1. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Automatic backup/versioning

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Phantasmal Reality, Oct 4, 2009.

I have been using the following two programs to keep my documents constantly, automatically, and securely backed up for months now. I thought I should share them for the benefit of anyone who may be looking for a good back-up solution.

FileHamster

This program is great! Just tell it what folders/files to watch and it automatically backs up and versions any files you change (to an external hard drive, a flash drive, etc.) Not only are the back-ups automatic, but the versioning is awesome! Ever make big changes to a story you were working on and wish you could go back a week and grab that one paragraph you deleted or completely changed? With FileHamster you can, without losing the changes you want to keep. I highly recommend checking this program out.

MozyHome

Maybe you've seen the commercials for them? Well, I've been using their free service for a long time, way before they were doing the commercials. A free account gets you 2 GB (more than you'll ever need if all you want to back up are documents) and the back-ups are fast, secure, and automatic. You may be asking yourself why you should use a service like Mozy when you have FileHamster or whatever back-up software you're already using, and the answer is simple: a back-up that you store in your house is no good if the whole place burns down or gets robbed or flooded out or... well, you get the picture. The odds of any of those things happening may be slim, but do you really want to bet your manuscript on that?

I hope these tools bring you some peace of mind and help you take control of your back-ups. I can hardly imagine writing without them now. :)

2. architectus

architectus Banned

What if your house burns down and Mozyhome servers blow up at the same time?

Thanks for this. Mozyhome looks very cool.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

WF.org does not in any way endorse these products, or the safety of the associated websites. As with any such recommendations from members, proceed at your own risk.

4. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Then you're either cursed or, for whatever reason, God does not want you to complete your manuscript lol. :rolleyes:

5. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

I'd imagine that will only happen when an asteroid destroys the Earth so it's really moot.