that grade it's interesting to see the food choices made by characters in stories.

@chicagoliz - "The Sex Live's of Cannibals"? See now if the book was actually about that I'd STILL read it! See how weird I am? XD Regardless it still sounds interesting. I do like traveler stories.

@thirdwind -Catch 22 was one of the books on the manly mans reading list. XD I went there looking to see since they usually have some good list's and I found a ton I wanted to take a looky-loo at. I guess I'll have to add Catch 22 now so I'll know what one is. :)

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your suggestions! :love:

6. Ritrezer

Ritrezer Member

Do you like Ant-Heroes?

Artemis Fowl Series By Eoin Colfer is by far the most original and unique piece of work I've read. It's got some great humor, an Irish Criminal Genius for a hero, good writing and brilliant plot to back it all up. The child of a criminal family, next in line watches as his father is kidnapped, his mother goes mad, and all their wealth tumbles. And then, he goes on to perform one act that will change everything. It's not as dark as it sounds- it's fantasy with science and magic.

7. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I've been all up in Christopher Moore's books lately. He's a funny guy. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is popular fun read, and I enjoyed it. The John Cleaver Trilogy is entertaining, and although about a messed up kid, I wouldn't describe it as somber or heavy at all. You might like David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day is probably his most popular....though that one doesn't involve adventures.

8. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

Not sure it has an abundance of "good times," but Little Bee by Chris Cleave is an excellent read. The prose is beautiful and unique, as is the plot. Although it's a very serious subject, there are bits of humor throughout and I wouldn't call it depressing.

9. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Interesting. I did not think Little Bee was very good, and I don't recall anything humorous in it, although it's been a few years since I read it.

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I wouldn't call Catch-22 "up" reading. It is hilariously funny, pungently bitter or deeply philosophical, depending on how one reads it. But the humor is, at times, very dark. I recommend it as the only good novel Heller ever wrote, but it may not suit your purposes.

Some lighter/positive selections from my bookshelf would be (in no particular order):

Who Is Killing the Great Writers of America? - Robert Kaplow
    How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe - Charles Wu
    My Life and Hard Times - James Thurber (very old, but still guaranteed to put a smile on one's face)
    The Alchemist - Paolo Coelho
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson (though it surely will not appear on any "manly man" reading list)

11. Gemini_Genie

Gemini_Genie New Member

@EdFromNY - Major Pettigrew's Last Stand...the title just sound's funny. And My Life and Hard Time's sounds like a good pick me up. Reading or hearing about other's misfortunes somehow always makes a person feel better. The Alchemist sounds interesting too..

@Ritrezer - I can do Anti-Heroes. :) I used to see a lot of my class mates back in the day read Artemis Fowl but I could never get a good enough summary from any of them to make me want to read it. Thanks for the info! It kind of reminds me of the Bloody Jack series a little, the way you described it. Except Jacky is no genius. Just a lucky girl with skills. ;)

Ritrezer likes this.
  12. TheSmiler

TheSmiler Member

For the depressing moment when you go to Gore and death.

I've recently finished the Conqueror Series by Conn Iggulden. The books are about Genghis Khan his rise to power and control of his empire. Not really the most humorous book (accidentally misread your post). However still a good read.

Though Genghis Khan is very inspirational to me, so much death yet so much peace at the same time.