1. gina

gina Member

Can Children's Book Authors Make a Good Living?

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by gina, Nov 20, 2015.

I'm interested in writing a series of children's books. I generally love to write and have a passion for children's books but my question is can I make a good enough living to support myself? It seems these types of books don't get great advances and a big chunk of the money goes to the illustrator. I've heard of authors making money by doing public speaking and making appearances reading the books at schools. I want to make this my full time profession, really dedicate myself to the craft. So is it possible to be a full time independent children's book author and support myself financially?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Pretty sure a writer like Richard Scarry made a decent living from his writing and illustrating, as did Dr Seuss. But like any genre, there are a few (little) people that make a lot and a lot of people that make a little (few).

tonguetied likes this.
  3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, very few people can support themselves from writing alone. And I'm using "support themselves" fairly loosely here. So while not impossible, it's hard to do. It's best to have a day job to pay the bills, etc. That being said, don't let facts get you down. Keep at it, and good luck!

4. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

Exceptionally few writers in any genre support themselves solely through book sales. I am sure, however, that a well-written and well-published set of children's books could form a decent part of your income.