1. tuxter

tuxter New Member

Looking for some tips when writing lyrics.

Discussion in 'Research' started by tuxter, Sep 17, 2012.

Hey, so I'm not exactly new to song writing, but I would like to get better. I can say that my lyrics easily compare to that of mainstream music. But I want to surpass the mundane. I have a good sense of poetic meter, so I'm good there, I'd just like to add more depth to my lyrics without making them too heavy so to speak. I know one of my problems when it comes to writing lyrics is that I have a tendency to be too descriptive, other than that I don't how to improve myself.

My goal is to be able to write lyrics comparable to a band called La Dispute. The lyricist for this band is one of the best I've heard. As well, another lyricist I admire is from the band called The Matches (no longer together), more specifically their last two albums. I want my lyrics to have poetic, musical, and literary value to them. I don't want them to be only as deep as the words themselves.

I'm more or less looking for any studies or essays on the anatomy or composition of good lyrics. I've searched Google but all I have found are tutorials that have seemingly been written by monkeys. And whenever I use a specific search phrase like "art of lyrics" or "lyrical arts" I get different hip hop type Facebook pages and other similar stuff.

2. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

Just out of curiosity, which books on lyric writing have you read already?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a lyricist, among other things and i mentor aspiring ones, so feel free to email me for detailed help... the best how-to on the craft is by sheila davis, former pres. of the songwriters guild of america, who taught me the basics... you can get it from amazon or thewritersstore.com