Microsoft word - is it evil?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by JadeX, Jul 21, 2015.

1. AgentBen

AgentBen Member

What? Microsoft Word is a default program for you? The thing is £80. If you got that as a default program, then lucky you.

Wreybies likes this.
  2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

1.) Photoshop latent format is .psd
    2.) .tif is an open format so any image software can use it.
    3.) Photoshop can export to pretty much any image format you can name, and a lot of ones you don't know about.
    4.) .psd is proprietary and while there are many programs that can open .psd only Photoshop can use all of the features. For example, all of the content aware features are patented, so GIMP can't access any of the content aware information inside the .psd

3. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Are you planning on going to university? If so then you'll be able to get MS Office for dirt cheap using your student number.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Meh, Microsoft Word is overrated. I just use Pages, a very simple app for writing. No need for all that other crap it shoves at me.

jannert likes this.
  5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

My school gives it to you for free.

The Mad Regent likes this.
  6. AgentBen

AgentBen Member

Of course, but that won't be for another few years to come yet.

7. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

Of course, there is also libreoffice, which is free.

8. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

But seriously flawed when it comes to exporting in .docx format. :(

9. CJT

CJT Member

Just to note, you can create macros in MS Word - for those that don't know, a macro being a way of recording any actions you do (eg: editing), and then being able to repeat them with a shortcut key, or button; they can be as intricate as you wish, and contain many, many actions. - So, if you are using some other software to write in and you need to transfer to Word, just work out what always needs fixing when you do this (indenting, font, line spacing, etc.), record it as a macro, and save it; next time, you will just have to use your shortcut and 'TA DAA!', all done.
    Either check it out online, or if anyone needs any help with this, PM me.

You can change the settings in Word to autosave every x minutes, to prevent losing major amounts of work - I set mine to 2 minutes (some may think that incredibly low, but I worked in IT Security for 6 years, and have seen so many document edits lost, due to setting it too high, and then shutting down the system for some reason or other.)

As Komposten said:
    If you haven't closed the document, then the entire revision history is there. Ctrl+Z will take you back one step at a time, or the little downward pointing triangle, next to the Undo arrow, will open a list of edits, and you can choose the point to revert to.

Another option, for the super paranoid (like myself), or just plain unlucky (once or twice, also myself), is to get some free backup software, and save to another drive, or the cloud. Some of it will allow you to save new copies each time it detects any changes to the file - that way, you have a full version history of any document.

Having said all that, I actually use Scrivener to do my writing in, but that's just because it has options that I use, like the corkboard, etc. But, at the end of the day, if you are using, and happy with, MS Word, what does it matter - when you send your work in, regardless of what you wrote it on, it will most likely be opened in Word, anyway. :whistle:

Komposten likes this.
  10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't know what you guys are doing to lose you work in Word. I use Word almost daily and do a lot of work in it, and I can't remember the last time I've lost anything. Has to have been well over a decade ago, and probably quite a bit longer than that.

11. CJT

CJT Member

@Steerpike

Last place I worked went laptops all the way, and the Sales team, especially, used to do daft things like turn off the autosave, and then shutdown the computer without thinking - yes, yes, yes to all the shutdown prompts.
    Also, I have managed to Blue Screen a few machines, or crash/hang them, through running too many applications and Remote sessions, etc. LOL!

12. Komposten

Well, if you lose content because you don't save it's not the software's fault and not the software that needs to be fixed or replaced.

Tesoro and jannert like this.
  13. fivetoesten

fivetoesten Member

Really? Even recently? I think their export filters are getting better and better. How about just saving to .doc?

14. Steerpike

Seems fine for most documents. When I have a lot of heavy formatting, or tables, and the like, I find that both LO and OO mess up the document. Oddly, for some aspects Google Docs does a better job of converting. But for something like writing a story, where you just have basic formatting, I haven't seen much problems with LO and OO producing a proper .doc(x) document.

15. Komposten

I'm not sure about .doc, but every time I export as .docx I have to go through the document to make sure nothing's been messed up. With pure writing there shouldn't be a problem, but when it comes to things like reports (with diagrams, tables, images, etc.) I don't trust it anymore.

16. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Microsoft may be an evil corporation - mainly for the ludicrous prices they charge for their software - but word is a good programme. And the industry standard for documents is .doc. I know some places have finally started upgrading to .docx, but as some have reported here, it can come with problems.

The simple fact is that whatever software you use to write with, send your files as .doc files (word 1997 - 2003). Make sure they look good in that, and you'll have less problems.

Personally I use Libre Office on my laptop, but save all my docs at all times as .doc.

Cheers, Greg.

17. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Word does bug me sometimes, but it's been my go-to writing platform for 10+ years now. I just need a blank page to type on, and I'm good. Word does that for me. I never thought about being ashamed to use it. I've been looking into Scrivener recently because I like the organizational aspect of it, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I don't feel like I need it, you know? It's luxury, not necessity. Word is perfectly acceptable for what I do.

18. Steerpike

For just having a blank page to type into, FocusWriter is pretty cool. And free.

19. dfberns

dfberns New Member

Word has been around forever, and isn't going anywhere soon -- Word is the de facto standard...

20. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Unless I am mistaken, most of the softwares you load work off of a word framework anyway. That's how my screenwriting softwares work, such as final draft.

I like the plain vanilla simplicity of Word. I set my margins and fonts etc and jump right in. <ifwehada'cheers'emogionthissiteIwouldhaveuseditrighthere>

21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Because it looks professional, and most publishers want a .doc (unless it is BAEN, then it has to be .rtf or .pdf, yeah they are weird). Overall .doc is the preferred by most that I have seen. I grew up with Word back when it was in DOS, so it is familiar to me. :p

22. Komposten

They might want .doc (or .docx), but that doesn't mean the document has to be written in Word. Most processors can either save as .doc or export as it. :)

23. Cave Troll

@Komposten I know, it just saves a the extra step. That and I am not saying it is the best. :p

24. Steerpike

It's not really even an extra step. When you save the document, you just "save as" a .doc file. For normal fiction manuscripts, Google Docs, Libre Office, Open Office, Kingsoft/WPS, and probably even Abiword save to .doc format just fine.

If you're writing a technical document with content like formulas, complex tables, and the like, you're better off using MSWord if that's that ultimate format you need.

25. Cave Troll

It was an extra step to transfer a .doc over to a .rtf in Wordpad. I am not familiar with those other programs that you mention, but hey if it works who am I judge. Tend to try and keep things simple enough, if not a tad lazy when it comes to finding/using a writing program. :p