1. Judahml

Judahml Member

Micro-Micro Stories?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Judahml, Apr 11, 2016.

Hello writers, how are you all doing today?
    I am a novel writer usually in the Steampunk Genre with some experiments into midlevel crime scene investigation, and horror/suspense. I got asked to help with a project about a year back now, to help write a screen play for a modern fantasy movie. One of the things for this project I have been working on is some micro stories…I’m not sure stories is even the right word. As they need to be short enough for a status update on Twitter/Facebook. Can such a thing even be done? So far, I would call them more character sketches than anything.

“Euphoria's fingers franticly searched the floor for her necklace, while clawed feet whispered across the carpet. Life or death, hidden in the dark.”

“Saqqara was reminded of her favorite quote from Young Frankenstein. ‘Where wolf?’ She pulled back both hands and sent two knives spinning. ‘There wolf.’”

“You can not curse without lungs, but judging by its lips the severed demon head hanging from Femasiria's hand, had a very impressive vocabulary.”

So what do you think? Are these intriguing to you? If not how could I make them better? and also does this idea merit more time and energy, or should I just ditch it and move on to other ideas?

If anyone is interested in more details on the movie, it’s on Indiegogo under
    The Sapphyria Chronicles - Feature Film

2. Alejandro89

Alejandro89 Member

Well, in the writers prompt section there is a whole thread about six word stories.
    One of mines was: Forgot my glasses -said the captain.

3. terobi

terobi Senior Member

They can be done well. Some places even specifically publish them.

Two examples are Nanoism.net (these guys even pay for them) and 7x20.

4. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

I guess as long as you still apply 'start, middle, end' you can create a micro story, but unless you do something truly brilliant, it just seems pointless to me.

And if you do something great, would it not benefit expanding upon it?

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

As mentioned above, there are markets for this sort of thing. The only bad thing is that writing a good piece of micro fiction is very hard to do (harder than a regular short story, in my opinion). Don't let that discourage you, however. Plenty of micro fiction writers get published, and like any other art, it takes practice.

You should post a few micro stories in the Workshop after you've met the requirements. I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

He lovingly caressed her throat with one hand while holding the blade in the other.